1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UCSF or BU

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by funtastic82, May 13, 2008.

1. funtastic82

funtastic82 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys,
    I have been admitted into both BU and UCSF...
    I was very happy until I had one but these two options are literally freaking me out....
    I would love to go to UCSF but when I compare the fee structure of the two schools it like > 30grand im total in UCSF...
    so please suggest me frenz to make the right decision....
    I really want ur expert views....
    appreciate it...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IndianGraduate

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    well first it depends on where you live....if on east coast or west coast....if u wnt to be close to ur family...what kind of crowd uwant to be surrounded by...weather, campus, environment......for someone like me...who would litereally shrivel up and die due to the lack of the sun on the east coast and who loves her sun/heat/beaches....going to BU would be impossible....im a california girl and will live in california...even at the cost of >30,000 more....cuz at the end....think, is paying 30 grand more importnt than ur college experience? i dotn think so.....besides, who is paying for ur education....lots of factors u need to consider....besides, i think UCSF overall is a better school than BU

4. funtastic82

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have to take the loan neways.right now i live in the middle of woods in TN...which is a true heaven in its own way... I was applying i always thought to be in CA for DDS and ultimately settle down in midwest.....
    I compared the two schools and all the students advised me to go UCSF but when i talked to individual dentists i got the mixed reviews and since they were considering the moolah heavily ...they advised me newhere u go just see where monsy is less...
    that put me in a dicey situation and i felt lil trapped....
    and abt the outdoor stuff....dont get me started on that....Its my passion. hiking and surfing....thts the lifestyle....
    well thnks for the advise and i am in the situation where i have to take the decision sooner than later.....
    I hope to take the right one....

5. uli8

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hi,
    I am finishing my first year at UCSF in the IDP program. More than one year ago I had to take the same decission like you. You see what I chose. I do not regret one second my choice. I used to live in NY so I was confortable with east coast. That was true until I understood what CA means. The program at UCSF is prety tough, at least the first quarter. Most of us spent most of the day in the lab. The lab part is aproxim. 1 quarter and half, after that you are in the clinic. In the second year is only clinic with few lectures, you work as much as any dentist does outside the school. After every quarter you have 2 weeks vacation and time to enjoy CA. In San Francisco you are driving distance from the most amazing national parks, if you like to hike you can do it in week-end. If you like to ski or surf, you can do it, too.
    Btw ask people in BU how much time they spend in the lab. If I am not wrong the first 8 months minimum.

6. funtastic82

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have quite a lot people now who decided to take the same decison as u did in a similar circumstances...I kinda have the feeling that not all the people at the same time can take a wrong decision...
    i have talked to lots of people in UCSF abt the schedule like karan in ur class who told me the same thing u did..I found it pretty cool and intresting.....
    SO i guess ....I will see u there soon.....
    Thnks for the advise buddy....

7. dentistz

dentistz Junior Member

You will have better exposure in UCSF, 30K is not much for what you will learn and earn later

8. fourtyone

fourtyone Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    funtastic82, there are people like me waiting for call from BU and it will be really helpful if you can convey your decision of not joining to BU because then the waitlist might move, thanks & goodluck

9. leafsfan9

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree, fourtyone. I, as well, am wait-listed at BU, and am waiting for the acceptance offer. Hopefully, there will be some movement off the wait list ASAP...the nerves and the waiting are killing me! Thanks, and good luck to everyone!!

10. crazydentaist

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    Please post ur stats with score,Toefl,Gpa,fresh or reaplicant and work expr.... so that it helps others who are trying to get admission coming ahead yr....
    {Note:oops:thers also can post ur stats here who all or waiting to get BU admission)
    I would realy appreciate if u do this help......