UCSF Secondary Question 1... How are you guys answering this?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by VirtuoJ, Aug 11, 2002.

1. I was just wondering how you guys were planning on answering the first question on UCSF's secondary app:

1. List the educational (not financial) resources available in your home and community prior to entering college. Please explain how you used them.

Should we really 'list' or do the regular essay format? Also, this question seems to be targeted toward people with disadvantaged backgrounds... but how are non-disadvantaged people suppose to answer this without sounding completly boring?

By the way, did anyone get an email/snail mail notification about the secondary? I just happened to check on the status page and realized that I was invited to complete a secondary.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mystic

Mystic New Member

Last year that question was only for students who claimed disadvantaged status. Are you sure it's not the same this year?

4. opps. i just read over the instruction page again and it is only for disadvantaged people.

5. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

cool. at least someone getting secondaries

6. calipaww

calipaww Senior Member

virtuo when did you turn in your UC app???

7. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    thanks, virtuo. just checked my status.
    here are my dates:

Application Status Date
    AMCAS Data 7/26/2002
    University of California Application 7/28/2002
    Secondary Application Requested 8/9/2002

Here's a little note from the instructions: DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT: TWO WEEKS FROM THE DATE APPROVED FOR SECONDARY ON THE UCSF STATUS WEBSITE
    so check your status.
    quick link

8. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member

are you guys in state?

i am out of state, and my applciation received dates are the same, but no info on a secondary.

anyone know how they screen?

9. Dr. Dodger Dog

medapp, i am in state and have those same dates as well with no secondary yet.... hold on tight for a couple days...

10. pocwana

Medical Student
    I'm in state.

If you guys want to take a look at the secondary, I've got a link posted on my website. There isn't much to it unless you're applying disadvantaged or for a joint degree.

Good luck

my site

11. jot

jot

i'm out of state and got the go ahead for the secondary. maybe i should read the directions - i had the same questions about the above. thank you

12. souljah1

souljah1 Attending

about whether or not ucsf screens for out of state...

i know that they include state residency in their initial screen when they look at gpa, mcat, background, and activities. word has it that you have a better chance as an out of stater if you apply md/phd, but that is just a rumour that i have heard (though i've heard it more than once). in state applicants have an advantage in the initial screening, but once the interview is landed...i think it becomes an even playing field. good luck to everyone.

13. jot

jot

they don't know that you are applying md/phd until after you submit your secondary - cause everyone had to designate regualr md. i think they do screen out vs in state.

14. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

Well, I checked and no invite for a secondary. :(

I have the same dates for submission of AMCAS and UC app. I live in California. The only thing I received from them is a postcard saying they received my AMCAS

Thanks you guys for all the good info! I can check the site regularly now.

15. sluox

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    no secondaries for me either...does anybody know if this is equivalent to a rejection??

From UCSF's website:
    UCSF generally receives 5000 applications and the committee selects about 1400 to receive secondary applications.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. souljah1

souljah1 Attending

i wouldn't start worrying about not getting a secondary yet. it is only august! last year they were giving them out until January. i didn't get mine until late October. they take their time. if i learned anything from last year is that patience is a virtue. it goes a little something like this...wait for secondary..fill it out and send it the next day...wait for an interview..fly out and attend...wait for a decision..hear about other people getting in...wait for a decision..hear some more about people who interviewed after you getting in...start devising theories...wait some more...get their decision..and possibly wait some more. don't freak out yet.

again..they are not always super quick with their screening and evaluations...atleast not for me. last year i submitted my scamcas app on july 1st and it was verified in august. i sent in my uc app in august as well. secondary came around halloween, and the interview invite came around new years. i interviewed on january 30th and i waited 16 weeks to hear back from them!

and yes, they send out between 1400 and 1500 secondaries. they screen for gpa, mcat, background, personal statement, ECs and activities. then they invite around 500 for interviews (based on the above mentioned criteria in addition to the letters of rec, maturity, etc). the interviews are closed-file and after the interviews the interviewers write up reports and your interviews are given a numerical score. the interview evaluations are then thrown into the mix and your whole application is looked at again whereupon a final decision is ultimately made. expect to wait atleast 8 weeks for a final decision from the day you interview (though some hear with less time gone by then that, while others wait exceptionally long amounts of time). they give outright acceptances to around 190, high priorities to around 100, and reject the rest. about 30 or so get off the high priority list. all in all, if you get an interview..you have about a little less than a 50% shot at an acceptance.

18. Street Philosopher

ok so just to make sure you just have to sign your name a few times, check off some boxes, put in your address, and you're basically done if you're only applying to the regular program right? no essays or anything?

19. pocwana

Medical Student
    just make sure to include a check and an optional photo and you're good to go

20. Street Philosopher

sweeeet! thanks pocwanna. your site rules.