UCSF (OOS) vs. UMich (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clemntine

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I’m trying to decide between these two schools. I got a small grant from UCSF, and together with the cost of living supplement and Calfresh, UCSF would end up being maybe around 10K more over 4 years.

I am very interested in specializing in OMFS- ready to go balls out gungho for it. However, I do realize that P/F would be a huge help while studying for CBSE. Michigan’s program seems a little less flexible for that.

I grew up in Michigan so I feel like I’m ready for a change in pace. It’s a dream of mine to live in a big city like SF, and I feel like I won’t have the chance to live in a city like this after dental school (over saturated cities, omfs training could take me anywhere and i wouldn’t have time to explore the city anyways lol)

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, go where you’ll be happier because you don’t know if your interest in OMFS will change. I’d normally say go where’s cheapest but assuming your calculations are correct, they’re about equal. Both schools are fantastic and will give you a great shot at specializing.

Assuming you do pursue OMFS and considering the fact that you’re leaning towards UCSF, and I would do the same if I were in your position. I’m currently studying for the CBSE at a graded school. ALL of my friends at P/F schools told me they were able to devote much more time to the CBSE because they just had to pass classes instead of getting an A. With that being said, the CBSE won’t get any easier going to a P/F school. It still takes a LOT of time.

Ultimately, it’s a deeply personal decision. I can just tell you how difficult it is to study for an A in 25+ credits while studying 4-8 hours a day for the CBSE.

Reactions: 1 users
UCSF all the way. Umich is a great school for sure but so is UCSF and luckily, the cost isn't really a deciding factor here. SF > Ann Arbor city-wise and P/F > letter-grade system. Both schools are great for specializing & have lots of resources.

Reactions: 1 users