UCSF-JMP Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faust

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what is the deal with this program. Does anyone know any students who actually did this, what do they think?

I am wondering whether one is easier to get into than the other. The essay I sent in for the JMP program was way out there. My friend read and said I came across like a weirdo in a good way. :eek:

Does anybody know anything about the JMP other than information on the websites?

Members don't see this ad.

Faust said:
So what is the deal with this program. Does anyone know any students who actually did this, what do they think?

I am wondering whether one is easier to get into than the other. The essay I sent in for the JMP program was way out there. My friend read and said I came across like a weirdo in a good way. :eek:

Does anybody know anything about the JMP other than information on the websites?

I know a student who is now in this program, but I haven't kept in touch with her. From what I remember, she was very dedicated to a specific cause, which makes me think the essay you use for this application is important. I'm considering it, but wouldn't want to spend 3 more years at Berkeley. eek.

anystream said:
I know a student who is now in this program, but I haven't kept in touch with her. From what I remember, she was very dedicated to a specific cause, which makes me think the essay you use for this application is important. I'm considering it, but wouldn't want to spend 3 more years at Berkeley. eek.

Yeah, I had reservations about the intellectual rigor at berkeley, considering that Cal beat me up during undergrad. Nevertheless, Cal is a special place, their grad programs are unbelievable.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've known/met a few (which is a lot since they accept ~12 ppl/yr). the jmp's are all either already out of school for a few years, or way older. in general, they are people who are more mature than most of us.

not all of their stats were super high. but they were all above average. ucsf-jmp looks for drive and a major interest in public health (i know, duh).

writing a weird essay is good -- from what i've seen/heard it seems as though the jmp looks for extremely unique people. but then again one of the jmp's i've known was kind of socially awkward, so that throws me off.

Joonie said:
i've known/met a few (which is a lot since they accept ~12 ppl/yr). the jmp's are all either already out of school for a few years, or way older. in general, they are people who are more mature than most of us.

not all of their stats were super high. but they were all above average. ucsf-jmp looks for drive and a major interest in public health (i know, duh).

writing a weird essay is good -- from what i've seen/heard it seems as though the jmp looks for extremely unique people. but then again one of the jmp's i've known was kind of socially awkward, so that throws me off.

Yeah, that is good to hear. I actually have an MPH in History, Ethics, and Policy so I was concerned with overlap, but will see what happens, I just love Berkeley.

Joonie said:

Yeah, that is good to hear. I actually have an MPH in History, Ethics, and Policy so I was concerned with overlap, but will see what happens, I just love Berzerkeley.

Joonie said:

my friend went straight from undergrad