UCSF/UCSD Pharmacy Ultimatum 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaded03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are posts on this, but I thought I'd revamp this age-old discussion now that UCSD has risen in the ranks (with its new buildings and full-sized class), refined their curriculum, and has become fully accredited (with a lineage of successful passing rates on the boards). To all prospective and especially current students, what are the reasons for attending either? Some points to argue are: Curriculum, Accommodations/Living, Financial Aid, Rotations, and Facilities. Hopefully a lot of people are up for this :).

(I'd be selfish and ask the USC group to harp in, but if you would like to PM me pros and cons, I would love it. At the moment USC is an outstanding convenience for me and I have seen many successful alumni in my workplace.)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on all your acceptances.

Personally, I'd keep it simple and go with the one you like the best.

Some points to argue are: Curriculum, Accommodations/Living, Financial Aid, Rotations, and Facilities. Hopefully a lot of people are up for this :).

(I'd be selfish and ask the USC group to harp in, but if you would like to PM me pros and cons, I would love it. At the moment USC is an outstanding convenience for me and I have seen many successful alumni in my workplace.)

Seriously, I don't think most people on this forum really care to "argue" so to convince you to choose one school over another.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, I don't think most people on this forum really care to "argue" so to convince you to choose one school over another.

Good point. I'm surprised I put argue. I just meant to bring in some realities. I know the loyalty a student has to their school, but it be nice to gain some insight into what are the pros and cons about the schools. I'm not really asking to choose one school over another. We all take "rainy weather", "medical school curriculum" differently, but to bring up those issues would be nice. I didn't want to start a thread that has been discussed before, but all I could find were dated threads where UCSD as barely accredited, plus there have been changes recently. If there was a discussion then, that is all I'm asking for now. I'm not trying to do much else.

Personally, I'd keep it simple and go with the one you like the best.

Easier said than done. I'm a pretty flexible person. I've always just followed the aid. Free money and low tuition costs have guided me so far. With this "accept one and only one" rule I won't get a financial aid packet like I did as an undergrad from each of my choices. I have to look into other factors now and I figured I would go above and beyond and help future students (probably CA residents) who will face can likely face this decision later. In all honesty, I wish I didn't end up with as many choices as I have.

It all depends on which side of the profession you choose to enter after you graduate from pharmacy school.

If you're leaning towards more research/lab related side of pharmacy, go with UCSF.

For business, public health, JD focuses, attend USC. (especially if you're from Southern California and plan to work in the region)

UCSD haven't graduated too many pharmacists so their Alumni base and connections (possibly) aren't as broad as that of USC or UCSF.

I'm sure almost any pharmacist can find a job, but not everyone can get the best jobs. That's why where you attend school and the school's connections may potentially play a big role in future job/residency opportunities.

All three are excellent pharmacy schools. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Has UCSD changed their grading from P/NP to letter grade? For some reason I think the P/NP grading is a lot less stressful than the letter grade one.

Has UCSD changed their grading from P/NP to letter grade? For some reason I think the P/NP grading is a lot less stressful than the letter grade one.

No, UCSD utilizes the P/NP system.