ucsf/ucla out of state

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AegisZero, Oct 28, 2002.

1. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

I was wondering if any out-of-state applicants have had any success in getting into UCSF/UCLA. The only connection I have to CA is about 6 aunts/uncles that live there (I am from TX).
    What would make an out-of-state applicant attractive to these two schools?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Just looking at pure numbers... lots more out of state kids get into LA/SF than Davis or Irvine. One of the latter two had no out of state people, and the other had 1 (posted this somewhere on SDN before). I think it's easier out of state if you're MD/PhD, since residency doesn't matter as much for that, but I don't know about just MD admissions.

4. BananaSplit

BananaSplit Senior Member

<<What would make an out-of-state applicant attractive to these two schools?>>

A Nobel Prize. But all kidding aside, you have to be fairly amazing. Getting into Cali schools is hard enough for Cali residents, but for out-of-staters, you should have amazing EC's and research experience since most of Cali schools have a strong research bent. Cali schools also love qualified URM's/unique backgrounds because the population here is very diverse.

Now back to the sarcasm.
    The following list of things may (note I only said may) get you into a Cali school:

- Establishing the first private hospital in Estonia (this was actually written in one of Essay Edge's sample essays)

- Teaching English and computers to orphans in India

- Publish an article or two in Science, Nature, JAMA, etc.

- For the privates, maybe if you donate a building. But I digress because you specifically asked about UCSF/UCLA

One last serious comment: The admission process is wholly unpredictable so if you really want to go to UCSF or UCLA, give it a shot! What's another couple of hundred dollars (for primary and secondary and plane tickets) in comparison to liking where you spend the next four years of your life. Also...one good thing is that UCSF screens, so you won't be wasting moola on secondaries if they don't find you to be a "desirable applicant"

Good luck!

BananaSplit

5. geromine

geromine Senior Member

According to USNEWS:
    out of 147 OOS applicants to UCLA, 58 were offered admission at some point, 19 of which enrolled.
    I got an interview in December coming up. I have a better than 1/3 chance of getting in meaning that they are actually interested. So, I figure I'll give it a shot.
    Although since I'm a regular M.D. applicant, my chances maybe lower than indicated by those numbers. I guess I'll find out...

6. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

what kind of stats you think are required for those schools OOS?

7. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

In two words? Ridiculously high. :)

8. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

LOL. For those OOSers with interviews/acceptances past, what kind of stats did yall have? I am having great difficulty coming across accurate information about this.

9. paean

paean Senior Member

Until you get to the waiting list, USCF's official stance, as told to me as an instate applicant last year, was that they give no preference to California residents. They 80% instate comes because they have far more instate applicants than out of state applicants.

Overall stats are high, but if you have an interesting life story, or can bring a diverse perspective, that will also get you noticed. They also seem to like non-trad applicants with previous careers entirely outside of medicine, or in different areas of health than doctors normally handle. AMCAS essay also had a big impact on who they decided to interview. If you have a 3.4 and 28 or higher, and want to come to our foggy city, I encourage you to try. While there are a lot of 3.7 36+ MS1s, there are a lot who had far lower numbers and got in.