UCSF/SFSU vs. SMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTeddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Having a hard time making a decision between these two schools. Cost is relatively similar and current students at both schools have nothing but good things to say about both. Initially I thought that the obvious choice was UCSF, but the clinical experience at SMU seems to be superior and it would take me an extra hour or two/day to commute to ucsf.

I'd love any input that applicants and/or current students from either program have to say about it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PTeddy what differences in clinical experience have you discovered between the two? It seems like UCSF is the better known school and seems to get more respect, but I would really like to see more about Samuel Merritt too. I have heard from practicing therapists that they are research-based?

I think SMU is research based, but also has the most clinical affiliation hours compared to other CA programs.

Yes, SMU definitely has more clinical hours. They culminate with a 6 month clinical internship, whereas UCSF is only 16 weeks, usually split up into two 8 week affiliations.

SMU definitely has some research in their curriculum, but I think UCSF has the reputation and the resources.

I'm less concerned with the details of research, as I think if you really want to do research, you could make it happen at either place. I'm more concerned with what will set me up for all around success in the future...clinically, socially and scholarly.