UCSF or UMaryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enghead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I haven't seen many threads about either of these schools, but they are my top 2 choices. Here's my current evaluation of the two:

UMaryland

Pros
1. I'm a resident so it will be cheaper (approx 60k less in total 4 yr cost)
2. It's much, much closer to home
3. The facilities are out of this world IMO

Cons
1. The city doesn't afford as many activities for young adults as San Francisco
2. The weather isn't as enjoyable
3. Baltimore is comparably more dangerous than SF
4. Lower specialization rate than UCSF (unsure about this statistic...)

UCSF

Pros
1. I have dreamed of going to the west coast to study for a period of my life, and the city and surrounding area do not disappoint.
2. The weather is much better!
3. Higher specialization rate than UMD (unsure...)

Cons
1. Costs more (total 4 yr cost approx 60k more)
2. Farther from home (probably visit family once per yr)
3. The facilities aren't as good as UMaryland's

What do ya'll think about this comparison? I think it really boils down to UMaryland having the upperhand in cost and distance from home, and UCSF better in terms of social life, overall location, and specialization rate. Can anyone give me their ideas about which they'd pick and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I haven't seen many threads about either of these schools, but they are my top 2 choices. Here's my current evaluation of the two:

UMaryland

Pros

Cons

UCSF

Pros
1. I have dreamed of going to the west coast to study for a period of my life, and the city and surrounding area do not disappoint.

Cons

What do ya'll think about this comparison? I think it really boils down to UMaryland having the upperhand in cost and distance from home, and UCSF better in terms of social life, overall location, and specialization rate. Can anyone give me their ideas about which they'd pick and why?

I only interviewed at UCSF so I cant give you a direct comparison with UMD. Although, I feel that UCSF would be a great choice.
I really enjoyed everything about the program, many world renowned faculty teaching there, facilities are good, the area is one of the best in terms of lifestyle and diversity. If you are interested in specializing, UCSF would also be the place to be.

Overall, I would definitely chose UCSF

Hey everyone!

UMaryland

Pros

Cons

UCSF

Pros

Cons

Honestly, I wouldn't let cost be an issue in this case. If you've interviewed at both schools, I'm assuming that you're definitely a qualified candidate and will be a qualified dentist who will be responsible enough to pay off his/her own debt. I'm not as sure about maryland but as the above poster mentioned, you've got some world class faculty teaching at ucsf so you definitely won't be skimped on the education and I'm sure the difference in facilities won't be too gaping. Bottom line is that they're both top of the line schools but if you've dreamed about studying on the west coast, there's probably no better place than in san francisco.