UCSF Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfdevl02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello People-

I was just wondering how long you guys and gals waited after your secondary was complete to hear from UCSF for an interview. Surprisingly, i heard about a secondary after like 3 weeks after i submitted my UC primary so i'm hoping that an interiew decision will be equally as quick (for better or worse). I applied very late (in Oct) so i wouldn't be surprised if i got a rejection soon. I'm also an out of state applicant with numbers nowhere near UCSF's standards....it's my reach reach school but i'd love to get an interview there (MCAT 28, 3.56 GPA at Duke, 3.3 science gpa). I guess people are right in saying how random this whole process is.....

Members don't see this ad.

Any current UCSFers or people who have gotten in??

UCSF is really driving me nuts. I mailed in my UC application to them on about october 21. then finally on nov 15, their website showed that they'd received the UC app. Now I'm waiting for them to decide I'm worthy of a secondary. :rolleyes:
at least from what I hear its relatively easy.
all in all, I think UCSF is getting swamped.... their website says something about AMCAS delays, so I'm guessing they're just backlogged.
(I'm also out of state, so maybe that slows things down too)

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel like i've read that turnaround is quick from secondary to interview for some people. they may be slow if you're borderline. have you done a search? my app's been complete for about 8 weeks now. i'm not expecting good news, but i guess you never know.

took 2 weeks for me to get a secondary and 8 full weeks after that for a response about interview. when i interviewed for mstp they were about 2/3's the way through, but i don't think that number relates to med stuff. goodluc
-jot

My secondary was complete by 10/13, and they sent e-mail requesting an interview 11/4. It does seem like a very random process because I know some people who had a longer turnaround time, and others who had an even shorter turnaround time. I had a very pleasant interview on 11/13, and I was told that they try to send out acceptance letters around the 15th of each month, while rejection and waitlist letters are sent around the 1st of each month.

For those who interviewed, you are sending thank you notes. In the interview packet, they kinda mention that it isn't necessary. No other school has said this, so just wondering if you think it is still a good idea to send one or not. Thanks (I know... this is an anal question)

they explicitly say not to communicate at all with your med interviewers. at. all. good luck on dec15th for those waiting.
-jot

I didn't send thank yous. I got in. I've always felt a little guilty, because I really clicked with my interviewers. If you got their address, rather than sending it c/o admissions, I'd send one. As to explicitly saying not to communicate, I've never heard that. Obviously, don't pester your interviewer, or contact them to ask about your chances of getting in, or for advice. But a thank you note that they don't have to reply to if you feel like expressing your appreciation for their time would probably be just fine.

This is way off topic, but Paeann, isn't the girl who was Miss California in your med school class? She had done pretty well at Miss America too. I think they said she was going to UCSF med school.

Originally posted by paean
I didn't send thank yous. I got in. I've always felt a little guilty, because I really clicked with my interviewers. If you got their address, rather than sending it c/o admissions, I'd send one. As to explicitly saying not to communicate, I've never heard that. Obviously, don't pester your interviewer, or contact them to ask about your chances of getting in, or for advice. But a thank you note that they don't have to reply to if you feel like expressing your appreciation for their time would probably be just fine.

UCSF is pretty direct about this. They don't want you sending notes to the interviewers directly. And they sort of don't want you to send the notes to the admissions office to forward to the interviewers, as it's more work for them (out of the mouth of whoever answered the phone there).

I have to confess that I didn't ask, but somehow I doubt that sending a note directly would cause any problems.

As to Miss. California... I don't know. Do you remember her name?

Rita. I think she is a second year. She went to Stanford for undergrad.