Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, I'm having trouble deciding between UCSF and UCLA as I like both schools each in their unique aspects ... do you guys have any input as to why you might choose one over the other? thanks for all your help!

thamsenman

Removed
Dec 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
uh...ucsf hands down.

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I didn't apply to UCLA, but UCSF was my first choice even though they rejected me pre-secondary. Le sigh, being out of state....

Anyway, I think the best indicators to differentiate them are (1) location: LA vs. SF (2) money: financial aid differences? Although, I'd imagine these are pretty equal.

They're both ranked highly, have great student bodies, great research. UCSF is lone medical school/graduate university, while UCLA has an undergrad campus. Which environment do you like more? Are you interested in doing any dual degrees: MD/MBA for instance or taking classes in other areas (law, business, etc.)? This might be easier at UCLA.

For me, San Francisco >>> LA so the decision is simple. I'd rather spend 4 years in Nor Cal than So Cal. I'm big into research, and both probably provide equal opportunities and prestige in terms of where you could be doing projects. I know UCLA does tend take students more interested in research, while UCSF has a broader mix. I'd actually prefer the mix of SF despite my research heaviness...mainly because it tends to mean you'll learn more from fellow students if they have more diverse interests (that are different from yours).

What are your thoughts?

CalBear2009

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Both schools are awesome. If you average the research and primary care US News rankings with equal weight, both are in the top 5. I think you should go with their gut. Without thinking too much, which school stands out more to you? Are you more of a NorCal person or SoCal person? Basically you have the most envious "dilemma" in the world.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Let me preface this with....I hate you :D

But in terms of your dilemma, this would be a tough one. They are pretty much equal in academics, research, and UCSF has slight edge on prestige. UCLA Medical center is better though than UCSF at most fields (3rd best hospital in the country). But UCSF is like 5th so it doesn't matter.

I would go with UCSF, b/c I love San Francisco. LA/Westwood are awesome too though.... Sorry I didn't help much

jbz24

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Do you have a reason to be in LA?
If so, go with UCLA.
If not, go with UCSF.

thamsenman

Removed
Dec 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
Wow, those are some really amazing acceptances!!

My contribution will be this: if you are slightly interested in research, UCSF is the mecca. They have some of the highest caliber faculty around, and I hear they have a cool collaborative culture going on that makes the research possibilities endless. Also, as far as I am aware, UCSF trumps almost any other institution (with the exception of Harvard and Johns Hopkins, maybe) in terms of academic prestige. If research or academia are fields you are considering, attending UCSF is an opportunity you should not waste.

If not, UCLA is not bad at all. I think it does have more name recognition due to undergrad, grad and other professional schools, if that is important to you.

SF is considerably colder than LA, too.

What a great problem to have. I'm officially jealous...

Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I didn't apply to UCLA, but UCSF was my first choice even though they rejected me pre-secondary. Le sigh, being out of state....

Anyway, I think the best indicators to differentiate them are (1) location: LA vs. SF (2) money: financial aid differences? Although, I'd imagine these are pretty equal.

They're both ranked highly, have great student bodies, great research. UCSF is lone medical school/graduate university, while UCLA has an undergrad campus. Which environment do you like more? Are you interested in doing any dual degrees: MD/MBA for instance or taking classes in other areas (law, business, etc.)? This might be easier at UCLA.

For me, San Francisco >>> LA so the decision is simple. I'd rather spend 4 years in Nor Cal than So Cal. I'm big into research, and both probably provide equal opportunities and prestige in terms of where you could be doing projects. I know UCLA does tend take students more interested in research, while UCSF has a broader mix. I'd actually prefer the mix of SF despite my research heaviness...mainly because it tends to mean you'll learn more from fellow students if they have more diverse interests (that are different from yours).

What are your thoughts?
I actually like both Nor Cal and So Cal so location-wise both schools are equal .. on another thought, I like LA for the for its spaciousness relative to how compact SF is and I like SF for its proximity to where my family lives in Nor Cal but these factors are not too significant.. ahh i'm just going back and forth in circles

Jan 30, 2010
Status
I actually like both Nor Cal and So Cal so location-wise both schools are equal .. on another thought, I like LA for the for its spaciousness relative to how compact SF is and I like SF for its proximity to where my family lives in Nor Cal but these factors are not too significant.. ahh i'm just going back and forth in circles
Having a support network is big in med school. I would say go with UCSF.

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I would just attend Revisit Weekend for both and then decide. That way you'll get to meet some of your prospective classmates and factor that in as well :D

Appless

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
barring finances, id take ucsf in a heartbeat over ucla. I like the area more, i like what ucsf can offer in terms of research more. UCSF was my top choice but sadly pre int rejection. Regardless gl dude. I think we all wish we had this decision lol :).

unless you have some pressing need to be in LA (whcih it sounds like you dont really?), or ucla gives you like a full tuition scholarship, id just take ucsf and run.

Jun 30, 2009
small town, America
Status
Pre-Medical
As others have said both schools are great. But i really can't see how you can equally like San Francisco and LA!!!! they are so different. LA with it's ''sit in traffic for hours to go somewhere which should be 20 minutes away" culture, while SF has a more 'eastcoasty culture' where you can actually get somewhere in twenty minutes and with a good public transport system. And i feel LA (as a city) is more laid back (a bit much for me) I like that people in SF (again the city not the school) actually dress up before they leave their homes, unlike LA where people roll out of bed and always look like they should be chilling on some beach.

They are different whether you choose to see it or not. Both schools have great programs and great students. I think your decision should have a lot to do with which culture you prefer.

veaselhaufen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status
Non-Student
Would go to UCLA over UCSF if i had to do it over again and many of my classmates at UCLA made this decision. Message me if u have questions

BluntSurgeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
As others have said both schools are great. But i really can't see how you can equally like San Francisco and LA!!!! they are so different. LA with it's ''sit in traffic for hours to go somewhere which should be 20 minutes away" culture, while SF has a more 'eastcoasty culture' where you can actually get somewhere in twenty minutes and with a good public transport system. And i feel LA (as a city) is more laid back (a bit much for me) I like that people in SF (again the city not the school) actually dress up before they leave their homes, unlike LA where people roll out of bed and always look like they should be chilling on some beach.

They are different whether you choose to see it or not. Both schools have great programs and great students. I think your decision should have a lot to do with which culture you prefer.
Casillas, tell me more about your LA and SF stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.