UCSF: Gayest med school around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this school is the perfect match for me -- check out all the openly gay and lesbian faculty this campus has (so, so, so much more than the two or three that were out at most other highly ranked medical schools)... For those who have interviewed there: is ucsf the gayest med school you visited? (my interview there is on monday!)

UCSF out list

Members don't see this ad.

Hahaha, that is a lot. It doesn't hurt that SF is one of the most liberal cities in the world and that people will be more willing to come out. I'm not gay myself, but have a great deal of friends who are, having grown up in the city. And of course, the city is very gay friendly and Castro has one of the largest gay communities in the country. Funny thing is at one of the laundromats in the area, it has a sign that reads "We only serve gays" Hahaha, I get a good laught of that.

Good luck on your impending deicision and congrats on your great acceptances.

Mateodaspy said:
I think this school is the perfect match for me -- check out all the openly gay and lesbian faculty this campus has (so, so, so much more than the two or three that were out at most other highly ranked medical schools)... For those who have interviewed there: is ucsf the gayest med school you visited? (my interview there is on monday!)

UCSF out list

Some of the most amazing people I work with are on that list!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see anything wrong with gays and lesbians but i don't get the point of making such a big deal of it.

Dr. Josh said:
I don't see anything wrong with gays and lesbians but i don't get the point of making such a big deal of it.

I hope you never have to endure the pain of people throwing stones at you, of being beat up and having your nose and bones broken (a la my dear friend in Chapel Hill, NC) or having people assault you on the road for wearing pec-enhancing t-shirts, or have your family disown you and throw you out in the streets, or have orthodox Christian ministers condemn you to hell even at your own funeral.
I hope these things never happen to you. That's why they make a big deal about it.

(PS: The last bit about funerals was from the Emily Watson movie "breaking the waves," which has nothing to do with gay at all, but I thought I'd add it in for dramatics).

Dr. Josh said:

I'm sure that the gays and lesbians of the world are appreciative that you don't find anything wrong with them.

Until the 1970s, gays in this country were largely closeted and could not be out in public spaces, particularly those in positions of authority/prominence. (Read up on Stonewall and Harvey Milk, etc, if you're actually interested in understanding more about the development of the gay rights movement in the U.S.) Coming out in a public and open way is, in large part, about proudly procaliming something that was widely considered shameful in the not-too-distant past.

And yes, I live in SF and love this city.

Dr. Josh said:

Sure, I totally agree with you! However, what many people consider "making a big deal about one's sexuality" is saying things that any average heterosexual would say about their opposite-sex partner, but if a gay person talks openly about their same-sex partner, all of a sudden they are "flaunting" their sexuality. That's bullsh.it.

Until I am given equal rights under the law in this country (the right to adopt children, to get married, to not be fired from my job for being gay, the right to serve in the military openly, and the ability to be open about the person whom I love without fear of persecution or physical harm), I will not stop making a "big deal" about my sexuality.

Thank you for your concern.

Mateodaspy said:
Sure, I totally agree with you! However, what many people consider "making a big deal about one's sexuality" is saying things that any average heterosexual would say about their opposite-sex partner, but if a gay person talks openly about their same-sex partner, all of a sudden they are "flaunting" their sexuality. That's bullsh.it.

Until I am given equal rights under the law in this country (the right to adopt children, to get married, to not be fired from my job for being gay, the right to serve in the military openly, and the ability to be open about the person whom I love without fear of persecution or physical harm), I will not stop making a "big deal" about my sexuality.

The above post is why I am proposing marriage to you, Matt.

*Gets down on knees a la Jerry Springer show guest*
Matt, will you marry me?

GuyLaroche said:
The above post is why I am proposing marriage to you, Matt.

*Gets down on knees a la Jerry Springer show guest*
Matt, will you marry me?

Maybe if we both end up in Boston come September...

Mateodaspy said:

I think SF is THE place to be if you're gay. After moving here, you'll wonder how on earth you made it through four years in Houston...

davidus said:
I think SF is THE place to be if you're gay. After moving here, you'll wonder how on earth you made it through four years in Houston...

where are you from originally?

davidus said:

and i guess NYC is THE OTHER place to be if you're gay... (random tidbit: my gay roommate is from dallas...)

Mateodaspy said:

UCSF out list
wow that's quite the list
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Josh said:

I don't see anything wrong with them either. When they get carried away and make it a big deal, it just becomes lame and a way for them to get attention. Let them have their day in the sun too. It's better than the alternative - incessantly trying to become the victims.

--

Last edited:
+Alberto Curotto, PhD
Research Assistant, Center for AIDS Prevention Studies

(Plus sign = HIV Positive).
Anyone else see the irony in this?

GuyLaroche said:
(PS: The last bit about funerals was from the Emily Watson movie "breaking the waves," which has nothing to do with gay at all, but I thought I'd add it in for dramatics).

You're a typical drama queen.

VPDcurt said:
+Alberto Curotto, PhD
Research Assistant, Center for AIDS Prevention Studies

(Plus sign = HIV Positive).
Perhaps it's not irony. In all likelihood it's given him motivation to work on the project. I'm not sure if you intended it to come across this way or not, but belittling someone for being HIV positive is just an awful thing to do. It's like making fun of somone who has a terminal lung cancer.

bananaface said:
I'm not sure if you intended it to come across this way or not, but belittling someone for being HIV positive is just an awful thing to do. It's like making fun of somone who has a terminal lung cancer.

Agreed, but you put it a lot nicer than I was thinking it.

--

Last edited:
every1blowz said:
How exactly did he belittle that person?

Yeah no kidding. They are just being defensive, that's all. I don't take it personally.

bananaface said:
By finding amusement in their HIV status. But, I hope that it was not an intentional jab.

You must have found amusement in it, because I never said anything about finding it amusing.

woweeee..... cool. i'll start at U of Chicago this fall but maybe i should think about residency in SF.

the plus people - that's a whole other level of "coming out" - extremely courageous. and obviously it makes sense that someone working for aids prevention would be hiv positive. i mean... breast cancer survivors tend to be pretty motivated to educate about breast cancer prevention, yeah?

bananaface said:
By finding amusement in their HIV status. But, I hope that it was not an intentional jab.

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread. Feel free to move back to the original topic.

Interesting. A mod tries to instigate an argument while hijacking the thread - I've never seen that before.

frycek said:
breast cancer survivors tend to be pretty motivated to educate about breast cancer prevention, yeah?

Totally different scenario. I honestly hope that you can see the difference here.

sigh. yet another reason i am sad to be rejected. somehow i can't shake this one...

VPDcurt said:
You must have found amusement in it, because I never said anything about finding it amusing.
I'm glad to see that we are on the same page on the amusement factor.

I actually have nothing to defend (ie: I'm straight). I was honestly shocked at your observation. It's usually the sort of thing that someone would say to be inflammatory, as it really has nothing to do with the issue at hand and can only serve to bring about unrest. But, since you say you did not mean to do this, I am willing to accept that at face value.

VPDcurt said:
Totally different scenario. I honestly hope that you can see the difference here.

Perhaps someone with type II diabetes (who likely engaged in some behavior to cause their acquisition of the disorder) might want to become an advocate for type II diabetes prevention. Would you criticize him/her in the same way that you made your backhanded comment about the HIV/AIDS prevention researcher? I don't think you would, but if you still think it would be appropriate, then perhaps you would benefit from some sensitivity training once you're in medical school (on the off chance you get in somewhere).

--

Last edited:
Mateodaspy said:
Perhaps someone with type II diabetes (who likely engaged in some behavior to cause their acquisition of the disorder) might want to become an advocate for type II diabetes prevention. Would you criticize him/her in the same way that you made your backhanded comment about the HIV/AIDS prevention researcher? I don't think you would, but if you still think it would be appropriate, then perhaps you would benefit from some sensitivity training once you're in medical school (on the off chance you get in somewhere).

Defensive (as usual).

VPDcurt said:
Defensive (as usual).

Trolling the gay-related threads (as usual). Suspicious much? ;)

every1blowz said:
That was so full of ****.

First of all, his observation was not "shocking". Everyone was thinking the same thing, unless you really are so blind as to completely miss the irony in it.

The issue at hand? Last time I checked it had to do something about gay schools. The guy simply made an observation about one of the faculty members, who happened to be gay. Completely on TOPIC.

I think you need to apologize for getting going ballistic over absolutely nothing, and basically accusing somone of being a homophobe.

An apology would occur only in an ideal world. In reality, they'd rather be the victims. This is a classic example of that fact.

Mateodaspy said:
Trolling the gay-related threads (as usual). Suspicious much? ;)

There is nothing suspicious about it. In the other thread about NYMC, I was simply sticking up for NYMC and its actions. This is the second "gay-related thread" I've posted in, so it's really not all that common for me to "troll" such threads. Why do my opinions bother you so much anyway? I'm not defensive regarding my preferences, and there is no reason why you should be either.

VPDcurt said:
There is nothing suspicious about it. In the other thread about NYMC, I was simply sticking up for NYMC and its actions. This is the second "gay-related thread" I've posted in, so it's really not all that common for me to "troll" such threads. Why do my opinions bother you so much anyway? I'm not defensive regarding my preferences, and there is no reason why you should be either.

There's no need to get so emotional, dude. Chill out.

VPDcurt said:

I don't see anything wrong with them either. When they get carried away and make it a big deal, it just becomes lame and a way for them to get attention. Let them have their day in the sun too. It's better than the alternative - incessantly trying to become the victims.

An apology would occur only in an ideal world. In reality, they'd rather be the victims. This is a classic example of that fact.

And we're to accept your expertise on the behavioral patterns of homosapeins, homosexual erectus.

You talk about gays like Jane Goodall about Chimpanzees.

Projection doesn't work with me.

ingamina said:

Haha. It's always "Me me me." I'm not asking you to care so get over yourself...seriously.

It seems you were neglected as a child.

ingamina said:
It seems you were neglected as a child.

If I was neglected as a child, I would have teeth marks in my pillow. However, I do not so therefore it is not even a possibility.

VPDcurt said:
If I was neglected as a child, I would have teeth marks in my pillow. However, I do not so therefore it is not even a possibility.

Fair enough. :D

Still, there's something to be said of the grooming habits of gays and the chimps, wouldn't you say, Jane?

ingamina said:

Hey ingamina! :love: where ya been? I hope all's going well for you.

Anyways, yea, i really wanted UCSF too, but got rejected presecondary. I think you have to be really non-traditional or have astronomical stats (a la mateo ;))
to be considered.

...or be a minority. i heard UCSF is 50% minority. nothing wrong with that, but i think that they are highly recruited at UCSF.

VPDcurt said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Was that a pillow-biter joke? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That was like the funniest joke ever on SDN. Like seriously. Ever. You are like seriously funny! Seriously.

Hey, mods can you smack this fool? I can't reach him.

Hey Getunconcsious -

You're already goin to an awesome school, so don't fret,
but I bet SF will always want you to come do your residency there.

I'm still finishin my pre-req's and waitin to hear about my last interview - got my fingers crossed - but if it comes down to it, I'll take the mcat again to score better, I think I will after having taken physics and organic.. hahah..

the only way a med school could be more gay than UCSF is if UMiami opened a satelite campus in key west. key west is the gayest place on earth. im not writing this in a negative tone. please don't take it the wrong way. key west is just as gay as it gets :laugh: .