UCSF out of state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trek

Grand Uranium Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, they sent me a secondary, but i'm a bit iffy. If it's hard enough to get in for cali folks, it's gotta be INSANE for out of staters (which I am). Hence, i'm leery about dropping any little amount of cash now, but does anyone have any info on out of state applicants applied/interview/etc? I have competitive stats, but i honestly dont' think i'd stack up against their out of state pool. --Trek

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's insane for in-state people. We don't have enough med school seats here. That's why those GPAs are so high. You just don't see 33 averages at public schools that accept pretty much only in-state people anywhere but CA.

Hey TREK-
here is some recent info regarding UCSF according to the most recent
MSAR. Number of out-of-state applicants:2,310
Doesn't list the number of o-of-s interviews,
but it has to be under 250, and the number of o-of-s acceptances: 28. The mean total GPA was 3.71, mean MCAT was VR-11, PS-12, BS-
12. Hope this helps. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think out-of-staters at UCSF tend to make up nearly 20% of the class. If you dropped the money for the AMCAS, I think it's probably worth it to drop the money for the secondary.

You should definitely fill out the secondary since you have already gotten past the initial screening. I think part of the initial cut takes into account whether or not you are a California resident. Is there a reason you are reluctant to continue your application? I know for a fact that a significant portion of our class is out-of-state. Many of these students will become residents by next year and qualify for in-state tuition. If you are applying MSTP, the application process is a little different. The MSTP draws from a nationwide pool of applicants and does not give preference to California residents. Hope this helps and if you have any questions about UCSF, please feel free to ask. :D

a note on newtons stats... that was 28 matriculants not 28 acceptances... BIG difference, not to say it's easy or anything :)

I'm a regular-MD candidate. I'm hesitant mostly because of the extremely high quality of the out of state pool (not to say that in state is less hard). I also don't think that many people would turn down UCSF from out of state- so i'd say they probably don't let in much more than 40-50 people to get that 28 or so. I'll send it back only cuz it's 40 bones, but i'm not hopeful. --Trek

by the way- thanks very much to newton for the info- makes the decision a little more informed. --Trek

for fall 2000 class at UCSF, they admitted 69 out-of-staters, and 28 enrolled. This out of 2318 out of state applicants.

Hi Trek,

We just had an admissions "tour guide" orientation today, and, as Vader said, the residency issue is taken into account at the initial screen. So, in effect, you are on the "same ground" as an instate resident now. I can't tell you the particulars (they asked us not to), but your residency is "factored" into your total score. The first pass (cut) is made based on MCAT & GPA (minimums) and residency. The true test is whether you get an interview, but don't sell yourself short. As lilycat said, approx. 20% of the class comes from out of state. Hope this helps,

Becky

Well shoot, what the hell- gonna mail of that $40 tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the encouragment! --Trek

Becky and Vader, I would do anything to be in your shoes! Do you guys know what are one's chances for admission after receiving an interview? 50:50? Any advice for the interview?

Originally posted by paisley1:
•Becky and Vader, I would do anything to be in your shoes! Do you guys know what are one's chances for admission after receiving an interview? 50:50? Any advice for the interview?•

Yeah, it's about a 50% chance of admission after receiving an interview. BeckyG probably has more of the inside information since she attended the tour guide orientation. Last year, both MD interviews were closed-file, so the interviewers knew almost nothing about me. One was a professor and the other was a 4th year student. It was a nice opportunity to kind of paint a picture of myself without the interviewer having already made judgements. Certainly, you will want to show your enthusiasm and passion for medicine during the interview, but I think the best advice is to be yourself. Dress nicely, be friendly and positive, and be confident in your responses but flexible in your ideas.

Well, it's back to studying for me (our final is this Friday). :eek:

Well, they're expecting to interview 500 people this year according to the secondary. They're accepting 250? I guess that's reasonable.

So I'm only sort of an out-of-stater. I'm an Illinois resident, which I put on my AMCAS, but only because I was a month shy(of the one year mark) of living in Cali to be able to declare residency here. So I could be a resident like today. I work at UCSF and just e-mailed admissions asking. The word is once you've submitted as an out-of-stater, that's it. No changes. Oh well, bygones.