UCSF questions answered...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSF info guy

Ayatollah of Rockandrolla
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm Mark, third year student at UCSF dental school. I originally posted the "UCSF questions w/ Mark" thread. Read that.....

I now know more about the school because we are in the clinic. If you have questions post them here and I will find answers for you.

Members don't see this ad.

my biggest concern now is that it seems there are fewer chairs in clinic than other universities...is this a problem?

thanks

hey, mark!

i read all the posts in your previous thread and found them really useful.

here's my question: how did you and your class do on the new format of the boards? do you think ucsf's curriculum prepare you well enough?

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had plenty of clinic time.....it's a matter of patient management. Some people have given patients away because they took on too many and couldn't see them all.

I have 6-8 clinic chairs per week (AM or PM) and we lecture for two AM's per week. Also you can open chairs on your off time if you want to.

The new format killed people's scores. Before the change scores were definitely higher. But our class is the only one that gets screwed by this because everyone else will be on an even playing field. Does UCSF prepare you?? I think before the change the high in our class was a 97...after the change the highest I know of is a 92. So, if they can do it, you can do it.

I've had plenty of clinic time.....it's a matter of patient management. Some people have given patients away because they took on too many and couldn't see them all.

I have 6-8 clinic chairs per week (AM or PM) and we lecture for two AM's per week. Also you can open chairs on your off time if you want to.

The new format killed people's scores. Before the change scores were definitely higher. But our class is the only one that gets screwed by this because everyone else will be on an even playing field. Does UCSF prepare you?? I think before the change the high in our class was a 97...after the change the highest I know of is a 92. So, if they can do it, you can do it.

Can I ask what is this new format change? Either info on it or where I can find this out. It sounds like a new approach, not new content.

Can I ask what is this new format change? Either info on it or where I can find this out. It sounds like a new approach, not new content.

as far as i'm aware, the questions on the exam are now case-based, instead of multiple choice quiz-style questions. i don't know of any further details.

And oh, the highest score in your class was a 98, per Dean Perry during my interviews.

I'm Mark, third year student at UCSF dental school. I originally posted the "UCSF questions w/ Mark" thread. Read that.....

I now know more about the school because we are in the clinic. If you have questions post them here and I will find answers for you.

Yes, I would like to know if someone from nearby SFSU has a chance of getting in. Assuming that I keep a competitive GPA and DAT score, do I stand a chance against someone of similar stats but from a UC or Stanford? Did anyone from your school go to SFSU? Are there any who came out of the CSU system in general? Did they have to work harder (get higher stats) to get in?

Thanks

what exactly do nonresident students have to do to qualify for in-state tuition starting the second year? is the process relatively trouble-free, or do you know of any nonresident classmates who haven't been able to qualify for in-state tuition? thanks a mil!!

1) What are the three things you like most about the program/school?

2) What are the three things you don't like?

3) How would you rate the value of the education (the bang for your buck factor)?

Thanks!

Hi Mark or any other current UCSF student,
I was wondering if laptop screen size is a factor in dental school. I am considering purchasing a 13.3" but on the UCSF website, they specify a 14"+. Thanks for your advice.

gigiantssss, from what I've read it's a suggestion (Mark's last year's thread).

Mark, I've read a lot about housing, but I'm still not sure. Is it realistic to find a 1 bedroom somewhere in Sunset/ walking distance to school for under 1500?

Yes, I would like to know if someone from nearby SFSU has a chance of getting in. Assuming that I keep a competitive GPA and DAT score, do I stand a chance against someone of similar stats but from a UC or Stanford? Did anyone from your school go to SFSU? Are there any who came out of the CSU system in general? Did they have to work harder (get higher stats) to get in?

Thanks

I went to CSU Chico and if you've ever heard of it, it probably wasn't because of its academics... party school. I think there are actually some advantages to going to a smaller school.
As far as board scores, more students are taking the exam after their first year and learning a few subjects on their own. All schools do a fine job of preparing you. It really depends on how much time you apply to studying and how much of it you can actually retain. Some people will only study for a couple weeks and do fine! I'll be taking it the spring quarter of next year when I'll have time to study with the light school load. Don't pick a school because of its reputation but rather where you can see yourself for the next 4 years.

Hi Mark or any other current UCSF student,
I was wondering if laptop screen size is a factor in dental school. I am considering purchasing a 13.3" but on the UCSF website, they specify a 14"+. Thanks for your advice.

Don't worry about the "laptop requirements." A 13" would work fine. You just want something with a good battery to last through the lectures. Also try and get Adobe Acrobat Professional if you can. All the lectures are PDF and Acrobat pro allows you to take notes on the PDF pages so you don't have to print anything off.

how is parking in the morning? I will be commuting from San Mateo county.

Does the lecture halls have a power outlet to plug a laptop charger to incase I need to charge it?

How much time do you get in between classes? is it hard to get from one class to another?

Thank yoU!

how is parking in the morning? I will be commuting from San Mateo county.

Does the lecture halls have a power outlet to plug a laptop charger to incase I need to charge it?

How much time do you get in between classes? is it hard to get from one class to another?

Thank yoU!

Parking sucks unless you have a bike. Try looking into public transportation. I plug my laptop into the outlet every day because my battery is worthless. It's just nice to have a battery that lasts. I would recommend a splitter that you can plug multiple cords into. That way you are always guaranteed a power source... sometimes it can be competitive to get a power cord into a socket. It's not hard to move between classes because the whole entire D1 class goes with you like a large herd of cattle. The next class generally starts when everyone gets there. And class always starts at 10 after the hour.

you can park near ucsf (1 or 2 blocks) but the thing is it is 2 hour parking... the parking enforcer usually comes at 12 ish. so as long as you move your car around 11:30 it's all gooooood. theres plenty of parking spaces. or you can park on 10+th ave (unlimited free parking) and take N-judah.

i wish i were a dental student :(

Thanks sl2obel2ts and Chicajeff. your information is very much appreciated. Maybe i'll scope around later today to see how I should be commuting. thanks!

Hey Mark (or anyone that can answer),

First thanks for all your responses! Also, I was wondering how hard it is to get on campus housing as a D1. I'm married too, which should play a factor. Thanks!

Don't worry about the "laptop requirements." A 13" would work fine. You just want something with a good battery to last through the lectures. Also try and get Adobe Acrobat Professional if you can. All the lectures are PDF and Acrobat pro allows you to take notes on the PDF pages so you don't have to print anything off.

I wouldn't actually pay for Adobe Acrobat, PDF Exchange Viewer is a free program you can use to take notes as well. Just Google it.

I went to CSU Chico, had a 3.8 gpa, averaged about 20 on the DAT, and had the high score on our first midterm last quarter. And if you've ever heard of Chico, it probably wasn't because of its academics... party school. I think there are actually some advantages to going to a smaller school.

Hah, I'm not sure how representative Chicojeff is. He regularly kicks *** in our class, so?..

I probably went to what people would consider a very "prestigious" school, but I regularly score under the mean. Dental school's pretty tough! :p

Thank yoU!

I carry around power strips so that other people can plug in w/ me. Hopefully your class can buy at least two together and split the cost and responsibility.