UCSF....I'm Innnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
troopa said:
I must ask, what exactly is so great about UCSF? It's match list is not all that different from other schools, it's located in one of the most expensive places in the country, facilities are merely ok... Yea, it's ranked highly according to US News, but what exactly does that mean for a med student there? One can have research positions at just about any med school and such...am I not gettin something here?

For me, it had the same as the others but with an incredibly down-to-earth student body that seemed to be in for something other than just "the name" (cough, cough HARVARD). I've never lived on the West Coast and I think it would be fun. Excuse me, hella fun.

But... I haven't heard anything so... for now, it's not all that, nope, not at all. Nothing special, nothing to get worked up over...

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone on the east coast got a letter from ucsf today? for those that have interviewed in late nov or dec, did u guys get a response yet? thanks :)

qui1027 said:
has anyone on the east coast got a letter from ucsf today? for those that have interviewed in late nov or dec, did u guys get a response yet? thanks :)
I interviewed on 12/19. No response yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
qui1027 said:
I also haven't heard anything. Since yesterday was President's Day I am hoping that tomorrow will be the day. By the way, I just discovered this forum, and it's awesome.

Interviewed first week of Dec and I'm assuming this month's over on the East coast. 3 days from mailing would have been Saturday, and nada today either. Bring on March!

For those of us who interviewed in nov/dec and still have not gotten a response, does this mean we are still under review or we are most likely to get rejected or put on waitlist? i mean we have been passed on for both rounds...is march the last round of acceptances? :confused:

DeadorAlive said:
Interviewed first week of Dec and I'm assuming this month's over on the East coast. 3 days from mailing would have been Saturday, and nada today either. Bring on March!

qui1027 said:
For those of us who interviewed in nov/dec and still have not gotten a response, does this mean we are still under review or we are most likely to get rejected or put on waitlist? i mean we have been passed on for both rounds...is march the last round of acceptances? :confused:

No, March is not the last round. I interviewed on Feb 14 and we were told we would hear after the April 15th meeting.

gossmer said:
No, March is not the last round. I interviewed on Feb 14 and we were told we would hear after the April 15th meeting.
LOL...I can't wait for them to start saying, "OK guys, now don't worry, you'll probably hear something after our July 15th meeting." Hilarious. :rolleyes:

They're still interviewing. I hope to be joining in on this conversation with y'all soon....
I was at Sugar Bowl, skiing and my phone rang.. "Private Call"...
UCSF was on the other line, inviting me for next week!!!!!!!! :D
Wish me some luck. And luck back to everyone. :luck:

Good luck with your interview, and ask VERY LEADING QUESTIONS about when we can expect to hear, how many spots they've already given away, and is DeadorAlive's full ride ready yet?

No, seriously, good luck, and welcome to the world of heart-jumping-every-time-you-see-the-mailman.

congrats nikibean...might this even trump davis for ya? ;)

ambaduchi said:
congrats nikibean...might this even trump davis for ya? ;)

As Davis hasn't even invited me to interview, I have to say: YUP!
I'm nervous, guys. Tuesday approaches... I had a dream last night that I got lost and ended up late to my interview. I woke up totally breathless and had to calm myself down.

PS Who *are* you? Jay? Or are you someone I took down the Tuolumne who interviews at Davis?

Members don't see this ad :)
nikibean said:
As Davis hasn't even invited me to interview, I have to say: YUP!
I'm nervous, guys. Tuesday approaches... I had a dream last night that I got lost and ended up late to my interview. I woke up totally breathless and had to calm myself down.

PS Who *are* you? Jay? Or are you someone I took down the Tuolumne who interviews at Davis?

haha, you have tame nightmares about interviews. i had this one dream that seemed to be crossed with a james bond movie. i could only see the interviewer's body sitting in a tall leather chair behind a huge desk and he was stroking a white cat. freaky.

i hope you get to see the VA, it's got a nice view (of the bay?) and a hiking trail in the back.

Hey Everyone,

I'm joining this thread because I just interviewed at UCSF last week and LOVED IT!! It is my new #1 choice and I will be camping next to my mailbox come April. I'm not sure how the interviews went, though. They were both nice, but neither said anything positive at the end of the interview indicating their feelings about me. How did other people's interviews go?

One other thing I wanted to add: while I chatted with an admissions person in the office, I saw her stuffing acceptance letters into envelopes, so they're on their way! (I was so tempted to grab one! :D )

Ugh... so they've already decided and are just going to sit on the acceptances for 2 weeks?? UGH! JUST TELL US!!! Were they stuffing a LOT of acceptance envelopes? :)

kirexhana said:
haha, you have tame nightmares about interviews. i had this one dream that seemed to be crossed with a james bond movie. i could only see the interviewer's body sitting in a tall leather chair behind a huge desk and he was stroking a white cat. freaky.

i hope you get to see the VA, it's got a nice view (of the bay?) and a hiking trail in the back.

ha ha- that sounds like Dr. Evil, "No we do not gnaw on our kit-ty. Just love him, stroke him..." Hee hee.

I've seen the VA before- but not this time. Both of my interviews were at SFGH. My day was hectic but awesome. I'm in love with the school.
:love:

It started out with me getting off work here in Sac later than I thought because our closer didn't come to work, so I got to drive in 5:30pm Sac to Bay Area traffic in the POURING curtain of rain. My best friend lives in Oakland (25 years best friend) and she made me sit down and have two glasses of cabernet before she took me to dinner. I love her. We woke up all happy, had coffee, and I was on my merry way.
Then there was the Bay Bridge. Dude. I just about had a nervous breakdown. I left at 6:50, made it to the metering lights at 7:27. Was at 9th and Howard at 7:40. It was still raining, with thunderstorms in Marin I could see. I seriously thought I'd have to call and have a big black mark against me, but miraculously I pull into the parking lot at 7:52 and was at the library at 7:58. I kid you not. :eek:
After that, it was cool. The facilities are amazing. I went to a second year class and was drawn in by the teaching style of a professor who was just awesome- I was enraptured by his method of question/answer with students, and didn't want to leave class. Saw some of my post-bac buddies on campus, all of whom I would pick to have as my physicians, and they gave me hugs and words of encouragement. The students seemed happy and hard-working, were very candid, and were willing to discuss just about anything.
My interviewers acted like real people. I felt as though I could have had a beer with both of them. My second interviewer and I ended up discussing some political stuff in which we were really like-minded and had to keep coming back to "the interview". It was fun, although I was spent by the end of the day. Both of my interviewers were very encouraging, and gave me some positive feedback, although they also stressed the "entire application."

As to info for everyone waiting, again, they stressed the fact that they look at your application as a whole (I can't even tell you how many times I heard that) and to not call, etc. One of the interviewers I had gave me some insight to how they do it, and essentially it boils down to the fact that if you're "high priority" you have a 90% chance of getting in. Almost nobody is accepted off the bat (so for those of you who have been, congratulations).
I also found it interesting that they cared about my essay score. Weird.

Hope that helps. Now I get to join your support group regarding "Mail-Carrier philia or phobia?: how to be impartial to the messenger while treating your letter-induced OCD." :laugh:

nikibean said:
ha ha- that sounds like Dr. Evil, "No we do not gnaw on our kit-ty. Just love him, stroke him..." Hee hee.

I've seen the VA before- but not this time. Both of my interviews were at SFGH. My day was hectic but awesome. I'm in love with the school.

It started out with me getting off work here in Sac later than I thought because our closer didn't come to work, so I got to drive in 5:30pm Sac to Bay Area traffic in the POURING curtain of rain. My best friend lives in Oakland (25 years best friend) and she made me sit down and have two glasses of cabernet before she took me to dinner. I love her. We woke up all happy, had coffee, and I was on my merry way.
Then there was the Bay Bridge. Dude. I just about had a nervous breakdown. I left at 6:50, made it to the metering lights at 7:27. Was at 9th and Howard at 7:40. It was still raining, with thunderstorms in Marin I could see. I seriously thought I'd have to call and have a big black mark against me, but miraculously I pull into the parking lot at 7:52 and was at the library at 7:58. I kid you not. :eek:
After that, it was cool. The facilities are amazing. I went to a second year class and was drawn in by the teaching style of a professor who was just awesome- I was enraptured by his method of question/answer with students, and didn't want to leave class. Saw some of my post-bac buddies on campus, all of whom I would pick to have as my physicians, and they gave me hugs and words of encouragement. The students seemed happy and hard-working, were very candid, and were willing to discuss just about anything.
My interviewers acted like real people. I felt as though I could have had a beer with both of them. My second interviewer and I ended up discussing some political stuff in which we were really like-minded and had to keep coming back to "the interview". It was fun, although I was spent by the end of the day. Both of my interviewers were very encouraging, and gave me some positive feedback, although they also stressed the "entire application."

As to info for everyone waiting, again, they stressed the fact that they look at your application as a whole (I can't even tell you how many times I heard that) and to not call, etc. One of the interviewers I had gave me some insight to how they do it, and essentially it boils down to the fact that if you're "high priority" you have a 90% chance of getting in. Almost nobody is accepted off the bat (so for those of you who have been, congratulations).
I also found it interesting that they cared about my essay score. Weird.

Hope that helps. Now I get to join your support group regarding "Mail-Carrier philia or phobia?: how to be impartial to the messenger while treating your letter-induced OCD." :laugh:

awwwww... i'm so glad you had a good time! 90% off the high priority list?!?!?!? i dunno if its that high, but i really hope so. :)

Damn, I hate it when this thread bumps back up to the front page. I was hoping to forget about UCSF until about March 14th or so, but noooo, there it is back up on page 1, staring me in the face! :scared:

When I interviewed, they told us that about half the matriculating students come from the waitlist and about half were accepted outright. I don't know what this means for our chances post-interview, though--it's all so confusing! Oh, and about the acceptances I saw being stuffed in envelopes: it did look like there was a large pile, but I didn't see if the envelopes were addressed yet or not, so maybe they were just prepping them without having made actual decisions.

MNsocsci said:
When I interviewed, they told us that about half the matriculating students come from the waitlist and about half were accepted outright. I don't know what this means for our chances post-interview, though--it's all so confusing! Oh, and about the acceptances I saw being stuffed in envelopes: it did look like there was a large pile, but I didn't see if the envelopes were addressed yet or not, so maybe they were just prepping them without having made actual decisions.

This wait is killing me! AAgggh.

I almost lost this thread! :eek:
Let the count-down begin!!! 8 more days till they meet... 9 until we start getting letters! :scared:

Luisito, you just made my head explode. Good thing there's little chance I'll hear before the 18th on the East coast (not that it's mattered the last 2 decision points.... boo!) and that there's Harvard to fret about in the meantime.

Yay for March! So much fretting!

ogod are we back here already? i've been studiously avoiding this thread. i don't think i can take much more of this...am starting to lose it.

let me in, just let me in dammit!!! i'm going to go on a hunger strike.

bumpity-bump.... we were on page 10... with 4 days to go!!!!

Aaargh! I saw this and thought to myself, dear god did the adcoms meet already? Even though it's very unlikely I'll hear in March, I still can't help but wonder.
I want to go here so badly.

And it's a full moon on Tuesday the 14th.... awooooooo!

The countdown begins.....aaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are there any other adcom meetings this month, or just the 3/15 one?

As far as I know, they only meet on the 15th of each month.... and the 15th is tomorrow.... :eek:

people in the So. Bay will start posting in two days... southern cali (that's me) in 3 days :scared: ...and so on!!!!
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

LuisitoMD said:
As far as I know, they only meet on the 15th of each month.... and the 15th is tomorrow.... :eek:

people in the So. Bay will start posting in two days... southern cali (that's me) in 3 days :scared: ...and so on!!!!
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

Santa Barbara should hear by friday? For sure by saturday?

DoctorC said:
Santa Barbara should hear by friday? For sure by saturday?
Yea that's what I'm feeling for San Diego too. :luck:

Full moon tonight! Howl and make your wishes, boys and girls.
:luck: :luck: :luck:

Any of you guys know what form the acceptance comes in?

I've heard "thick envelope" on this thread, but does that mean regular tri-folded-letter size? or a large 8.5x11 packet?

Best of luck to all in the next couple days!

Bluntman said:

I've heard "thick envelope" on this thread, but does that mean regular tri-folded-letter size? or a large 8.5x11 packet?

There is no mistaking it since it is in a large 8.5X11 packet. Good luck!

Bluntman said:

Ok, so do waitlists come in a regular enveloper? And rejections? This is so obsessive. Sigh. Must get a hobby.

gossmer said:
Ok, so do waitlists come in a regular enveloper? And rejections? This is so obsessive. Sigh. Must get a hobby.

Rejections definitely come in the classic thin envelope. Le sigh. Hope everyone has better luck than me. :rolleyes:

The envelope is large but not thick and you can certainly tell just by seeing it . Good luck to you all.

:scared: :eek: :barf:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UCSF folk, here's a tale to take your mind off things...

To tell a cool story while we're all waiting:

I saw an avalanche today. I took the first few days of this week off for some much-needed vacation/skiing time and was using my pass at Sugar Bowl. While on the Mt. Lincoln lift, I saw three tele-skiiers going down one of the Palisades chutes, then a loud noise, and I felt my stomach sink...
One out-skiied it. One was close to the top and he got out quickly. Ski Patrol was ON it, which was good to see- about 10 people showed up within about 2 minutes, and they fortunately got the third guy out. He was okay. Lucky. It looked like a 70 foot slide. Usually people don't die of suffocation, they die of trauma (like a patroller at Mammoth this year- she had a broken femur and a severed femoral artery, and died of her injuries).
Pretty wild. That's the first time I've seen one. Took my mind off of a lot of things.

:eek:

nikibean said:
UCSF folk, here's a tale to take your mind off things...

To tell a cool story while we're all waiting:

I saw an avalanche today. I took the first few days of this week off for some much-needed vacation/skiing time and was using my pass at Sugar Bowl. While on the Mt. Lincoln lift, I saw three tele-skiiers going down one of the Palisades chutes, then a loud noise, and I felt my stomach sink...
One out-skiied it. One was close to the top and he got out quickly. Ski Patrol was ON it, which was good to see- about 10 people showed up within about 2 minutes, and they fortunately got the third guy out. He was okay. Lucky. It looked like a 70 foot slide. Usually people don't die of suffocation, they die of trauma (like a patroller at Mammoth this year- she had a broken femur and a severed femoral artery, and died of her injuries).
Pretty wild. That's the first time I've seen one. Took my mind off of a lot of things.

:eek:

that's insane. really gives you some perspective on life. i remember the last time i had the feeling, i was in a pool, there was this woman drowning next to me. she didn't yell, or scream or thrash about, she just went under and sunk so i thought she was diving. didn't come up for like a minute, i saw her stop moving so i dove under and pulled her back up. she wasn't breathing. thankfully the lifeguard gave her cpr. and she coughed up the water in her lungs. man, moments when you witness the fragility of human life are really freaky. i know it's not as crazy as an avalanche, but i sort of get what you mean.

aaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey so I've kinda forgot during the course of the med school decision chaos of the last month:

Have rejections and waitlists started going out in these monthly UCSF batches? or are the options still accpetance or nothing (i.e. wait in limbo until the April 15th batch)?

Bluntman said:
Hey so I've kinda forgot during the course of the med school decision chaos of the last month:

Have rejections and waitlists started going out in these monthly UCSF batches? or are the options still accpetance or nothing (i.e. wait in limbo until the April 15th batch)?

yea, high priority waitlist right here... :(

Bluntman said:

I had the same question. Anyone? Have they been sending rejections, etc. all on the 15th?

Thanks and good luck!

kirexhana said:
yea, high priority waitlist right here... :(
Ahhh right, the high priority thing. It's supposed to be pretty good though as far as waitlists go right?

Bluntman said:
Ahhh right, the high priority thing. It's supposed to be pretty good though as far as waitlists go right?
I certainly do hope so!!!!!!!!! cuz i'm on it too, it was sent before the 15th though. I think they only sent out one batch of high priority and they were all the 1st week of Feb.

Any word on post-interview rejections? Have they been sending them out on the 15th as well?