1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

UCSF secondaries - where are they?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by YBee, Dec 12, 2001.

1. YBee

YBee Member
    7+ Year Member

I hate to beat this topic to death, but have any of the people waiting for the UCSF secondary received it yet? I have not, and I can't help but think that they lost my MCATs or even my application! :p

When I call I don't get any useful info -"the computer indicates that your file is being reviewed right now" and this was a month ago.

I saw an older thread where someone said UCSF decided to send secondaries based on projected MCATs. Maybe they projected that I would crap out! (just came back from Vegas)

Does anyone have new info to add? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey - you could be in a good position. i didn't have to wait long at all to get the Big R from them. so it could mean that they're getting ready to send you a 2ndary. :eek:

4. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

About 20-30% of AMCAS applicants are asked to submit secondaries. Secondary requests are made on a rolling basis, with information due within one month. In the Fall 1998 (latest stat I have)25% of 5,217 applicants were asked to submit secondaries.
    Of those submitting secondaries, between 30-40% were selected for interview and approximately 200 placed in a ranked hold category, about 10% of whom are eventually interviewed.
    Of those interviewed, about 40% are accepted on a rolling basis for a class of 141. By April 15 approximately 180 acceptances will have been offered. About 100 placed on alternate list.
    Alternate list divided into two priority groups rank ordered by May 15. Top group good prognosis and bottom poor prognosis for acceptance.
    Of entering students, usually 80% are California residents. Non-residents must be exceptionally well qualified.

5. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Anybody know what is the cut-off date for receiving a secondary?

6. amonkeybutt

amonkeybutt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just received the secondary in the mail last friday. I received my postcard on 11/7 that said they received my primary app. They want the secondary returned within two weeks.

As for the cut-off for secondary, I am not too sure but when I called a few weeks ago, the lady said that the primary cut-off date is 12/1 and with all the AMCAS mess they'll be sending out secondaries way into the spring.

Good luck!

7. amonkeybutt

amonkeybutt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just received the secondary in the mail last friday. I received my postcard on 11/7 that said they received my primary app. They want the secondary returned within two weeks.

As for the cut-off for secondary, I am not too sure but when I called a few weeks ago, the lady said that the primary cut-off date is 12/1 and with all the AMCAS mess they'll be sending out secondaries way into the spring.

Good luck!

8. EpiII

EpiII Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

From my experience, UCSF takes longer than most schools in sending out the secondary, but they are quicker than most in deciding about interviews. This is because there are no additional essays or much of any additional information on their secondary at all. They do most of their screening off of the primary application.

It also sounds like you might have taken the MCAT in August.

If they say the app is under review, then I doubt they lost it, but don't shy away from calling again and inquiring, especially if it has been a month or so.

9. I was just rejected by UCSF... Although I have five other interviews scheduled attop, it is still disheartening to know my stat didn't even qualify for a secondary at UCSF. I bet you a thousand dollars that, due to AMCAS fiasco, the UC implemented their emergency plans, i.e. screen solely based on MCAT and GPA. My numbers were average so they probably didn't even get to my juicy and interesting part of the application. Damn those UCs.

10. sproggin

sproggin Member
    7+ Year Member

just a correction from a previous post. When I interviewed there they told they interview 9% (500 applicants) and accept half (250) for a class of , I guess, 141.