1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UCSF or PENN (with scholarship)?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by applescrapple, Dec 20, 2005.

1. applescrapple

applescrapple Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Would you choose UCSF over PENN? If so, why?
    Would you choose PENN over UCSF? If so, why?

2. howui3

howui3 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

For me, I would rather live in San Fran and since the schools are both great, I would go to UCSF.

As far as the scholarship, it's tempting, but I will end up paying off the loans within 5-7 years of graduation, so I am ok with paying more for a school I would enjoy more.

3. acceptance

acceptance Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey they are both great schools w/ great reputations etc. Both are extremely expensive. Though I do think it would be great to live in San Fran, I would expect living expenses to be somewhat higher. And if you have a scholarship to Penn, that makes the difference even greater. So... if money is an issue, I would chose Penn. If you have a relative to fit the bill, I would go to Penn. Your education will be phenomenal either way.

Btw, I do think that $$ is something to consider since you are going to be paying TONS TONS TONS TONS TONS in interest if you have no way to pay things off quickly.

4. applescrapple

5+ Year Member

Dental Student

With the scholarship, the total expense turns out to be about the same. UCSF will be a little bit more. So then, would you still pass up an ivy league school to go to UCSF for the weather and view? One part of me wants to go to SF and explore, but I don't know...it's hard passing up PENN.

5. kiggar4l2000

kiggar4l2000 Member
    5+ Year Member

I'll go PENN hands down. Only go to UCSF if you plan to live in the Cali where it's saturated w/ dentists after graduation. Besides, you make more money in the east coast and don't need to take the board again. It's hard to pass an Ivy league...with scholarship.

6. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

The OP is asking about where to attend school and not where to practice: you don't have to practice on the east coast if you go to a school over here, nor are you excluded from taking other board exams, such as the Western Regional.

7. howui3

howui3 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

So how do the board exam work, if you go to a school on the east coast (lets say Boston) but want to go back to the west coast to practice (lets say California) do you have to take another set of exams to practice?

After graduating from your dental school are you ready to practice only in that state? or can go elsewhere and practice? if you do have to take more exams, is it for each state?

thanks for the info.

8. applescrapple

5+ Year Member

Dental Student

My understanding is that there are regional licensure exams. You have to take those upon graduation in order to practice. So, for example, if you graduate from a California school but want to practice in the east, you would have to take the NERB (NORTH EAST REGIONAL BOARD) exam. If you go to a school in the eastcoast and want to practice in cali, then you take a different exam for that region.

9. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

The different regional boards can be taken at many locations around the nation. So, for example, if you go to school in Philly the Western Board is administered at Temple and students from all of the various surrounding schools can go there when it is offered (it's not offered by the school, but rather by the board itself, which selects a site) and take if they want to practice in any of the states that are apart of it. After graduation you are certainly not restricted to the state that you went to school in. Each state sets its own licensure requirements and the vast majority of them simply require you to pass the regional board that they are a part of (save for a few states, such as California, Hawaii, Florida, and so on that have extra requirements and/or their very own state board). Furthermore, many of the regional boards share recipricosity with other boards (e.g. many of the states apart of the WERB will recognize the Central Boards and vice versa - thus allowing you to take one exam and have the ability to practice in many states). For more information, check out SDN's very own section on the State and Regional Practice Boards where you can look up each individual state and see their requirements.