UCSF Revisit Weekend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajneel1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Did anyone attend UCSF's revisit weekend? How was it? What were the students like? What did you do? I'm waitlisted there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got back from the weekend. I don't know if you want to hear this since you're on the wait list, but I'm SO EXCITED TO BE GOING TO UCSF.

The formal activities honestly were not that impressive. (A lecture on the new curriculum and a student panel that was a bit better.) The real fun, though, was meeting the current first years and the other accepted students. I got to meet: Wahoo, paisley, BeckyG, Keith, and, of course, lady in red. (Sorry if I met you and don't remember now. Way too many names to remember throughout the weekend.) I didn't get to meet and thank Vader, though. (Hi, Vader, if you're listening.)

The real fun were the times when we got to mill around and meet everyone. UCSF seems to take very down-to-earth people, and everyone was very nice. They truly seem relaxed and able to have spare time - some more than others. It seems that you can do well at the school and still have a lot of outside activities, which is important to me. Contrary to common myth, I met no one who had won a gold medal.

It was great seeing the school again, and also in taking a tour of the city on cable cars. There's more to write, but I'm heading to bed. A great weekend overall, and I'm stoked to be heading to San Francisco.

Sorry I couldn't be there, but word on the street is that people had a good time. I'll be around over the summer though if you want to grab a beer and enjoy the fog. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all you UCSF people!!

Just a general question, what does UCSF value more? Unique and in depth research experience and little volunteering or unique volunteering experiences and little research? Assuming you can't have both.

Thanks guys!

Hi, I was there too but didn't meet any SDNers to my knowledge. I guess I felt a little shy doing so. :) But if I had known people were introducing themselves with their screennames, I would've joined in. There was a Keith included in the list for my dinner, but he couldn't make it for some reason so I never got the chance to ask him if he was the same one from this forum.

I agree with postbacchus. The formal presentations weren't that exciting, but I was impressed by everyone's good opinion of their school and their excitement about welcoming us. The 3 (?) hour cable car tour was COLD but fun--got me excited on what I can do in the city with my free time. The free time and how much of it they have was repeatedly emphasized by students. That's such a great thing!

Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you. I'll see you guys during orientation, for sure. :D

Could anyone remind me what the actual class schedule is like? An old book I have says that Weds. are days off, and somewhere else I saw that lectures are actually done by noon. These can't both be right, can they? I think maybe the new curriculum changed things a bit. Anyway, can anyone comment?

I wish I'd been able to be there with you all for the weekend, but my packet arrived while you were all probably off riding cable cars!! :) I appreciate any comments you guys can share...thanks!!

Classes are 8-noon M-F. Typically, students have 3-4 afternoons free (for electives, research, working out, studying, whatever). The number of afternoons off varies with the block you're doing.