UCSF students.... help me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daveshnave

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can find info on applying for research fellowship programs for this summer between my MSI and MSII? It doesn't matter to me whether it's laboratory or clinical research. I just want to find something to get involved with in San Francisco for my last free summer. I'm at MCP Hahnemann here in Philly, but San Francisco is my home, and I'd like to come back for residency. Here at MCPHU I know we have summer research fellowships, in a mixture of both clinical and laboratory settings, where we get paid a stipend, and depending on the situation it's sometimes possible to get something publishable out of it. I know some of these fellowship spots go unfilled since it's everyone's last free summer, so I was wondering if you guys know of anything similar?

Even if anyone could put me in touch with a list of researchers, it would be helpful. Heck, I don't even need a stipend- I'll work for free if it's something worthwhile. I'm just trying to justify spending my last free summer with girlfriend/friends in S.F. until I can come back for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't have a lot of information about this, but here's a start -- UCSF is crawling with labs and doctors doing research projects, and I'm sure they'd all just love to have you work for free. The UCSF website supposedly lists all labs, but I have found it to be very, very disorganized and not a good way to locate possible jobs. However, on the website, you can probably find contact info for the Office of Curricular Affairs. Dr. Tureen there is the director of medical student research, and is the person UCSF students often talk to about research jobs. He might be a good place to start. As far as funding, there is a "dean's fund" for UCSF students, but I have a feeling that they won't fund students from other schools. Perhaps your school will, however -- especially once you're hooked up with a specific project.

I would agree with Emily's assessment. We have been receiving all kinds of emails about summer research opportunities - most of them have deadlines somewhere in January to March. You can try contacting Jay Taureen and see what he says. I really do not know much about what is offered. Otherwise, you can decide on an area of interest and then look on the website for physicians or PhDs doing research in that area (e.g., cardiology, endocrin, etc). Go to the main website, <a href="http://www.som.ucsf.edu," target="_blank">www.som.ucsf.edu,</a> and then there is a choice to locate faculty. When you do the search, just look by department, not name. Then, see who is listed - not on the research list but just the list of faculty in the department - and then try to find out what kind of work they do. It might be listed in the research index or it might not. If not, you could consider doing a MEDLINE search with certain faculty names and see what kind of work they do. Then contact them. If they cannot take you, they may know someone who can. Hope this helps!