ucsf secondary

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by jot, Aug 11, 2002.

1. jot

jot

wow - the section for writing about mstp is tiny! less than 2 inches of space for why md/phd etc... and 2 inches for what your most recent project is. how can they garner much information about who to interview? vader/vmn2 anyone else - is it kosher to attach additional information (it feels like they would destroy them if you did - considering what they say about sending lor's before you get permission to do their secondary)? any of you know how many people they invite, and if their decisions are rolling or not? thanks.
    -jot

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    how the hell did you get UCSF's secondary already

man you are good

4. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Jot,

As far as I know, that's all you can put. Just summarize, I think they put a lot of weight into the letters of rec for determining interview invites, and then the interview is VERY important for admission. At, least that's what I gleaned from my experience last year. Also, they are definitely not rolling, and they don't make decisions until April. It's really a horrible wait. As far as I know (only counting my personal experience) getting a secondary really early doesn't mean much when it comes to the final decision, though.

I wish you the best of luck...it's an awsome school.

Adam

5. bailey39

bailey39 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Jot! Have you even been able to use the full 2inches:) I tried to paste (and then type) in my answers and it would only allow me three lines-- that's only one-quarter of their puny two inches. Anyone else having the same problem?

6. jot

jot

i think i'm going to use the pdf version and add as much text as i can - i'm sure i can fit in a small paragraph at least. i feel like including my md/phd personal statement. i wonder if they would get pissed.
    -jot

7. bailey39

bailey39 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How do you do that? I have Acrobat Writer, but am pretty poor at using it. I have not been able to type in the paragraph areas of the UCSF form using it. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

8. jot

jot

if you have the full version than you need to use the "free text tool" not the one that you see immediately on the screen. it should be hidden under the "notes tool" which looks like a sheet of paper. a drop down menu with show up and a T+ should be there somewhere. create the boxes in area that you would like and type as much as you need. if you have any other questions let me know.
    -jot

9. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    the free text tool is a bad way of doing it (sorry jot)
    try creating a multiline form intead

10. jot

jot

i concede to sluox:)

11. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, you can attach additional information that will go into your file. The MSTP is pretty no-worries about that type of thing, especially compared to the med school (It's a number of applicants issue).

Hope this helps. :D