UCSF/SFSU PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT: Academic Influence and Career Trajectory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henhen321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I need some help with this supplemental question from UCSF.
  • " UCSF/SFSU is committed to a diverse and inclusive graduate student population. Diversity refers to the variety of experiences and perspectives that arise from differences in race, culture, religion, mental or physical capabilities, heritage, age, gender, sexual orientation, and other characteristics. UCSF/SFSU values diversity because it enhances the educational experience, the workplace, and services to the public provided by our campuses. "
  • "Please discuss how your personal background has influenced your academic journey and career trajectory, including any relevant educational, cultural, economic, family or social experiences, challenges, or opportunities. "
For the second bullet point, regarding career trajectory, I don't understand what it is asking for. Does career trajectory mean our goals as a future Physical Therapist and what we will bring to the field?
Also I need some help with brain storming some ideas. Here are some unique things about me that I thought about but I'm all ears for other ideas.
  1. Vietnamese - American
  2. Minority
  3. First generation college student
  4. Studied abroad in Germany. Our class was about the refugee camps during the Syrian Civil War.
  5. Volunteering and extracurricular clubs for community health and outreach programs.
  6. Various experience in PT settings.
  7. Experience with children with special needs

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I need some help with this supplemental question from UCSF.
  • " UCSF/SFSU is committed to a diverse and inclusive graduate student population. Diversity refers to the variety of experiences and perspectives that arise from differences in race, culture, religion, mental or physical capabilities, heritage, age, gender, sexual orientation, and other characteristics. UCSF/SFSU values diversity because it enhances the educational experience, the workplace, and services to the public provided by our campuses. "
  • "Please discuss how your personal background has influenced your academic journey and career trajectory, including any relevant educational, cultural, economic, family or social experiences, challenges, or opportunities. "
For the second bullet point, regarding career trajectory, I don't understand what it is asking for. Does career trajectory mean our goals as a future Physical Therapist and what we will bring to the field?
Also I need some help with brain storming some ideas. Here are some unique things about me that I thought about but I'm all ears for other ideas.
  1. Vietnamese - American
  2. Minority
  3. First generation college student
  4. Studied abroad in Germany. Our class was about the refugee camps during the Syrian Civil War.
  5. Volunteering and extracurricular clubs for community health and outreach programs.
  6. Various experience in PT settings.
  7. Experience with children with special needs
I interpreted it as how your background has influenced not only your goals as a future PT but how you got to where you are today. For example, did studying abroad in Germany and coming from a minority background have any significant effect on the type of population that you may want to work with? Has it taught you about the inequities in our society and how to be more empathetic? Did you do any community service with the refugee camps and has that made you want to prioritize working with vulnerable patients or perhaps you want to be involved in a probono clinic. I think they are looking for how your diverse background has shaped you and thus how that has affected what specifically you want to do/ your goals as a PT.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there. I also interpreted it as Jenik did.
Im applying to UCSF too. I wrote about my perspective growing up with the area I lived in and how that has changed through family circumstances. So I talked about how that shaped me and then how that would influence me as a DPT.

I’m biracial (half Japanese) so I considered writing something from that angle but decided not to. In my mind, it’s a bit too cliche or overdone. I wanted to write about something a bit more specific and unique to me. Of course, that just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt:)

Good luck on that first prompt though! I struggled with the COVID one because I felt as though there just wasn’t that much too say! Even with possibly drawing things out, I only got to 2500 characters!

Reactions: 1 user