UCSF (OOS but can get IS after 1 quarter) vs. Utah (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seakzdent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSF *OOS but I can get in state tuition after 1 quarter, so I will only be non-resident for fall 2021

Pros:
  • well known school. has specialities in case I would want to go into one.
  • just lowered class size to 60 instead of 90 so more individual time with faculty
  • P/F
  • diverse city/school
  • offered scholarship + in state tuition after first quarter + waive health insurance fee so about 12k off first year - total would be 60k for first year (just tuition + fees) and will be about 16k off d2 year - total around 64k second year. total over the four years coming to around +/-260k. This is just tuition plus fees.
  • some family lives nearby, boyfriend will be 1 hr away for D1 year only.
Cons:
  • specialities - harder cases go to residents and I am thinking I want to be a GP so I want as much clinical experience as possible. Have also heard the clinical experience is just average.
  • I am not into research so that aspect is not that appealing to me.
  • HIGH cost of living.
  • I am unsure if I'd like the city life. I come from a very small town.
U of Utah *OOS and CANNOT get in state but was offered 10k scholarship/yr

Pros:
  • clinical experience very good - Many students say they feel prepared to go into private practice.
  • Very small class size - 50
  • Salt lake is beautiful and reminds me of home. very outdoorsy.
  • nice new facility
  • low cost of living - can find a pretty good room for 600-800. and possibly high quality of life?
Cons:
  • culture in salt lake - I am not LDS so I am unsure how I would fit in. have also heard that many are married and already have kids.
  • more expensive since I'll be OOS. around 76k/yr without cost of living so total around 304kish total.
  • new school so I am unsure what the future holds for the school.
Summary:
I come from a very small town in a state that does not have a dental school. I plan to either move back there or move to WA or somewhere with low cost of living with S.O. after school and start my own practice. However, I am not completely sure if I want to specialize so I guess I want to keep that door open? .... but i am fairly sure I want to be a GP. I guess my biggest concern is the high cost of living + average clinical experience vs low cost of living + good clinical experience. In the beginning I was dead set on Utah but after talking to others at UCSF and receiving the scholarship + in state I feel like that might be the best decision but I am nervous I am making a "bad" decision even though I know there isn't a bad decision here.

any help is appreciated, and if you have questions please comment and I'll answer them soon! thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Your costs will be similar with UCSF possibly being more expensive because of the high cost of living unless you have a bunch of roommates or live outside of SF. If that’s the case, go to the cheaper school.

Your costs will be similar with UCSF possibly being more expensive because of the high cost of living unless you have a bunch of roommates or live outside of SF. If that’s the case, go to the cheaper sch
I think I will be attending Utah. Thanks! Hope to see you there.