UCSF or Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dayatu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got in both UCSF, Loma Linda, and Columbia. Since i have lived LA since i came to states, i would like to stay in state rather go to east. Now the question comes, UCSF is a public school and very prestigious about its dental education, Loma Linda is a religion school and very famous about its extensive clinical exposure, i don't know the pro and cons, and if i would come back and practice in LA if i chose go to UCSF? Anyone could give me an insight of those schools?

Members don't see this ad.

One big factor that SDN members like to bring up is cost of attendance. I dont have the exact numbers in front of me, but i think the numbers are comparable between the two schools when you include the cost of living. public + high cost of living for UCSF and private + low cost of living for Loma Linda.

Dentists always tell me that it's better to choose a school that's closer to where you want to eventually practice. Its easier to make connections and referrals etc. I dont completely buy into this argument but I guess it would make things easier when you're first starting out.

I say you have a tough decision on your hands. They are both good schools. Dont let the prestige cloud your decision. Where do you imagine yourself for the next 4 years?

I got in both UCSF, Loma Linda, and Columbia. Since i have lived LA since i came to states, i would like to stay in state rather go to east. Now the question comes, UCSF is a public school and very prestigious about its dental education, Loma Linda is a religion school and very famous about its extensive clinical exposure, i don't know the pro and cons, and if i would come back and practice in LA if i chose go to UCSF? Anyone could give me an insight of those schools?

Pretty sure both UCSF and LLU offer WREB, so in either case you would be able to practice in CA. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.

just curious, whats the final word?