jellybean3

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
27
0
Visit site
Status
I'm pretty sure about attending UCSF. I'm just waiting for one other school of notification and financial package.

I just wanted to create a thread for 2009ers planning on attending UCSF, so that we can share information on what forms are needed to be filled out and what steps to take until school starts.

To everyone else best wishes in the process!
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
178
0
Status
jellybean3 said:
I'm pretty sure about attending UCSF. I'm just waiting for one other school of notification and financial package.

I just wanted to create a thread for 2009ers planning on attending UCSF, so that we can share information on what forms are needed to be filled out and what steps to take until school starts.

To everyone else best wishes in the process!
Hi Jellybean,

I'm pretty set on UCSF also! Have you gotten any additional info from them? I haven't yet and was wondering when they'd do that. I guess all the info is online anyway. I'm glad someone finally started this thread!
 
OP
J

jellybean3

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
27
0
Visit site
Status
hey norcal
i believe the forms that need to be filled out are the financial aid packet, residency, and intention form. Correct me if there are more.
 
About the Ads

i77ac

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
340
0
Sunny California
Visit site
Status
hey all,

we might be classmates next year! :) like you mentioned, money is also a factor for me so i'm not entirely sure if i'll end up at SF. but it is awesome place to be. did you guys complete the fafsa yet? i still haven't. i gotta get that done.

do you guys have housing worked out?
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
178
0
Status
i77ac said:
hey all,

we might be classmates next year! :) like you mentioned, money is also a factor for me so i'm not entirely sure if i'll end up at SF. but it is awesome place to be. did you guys complete the fafsa yet? i still haven't. i gotta get that done.

do you guys have housing worked out?
Hey there!
I live in the city now, but am planning on moving closer to the campus in August. Housing is tricky in the city (and I'm picky) so I plan on spending the summer months looking for a good place. I suppose you could start figuring things out now, but I imagine most places won't start opening up until the summer when people move out. Craigslist is usually a good place to start!
 

brs23

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
43
0
Status
Hi Guys--

I'm looking to move to SF sometime in the early summer too, and sleep on friend's couches while I try to find an apartment. Any ideas on finding roomates? I think I'd really like to live with another m1/m2 at ucsf. Are you guys psyched! I am!

Ben

NorCalGirl said:
Hey there!
I live in the city now, but am planning on moving closer to the campus in August. Housing is tricky in the city (and I'm picky) so I plan on spending the summer months looking for a good place. I suppose you could start figuring things out now, but I imagine most places won't start opening up until the summer when people move out. Craigslist is usually a good place to start!
 

C1654

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2004
9
0
Status
I'm also planning on moving to SF in the early summer and looking for an apartment...so where are you guys from?


brs23 said:
Hi Guys--

I'm looking to move to SF sometime in the early summer too, and sleep on friend's couches while I try to find an apartment. Any ideas on finding roomates? I think I'd really like to live with another m1/m2 at ucsf. Are you guys psyched! I am!

Ben
 

202

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
40
0
Status
C1654 said:
I'm also planning on moving to SF in the early summer and looking for an apartment...so where are you guys from?
ditto!

I'm from Southern California. I wanted to start looking for housing early before the summer, but an MSI just told me that I shouldn't start looking until the end of the school year...until then, I guess I'm waiting with the rest of you. Btw...congratulations everyone!
 

i77ac

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
340
0
Sunny California
Visit site
Status
202 said:
ditto!

I'm from Southern California. I wanted to start looking for housing early before the summer, but an MSI just told me that I shouldn't start looking until the end of the school year...until then, I guess I'm waiting with the rest of you. Btw...congratulations everyone!
from SoCal as well. Are you guys pretty much set on UCSF?
 

calstudent

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
678
0
Status
count me in! i'll be there in the fall. i really just want to put off thinking about housing and $$ for now, but i think i'll start working on that stuff soon.
are y'all going to 2nd look (i think it's around may 1stish)?
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
178
0
Status
I will definitely be there for the "2nd look" weekend even though I already work at UCSF! I want to meet possible future classmates and get more acquainted with the SOM. I'm from San Jose originally so I know the Bay Area pretty well. Congrats to everyone and I will be the first one to welcome you to the fog! :) (It's not that bad...)
 

i77ac

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
340
0
Sunny California
Visit site
Status
calstudent said:
count me in! i'll be there in the fall. i really just want to put off thinking about housing and $$ for now, but i think i'll start working on that stuff soon.
are y'all going to 2nd look (i think it's around may 1stish)?
i'll definately be there. i probably won't know if i will attend until i get a good second look at the place. i am having a real tough time deciding which school to attend... but it's a good thing i guess. i envy you guys who already have made up their minds.

calstudent, i assume you a cal grad as i am. i've heard many cal students go to sf. anyone else cal alum?
 
OP
J

jellybean3

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
27
0
Visit site
Status
I'm a Cal grad also. Yeah I remember when I interviewed the guide told me (also Berkeley grad) there were about 30% Berkeley + Stanford grads.

For those who are familiar with the city's districts, what do you think is the safer districts? Is inner sunset (UCSF) a safe place?

BTW should we have already sent off the UCSF Fin Aid 05~06 form already? Just wondering because they said somewhere to submit it ASAP after you receive your admittance. Hope I'm not late.
 
About the Ads

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
178
0
Status
jellybean3 said:
I'm a Cal grad also. Yeah I remember when I interviewed the guide told me (also Berkeley grad) there were about 30% Berkeley + Stanford grads.

For those who are familiar with the city's districts, what do you think is the safer districts? Is inner sunset (UCSF) a safe place?

BTW should we have already sent off the UCSF Fin Aid 05~06 form already? Just wondering because they said somewhere to submit it ASAP after you receive your admittance. Hope I'm not late.
I haven't yet because I just completed my taxes for 2004 and tI think they want a copy of that... and my parents' taxes too. Ugh.

Anyway, the inner sunset is relatively safe. It's not the prettiest part of the city, in my opinion, but it's definitely the place to live if you want to be close to campus. That's where I'll be looking.
 

calstudent

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
678
0
Status
yep, go bears!
thanks for the info., norcalgirl, on inner sunset. on the housing page, they have a description of many of the different neighborhoods in the City. i believe inner sunset has lots of families and such and, while not as exciting as downtown, still has some great restaurants and is a safe area. i'll be looking there too; i was looking the SF chronicle classifieds today, and was stunned to see the expensiveness of the stuff there to rent!

also, someone mentioned stuff that we have to turn in above: don't forget to mail your final transcripts (if you are 100%)
 

i77ac

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
340
0
Sunny California
Visit site
Status
i don't know about you guys, but i am feeling so tired of filling in anymore applications (i.e. the damn fafsa). i hope i get that done by next week. so you're not alone!
 

MITkid111

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2004
5
0
Status
I will be attending in the fall as well. What do you guys think about the mission bay on campus housing project. Does anyone know whether it would be a good place to live. Are you all just waiting to find a roomate at 2nd look weekend? congrats everyone.
 

brs23

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
43
0
Status
Hi everyone, again--I'm actually not from cali...so I don't know the bay area very well. where are some other good places to live?
 

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
577
0
Caleefornia
Status
UCSF representing!!!

I am 70% set on going there, but I still have to fill out my FAFSA and supplemental financial aid.

About living: I am considering getting a studio apartment at the brand-spanking new Mission Bay complex. Given that it is quite far from the Parnassus campus (4 mi), there is, however, a regular shuttle and public transportation that can get you there in 20-30 minutes.

It's damn hard to find clean, nice, and (relatively) inexpensive apartments in SF. I think that Mission Bay is a good option.

Plus, it's right next to PacBell Park and, from what I understand, the Mission Bay campus has many amenities, including a new gym facility.

Congrats to everyone here!
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
178
0
Status
Does anyone know what to do with the section where they ask you to choose a lender? (for the Stafford Loan) I'm planning on calling the financial aid office tomorrow but wanted to see what you guys thought.
 

202

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
40
0
Status
NorCalGirl said:
Does anyone know what to do with the section where they ask you to choose a lender? (for the Stafford Loan) I'm planning on calling the financial aid office tomorrow but wanted to see what you guys thought.
I'm stuck on the same question. I've had this thing for 4 weeks now and still haven't filled it out. Anyway, will you let me know what they say? Thanks!
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
178
0
Status
202 said:
I'm stuck on the same question. I've had this thing for 4 weeks now and still haven't filled it out. Anyway, will you let me know what they say? Thanks!
Eesh! They weren't very helpful. They said, "Yeah you have to choose a lender. We can't process your financial AID without one. You can choose from the list we give you or find one on your own." Well, since I'm clueless about this stuff, I'll go over the list of lenders with my Dad. My boyfriend who is a 2nd year med student at UCI says he doesn't even know who his lender is!

I'll let you know if I get more info..
 

el matador

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
20
0
Status
calstudent said:
count me in! i'll be there in the fall. i really just want to put off thinking about housing and $$ for now, but i think i'll start working on that stuff soon.
are y'all going to 2nd look (i think it's around may 1stish)?
hey all,

i'm currently living very close to UCSF and i also work there, so i can provide lots of info on the neighborhoods in the vicinity. i'm happy to answer any q's, although i don't check this web site often, so please be patient.

btw, i haven't filled out any of the financial or housing forms either...it's been fun to sit back and enjoy the news.
 
About the Ads
OP
J

jellybean3

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
27
0
Visit site
Status
regarding housing. I called the housing office and the person said incoming students will most likely get housing at Mission Bay. Brand new structure is the positive aspect; however, the downside is the distance. A 25 minute commute by shuttle to the Parnassus campus from Mission Bay.

hey does anyone have or know where I can get the residency match list for UCSF?
 

202

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
40
0
Status
jellybean3 said:
regarding housing. I called the housing office and the person said incoming students will most likely get housing at Mission Bay. Brand new structure is the positive aspect; however, the downside is the distance. A 25 minute commute by shuttle to the Parnassus campus from Mission Bay.

hey does anyone have or know where I can get the residency match list for UCSF?

here you go!

http://medschool.ucsf.edu/medstudents/resources/match/index.asp
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,739
1,906
Status
Attending Physician
jellybean3 said:
regarding housing. I called the housing office and the person said incoming students will most likely get housing at Mission Bay. Brand new structure is the positive aspect; however, the downside is the distance. A 25 minute commute by shuttle to the Parnassus campus from Mission Bay.
Wow. I would be _very_ careful about agreeing to live in Mission Bay. Knowing UCSF, I'm sure it will be very well developed and secure, but the Mission Bay area is a pretty ugly neighborhood.

Mission Bay is formerly industrial and has only been developed in recent years due to the dotcom boom and the mass influx of people to the city. But the charm of San Francisco lies in its neighborhoods, each of which has a different feel to it. Mission Bay is very new and doesn't have much in the way of infrastructure or history, and there's little nearby.

I would recommend the Inner Sunset, an area right near UCSF. 9th and Irving is the center of this area with some good bars, restaurants and book stores. Housing is plentiful there and somewhat affordable (by San Francisco standards). You are also a quick walk to Golden Gate Park, the Haight and lots of great public transportation.

I worked at UCSF for several years and know that most of the med students I met lived in the Sunset. I have a hunch that the only people who would live in Mission Bay would be those who don't know the area. And I'd reckon that they would only stay the first year.

As for finding places to live, if you aren't sure what to look for, there are several online rental companies that are useful as they let you look for sublets. This is a great way to get a place for a month/summer/year while you're getting your arms around the city and learning what is what. It also saves you from having to pay for all your furniture up front. Metrorent.com and Renttech.com were handy.
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,739
1,906
Status
Attending Physician
Bito42 said:
Anybody have ideas on how early you think it's necessary to go to find a decent place?
Most employers here recommend that folks line up temporary accommodation and allow themselves 4 weeks to find a place.

Realistically, it depends how fussy you are about price and neighborhood. If you are willing to pay $1,400/month for a one-bedroom apartment in the Inner Sunset or Outer Sunset, you will find a place within a week or two. If you're very price conscious, you can find a place in those same neighborhoods for $1,000/month, but you may be quite a while looking.

Something else to consider is cars and pets. Some neighborhoods are notoriously tough to park in, so you'll need a parking space. If you have to have an apartment with parking, this cuts down on your options by quite a bit. And the biggest pain is if you have pets. If you look on craigslist or other web sites you can see that when you restrict your search to places that allow pets, it reduces your options by 75%.

Housing is a pain, but only the first time. So much is done word of mouth that it will only be rough the first time you do it. And San Francisco is the best place to live. Hard not to love.
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
178
0
Status
notdeadyet said:
Wow. I would be _very_ careful about agreeing to live in Mission Bay. Knowing UCSF, I'm sure it will be very well developed and secure, but the Mission Bay area is a pretty ugly neighborhood.

Mission Bay is formerly industrial and has only been developed in recent years due to the dotcom boom and the mass influx of people to the city. But the charm of San Francisco lies in its neighborhoods, each of which has a different feel to it. Mission Bay is very new and doesn't have much in the way of infrastructure or history, and there's little nearby.

I would recommend the Inner Sunset, an area right near UCSF. 9th and Irving is the center of this area with some good bars, restaurants and book stores. Housing is plentiful there and somewhat affordable (by San Francisco standards). You are also a quick walk to Golden Gate Park, the Haight and lots of great public transportation.

I worked at UCSF for several years and know that most of the med students I met lived in the Sunset. I have a hunch that the only people who would live in Mission Bay would be those who don't know the area. And I'd reckon that they would only stay the first year.

As for finding places to live, if you aren't sure what to look for, there are several online rental companies that are useful as they let you look for sublets. This is a great way to get a place for a month/summer/year while you're getting your arms around the city and learning what is what. It also saves you from having to pay for all your furniture up front. Metrorent.com and Renttech.com were handy.
I agree. I live and work in the city and I would much rather live in the inner sunset. I'm sure Mission Bay will be nice, but it just seems really inconvenient to be out there.
 
OP
J

jellybean3

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
27
0
Visit site
Status
for those of you who currently live in San Francisco I have a few concerns.

1. Rent: do you know what the avg rent is for a one bdrm around sunset? Does anyone know what the a one bdrm at the mission bay housing is?

2. Public Transportation: When does the bart stop running at night? How about the Muni (specifically N-Judah)?

thank you in advance for your replies!
 

icebrat001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
160
3
Arizona
Status
Other Health Professions Student
jellybean3 said:
for those of you who currently live in San Francisco I have a few concerns.

1. Rent: do you know what the avg rent is for a one bdrm around sunset? Does anyone know what the a one bdrm at the mission bay housing is?

2. Public Transportation: When does the bart stop running at night? How about the Muni (specifically N-Judah)?

thank you in advance for your replies!

you can check out www.craigslist.org to check out the prices of rent around sunset and mission bay. Be sure to click SFC and not SBY or EBY or anything. After you click SFC you can click the apartments and housing link and then click where it says all neighborhoods and scroll down to inner sunset/UCSF or whatever area you are interested in and you can get an idea of what rent is.

Go to www.bart.gov to check out the bart schedules as well as when it stops running.

www.transitinfo.org is a great site to plan your trip without visiting bart and muni sites, it does it for you.


Good luck :luck:

I hope that helps.
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,739
1,906
Status
Attending Physician
jellybean3 said:
1. Rent: do you know what the avg rent is for a one bdrm around sunset? Does anyone know what the a one bdrm at the mission bay housing is?
If you're patient and not too fussy, you should be able to get a place for about $1,200.
jellybean3 said:
2. Public Transportation: When does the bart stop running at night? How about the Muni (specifically N-Judah)?
BART and MUNI both stop running at about 1:00 a.m. If you're planning on late nights coming back to Mission Bay, I'd plan on cab fare. The area between the last N stop and 600 16th is not nice at night. You'd probably be fine walking it, but you'd be right to feel uncomfortable, particularly if you're a woman travelling alone.
If you're planning on late travel, you might consider the 22 bus, which is a helpful route that also runs every half hour at night. It also brings you closer to Mission Bay than the N Judah would. But again, the Mission Bay area is not that safe at night, so I'd be careful walking alone.
 

Bear1220

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2004
222
0
CA
Status
jellybean3 said:
for those of you who currently live in San Francisco I have a few concerns.

1. Rent: do you know what the avg rent is for a one bdrm around sunset? Does anyone know what the a one bdrm at the mission bay housing is?

2. Public Transportation: When does the bart stop running at night? How about the Muni (specifically N-Judah)?

thank you in advance for your replies!
1. I'd suggest finding roommates. It's MUCH cheaper and that's what most students tend to do. If you do that, expect to pay anywhere from $600-1000 for your own bedroom. I live a couple blocks away and pay only $650 for my own bedroom. The housing market in the Bay Area has improved tremendously (for renters).

2. BART stops around midnight-ish but for all your traveling within the city, use the Muni. The N-Judah line (to and from the Parnassus campus) runs really late; it's got an owl service bus after the light rail shuts down around 1ish, which definitely has come in handy many times!
 
About the Ads

202

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
40
0
Status
I don't know if this is customary for just UCSF, but both my interviewers sent me letters congratulating me on my acceptance. I'm just wondering whether it would be impolite if I didn't write them back.

Also, I wanted to know whether or not anyone's received anything back from the financial aid office yet. I turned in my fafsa a couple of weeks ago and haven't got a confirmation or anything at all.

Thanks for your help!
 

arisunomori

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
55
0
Status
202 said:
I don't know if this is customary for just UCSF, but both my interviewers sent me letters congratulating me on my acceptance. I'm just wondering whether it would be impolite if I didn't write them back.

Also, I wanted to know whether or not anyone's received anything back from the financial aid office yet. I turned in my fafsa a couple of weeks ago and haven't got a confirmation or anything at all.

Thanks for your help!

Received my acceptance last week and 99% sure about going there. I'm thrilled!! Also received an email from my faculty interviewer, and am sending a reply. If there isn't a reason why you wouldn't want to reply, why not?

I'll be looking for a place nearby with my 5 pound dog. Hopefully something clean (essential) and cute (flexible). I'm very easygoing, not big into partying. Currently, I'm living at home, with parents, in the LA area. If any potential roommates want to meet up, feel free to PM me. Happy to meet you-- future classmates!!
 

i77ac

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
340
0
Sunny California
Visit site
Status
Did you guys know that there are few Dean's scholarships awared each year to the select few? I have been told that they are going to make the decision within the next month or so. Can we post on this thread if anyone hears anything?

One more thing. Anyone else trying to look for a roomate?
 

the other Dr.

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
223
0
Status
NorCalGirl said:
Eesh! They weren't very helpful. They said, "Yeah you have to choose a lender. We can't process your financial AID without one. You can choose from the list we give you or find one on your own." Well, since I'm clueless about this stuff, I'll go over the list of lenders with my Dad. My boyfriend who is a 2nd year med student at UCI says he doesn't even know who his lender is!

I'll let you know if I get more info..
I choose T.H.E. because there are no up front fees and med students on SDN seemed happy with them.
 

the other Dr.

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
223
0
Status
For the upcomming 2nd look weekend, I am trying to figure out which airport to fly into. I can fly southwest to Oakland or United to SFO and the cost is about the same. Which would you recommend and what transportation should I take once I get into town? I am looking for the most hassle-free travel between UCSF and the airport.

Thanks!
 

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
577
0
Caleefornia
Status
Why doesn't UCSF have a mascot?

Maybe we should make one. :)
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
178
0
Status
the other Dr. said:
For the upcomming 2nd look weekend, I am trying to figure out which airport to fly into. I can fly southwest to Oakland or United to SFO and the cost is about the same. Which would you recommend and what transportation should I take once I get into town? I am looking for the most hassle-free travel between UCSF and the airport.

Thanks!
If it costs the same, I'd fly into SFO. From there you can take BART to a station that also stops where the N-Judah (MUNI metro line) stops and catch that back towards UCSF. That would be the cheapest way to get to UCSF from the SFO. (Any SF folks who are more public transportation savvy, please suggest a better route if you know of any!)

This trip planner website may be useful!
http://www.transitinfo.org/tripplanner/index.asp
 

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
577
0
Caleefornia
Status
NorCalGirl said:
If it costs the same, I'd fly into SFO. From there you can take BART to a station that also stops where the N-Judah (MUNI metro line) stops and catch that back towards UCSF. That would be the cheapest way to get to UCSF from the SFO. (Any SF folks who are more public transportation savvy, please suggest a better route if you know of any!)

This trip planner website may be useful!
http://www.transitinfo.org/tripplanner/index.asp
Quick q: I'll be taking the Amtrak from Sacramento to Richmond, and the Bart to SF...does anyone know which BART line I should take, and what bus line I should transfer to?

THANKS!!!
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
178
0
Status
Tra La La said:
Quick q: I'll be taking the Amtrak from Sacramento to Richmond, and the Bart to SF...does anyone know which BART line I should take, and what bus line I should transfer to?

THANKS!!!
I believe you can take the Milbrae bound BART train to the Embarcadero station and then there you can catch the N-Judah to UCSF.

http://www.bart.gov/stations/map/systemMap.asp
 

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
1,817
307
Status
NorCalGirl said:
I believe you can take the Milbrae bound BART train to the Embarcadero station and then there you can catch the N-Judah to UCSF.

http://www.bart.gov/stations/map/systemMap.asp

take the n-judah and get off at irving & judah street; go to the parking structure elevators and take the elevators to parnassus street; walk out to parnassus and turn right; the health sci building is across the street after you walk past moffit/long hospital
 

the other Dr.

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
223
0
Status
NorCalGirl said:
If it costs the same, I'd fly into SFO. From there you can take BART to a station that also stops where the N-Judah (MUNI metro line) stops and catch that back towards UCSF. That would be the cheapest way to get to UCSF from the SFO. (Any SF folks who are more public transportation savvy, please suggest a better route if you know of any!)

This trip planner website may be useful!
http://www.transitinfo.org/tripplanner/index.asp
Thanks for the quick response! So BART does stop at SFO or do you have to take a shuttle or cab?
 

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
577
0
Caleefornia
Status

crimsoncash

Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
80
1
Status
Tra La La said:
Awesome!

Thanks, and I hope to see you and everyone else there!
Hi everyone, this map may also help you navigate the city bus lines when you're in town. I found it very useful during my trip to UCSF a few weeks ago:

MUNI BUS LINES AND MAP

Hope to see you soon!

--Crimson (eagerly awaiting news)
 

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
1,817
307
Status
just curious, does anyone have a link to the ucsf match list of the past two years? thanks!
 

calstudent

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
678
0
Status
the other Dr. said:
Thanks for the quick response! So BART does stop at SFO or do you have to take a shuttle or cab?
Yup, BART stops at SFO. There is a shuttle that stops at every terminal and at the BART station, and it runs pretty frequently. If you are going this way, then I would take the Bart to Civic Center Station, and then transfer there to the N-Judah. (For people coming from the East Bay, as another poster mentioned, you can transfer anywhere between Embarcadero and Civic Center).

Here is a link with a bunch of previous match lists:
http://medschool.ucsf.edu/medstudents/resources/match/index.asp
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,739
1,906
Status
Attending Physician
Travel to UCSF from SFO and Oakland takes about the same amount of time, but SFO is a bit more convenient.

FROM OAK:
Take the AirBART bus shuttle to the Coliseum/Oakland Airport BART stop (it is the only stop for the shuttle). Tickets are $2 and machines are inside the terminal or at the airport’s AirBART stops. Shuttle runs every 10-20 minutes til midnight. Trip to BART takes about 15-20 minutes.

At the BART station, board a "Daly City" or "SFO/Millbrae" bound train. Trains run about every 5-10 minutes. Cost is $3.15, schedule at www.bart.gov. Exit at Civic Center, BART trip will be about 25 minutes.

FROM SFO:
SFO has a BART station on the Departures/Ticketing (Level 3) of the International Terminal, on the Boarding Area G side of the terminal. You can also access the BART stop from any terminal by taking the AirTrain to the “Garage G/BART Station” stop. This AirTrain is a free monorail that runs every few minutes from terminal to terminal.

In the BART station, you will need to take any of the northbound BART trains (Richmond, Pittsburg/Bay Point, Dublin/Pleasanton, Freemont). Trains run every 15-20 minutes until 11pm.

Cost is $4.95, schedule at www.bart.gov. Exit at Civic Center, BART Trip will be about 28 minutes.

FROM CIVIC CENTER:
After getting off the train, you'll have to go up an escalator, through a turnstyle. Go to another set of turnstyles marked for MUNI and put in $1.25 in quarters (there are change machines nearby). After going down the escalators, you'll want to go to the side of the tracks that say "Outbound". Wait for the N train (runs about every 10 minutes) and take it to Carl and Arguello/2nd. It's a big stop and you'll see a parking entrance off to your left. Head in the elevators and you'll be taken to the top floor which is ground level of the hospital/UCSF, across the street at Parnassus.

N schedule is at http://transit.511.org/schedules/routeinfo.asp?cid=SF&rte=5675
 
About the Ads