UCSF v Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flash123

Reaction score
Hi all, I am very lucky to have these two options but need some help deciding which place might be best for me. I'm not sure what specialty I'd like to go into (my interests range from primary care, surgery, and anesthesiology but also open to exploring more!). I'm also interested in pursuing academic medicine and possibly obtaining an MPH (interested in health policy/systems & disparities) as well.

UCSF:

PROS
  • Great clinical program & research opportunities
  • Loved the city (weather, food, lots of outdoors activities), would absolutely enjoy spending the next 4 years here
  • All 4 years are P/F
  • Got a really positive vibe from the students and faculty on interview day, it feels like there's less of a medical hierarchy compared to East coast institutions
  • Lots of emphasis on improving health equity & health care delivery

CONS
  • OOS, so debt based on financial aid package might be around $200K after 4 years
  • High cost of living
  • Have never lived on the west coast so it feels a bit daunting
  • Would be farther away from family/support system

HOPKINS:

PROS
  • Also great clinical program with an abundance of research
  • Generous financial aid, about $70K in debt after 4 years
  • Lower cost of living
  • Familiar with Baltimore/surroundings (I've lived here the past 4 years )
  • Closer to support system & family

CONS
  • Would have to spend another 4 years in Baltimore (Although I'm not averse to Baltimore, it's not a place I'd like to live longterm)
  • "Gunner" reputation
  • A stronger focus on specialty care and less so on primary care

I'm leaning towards Hopkins just because of the significantly better financial aid package. However, a part of me wants to challenge my comfort zone and pursue living in SF. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins. The prestige to cost ratio is a amazing. 70k for Hopkins is fantastic

Reactions: 1 user
Easily hopkins due to the cost difference. I don't think the gunner reputation is true at all. All the people i met there were super friendly.

If UCSF was more equal in cost then I would've said UCSF since you want to get out of Baltimore for a bit but I don't think the extra 130k is worth it for such equally impressive schools. Either way though I don't think there's a wrong choice here especially if you're aiming for something competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I am very lucky to have these two options but need some help deciding which place might be best for me. I'm not sure what specialty I'd like to go into (my interests range from primary care, surgery, and anesthesiology but also open to exploring more!). I'm also interested in pursuing academic medicine and possibly obtaining an MPH (interested in health policy/systems & disparities) as well.

UCSF:

PROS
  • Great clinical program & research opportunities
  • Loved the city (weather, food, lots of outdoors activities), would absolutely enjoy spending the next 4 years here
  • All 4 years are P/F
  • Got a really positive vibe from the students and faculty on interview day, it feels like there's less of a medical hierarchy compared to East coast institutions
  • Lots of emphasis on improving health equity & health care delivery
CONS
  • OOS, so debt based on financial aid package might be around $200K after 4 years
  • High cost of living
  • Have never lived on the west coast so it feels a bit daunting
  • Would be farther away from family/support system
HOPKINS:

PROS
  • Also great clinical program with an abundance of research
  • Generous financial aid, about $70K in debt after 4 years
  • Lower cost of living
  • Familiar with Baltimore/surroundings (I've lived here the past 4 years )
  • Closer to support system & family
CONS
  • Would have to spend another 4 years in Baltimore (Although I'm not averse to Baltimore, it's not a place I'd like to live longterm)
  • "Gunner" reputation
  • A stronger focus on specialty care and less so on primary care
I'm leaning towards Hopkins just because of the significantly better financial aid package. However, a part of me wants to challenge my comfort zone and pursue living in SF. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!
Hopkins is definitely not a gunner school these days even though it may have been in the past. There’s essentially no AOA and no class rank, which removes all incentives to be a gunner. My interview there was one of my favorites and it’s probably my top choice going into May.

Reactions: 1 users