• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

zdoq

2+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
These two schools are my top contenders! Here are my pros and cons:

UCSF:
Tuition: 315k (I calculated this based on IS tuition for D2-D4, and with COL added in [would be splitting apt. with S.O.])
Pros:
P/F šŸ˜​
San Francisco (a dream of mine to live there!)​
Long break after D1 to do research, study for CBSE, externships, travel, whatever​
Medium class size (90)​
Recorded lectures​
9-week externship​
Excellent research opportunities​
Cons:
I heard that students have to pay out of pocket if they run out of sim. lab materials?​
High cost of living in SF​
Clinical exposure could be better/earlier​
Maryland:
Tuition: 290k (in-state tuition with COL added in)

Pros:
Very strong clinically​
Low cost of living in Baltimore​
Recorded lectures​
Some classes are P/F? Most graded from 1-100​
Good research opportunities​
Cons:
Bigger class size (130)​
Baltimore :/​
2-week externship (would like a longer opportunity)​
So basically, is my dream school worth it for that extra 25k? I have an interest in specializing in OMFS (if I can handle it lol) so I want to minimize my debt as much as possible. Thoughts?

macsak

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2018
These two schools are my top contenders! Here are my pros and cons:

UCSF:
Tuition: 315k (I calculated this based on IS tuition for D2-D4, and with COL added in [would be splitting apt. with S.O.])
Pros:
P/F šŸ˜​
San Francisco (a dream of mine to live there!)​
Long break after D1 to do research, study for CBSE, externships, travel, whatever​
Medium class size (90)​
Recorded lectures​
9-week externship​
Excellent research opportunities​
Cons:
I heard that students have to pay out of pocket if they run out of sim. lab materials?​
High cost of living in SF​
Clinical exposure could be better/earlier​
Maryland:
Tuition: 290k (in-state tuition with COL added in)

Pros:
Very strong clinically​
Low cost of living in Baltimore​
Recorded lectures​
Some classes are P/F? Most graded from 1-100​
Good research opportunities​
Cons:
Bigger class size (130)​
Baltimore :/​
2-week externship (would like a longer opportunity)​
So basically, is my dream school worth it for that extra 25k? I have an interest in specializing in OMFS (if I can handle it lol) so I want to minimize my debt as much as possible. Thoughts?
normally, i would say cheapest
but in your case, you should consider UCSF

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

ssm38

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
25K over 4 years isn't that much of a difference tbh, I'd go to UCSF. If you're set on specializing, P/F makes a world of difference.

Reactions: 1 users

zdoq

2+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Thank you everyone! Getting some 2nd opinions have definitely cemented UCSF as a good choice for me. Appreciate it!

Jun 28, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
could I ask how you came to the 315k for UCSF. I would also be OOS and I was getting closer to 400k factoring in the in-state tuition after the first year

Reactions: 1 user

zdoq

2+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
could I ask how you came to the 315k for UCSF. I would also be OOS and I was getting closer to 400k factoring in the in-state tuition after the first year
I have health insurance under my parents so that takes off around 6k per year. I would be splitting a 1-bed with my S.O. so that cuts down rent significantly (rather than if I was in a 1-bed or studio by myself). Also taking into account the Calfresh & cost of living supplement programs they have, you get $190 a month for groceries and $2500 a year for rent. I've been living very frugally for the past year that I've been out of school in a high-cost city so I have a good idea of how much I would need to survive VS the estimates they give you for COL.

Reactions: 1 user
Dec 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I have health insurance under my parents so that takes off around 6k per year. I would be splitting a 1-bed with my S.O. so that cuts down rent significantly (rather than if I was in a 1-bed or studio by myself). Also taking into account the Calfresh & cost of living supplement programs they have, you get $190 a month for groceries and $2500 a year for rent. I've been living very frugally for the past year that I've been out of school in a high-cost city so I have a good idea of how much I would need to survive VS the estimates they give you for COL.
may i ask how much you're estimating for your COL every month? and do you know if d2-d4 are actually more expensive since there is a summer term rather than d1 which is only three terms (without summer term)?

zdoq

2+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
may i ask how much you're estimating for your COL every month? and do you know if d2-d4 are actually more expensive since there is a summer term rather than d1 which is only three terms (without summer term)?
Iā€™m calculating COL for all 12 months. Rent + food + emergency funds + travel for holidays. Iā€™m taking tuition right off of the UCSF website.

zdoq

2+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Also I recently received a grant from UCSF that decreases tuition to In-state for the first year, so the price becomes the same as Maryland.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.