UCSF vs Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1020966

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like you like UCSF better. I would wait for financial aid packages and go with whoever gives you the most money.

Reactions: 2 users
It seems clear that it's UCSF and not really close. There's more crime in all major cities, highly doubt that's worth giving up having your entire support system nearby though. Also, where do you want to match? If on the West Coast, another point for UCSF. The only thing that should make you consider Cornell instead (imo) is if you get bad financial aid from UCSF and debt-free education from Cornell...in which case, definitely choose Cornell lol

Reactions: 10 users
UCSF sounds better for you in most respects -- I'd wait to see what the financial aid packages look like from both schools. If they're similar then I'd go with UCSF

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You give more pros to UCSF, so...

If your ultimate goal is to be back in California, then def UCSF.

Sounds like UCSF would be the place for you.

My $0.02 are that as someone living in the Bay Area I totally agree with the observation that SF has gone downhill. I don't live in SF proper, but any time I visit I've seen that the homeless crisis is getting worse, seen cars broken into in nice neighborhoods, and an overall increase in buildings not being maintained properly (graffiti, trash piling, etc.). Outside of those negatives, I love SF and if those aspects don't bother you, then you will have a great time here. Food is amazing, lots of museums, beautiful hikes less than an hour away, etc. UCSF itself is in a nice area (Mission Bay campus) and the Parnassus campus is right next to Golden Gate park and the Sunset neighborhood, one of the best parks I've ever been too and a neighborhood with great food! To be honest, my biggest negative of SF is the insanely high cost of living.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UCSF by all measures. Yes, SF is going down the toilet (literally) but you will be fine. I used live in SF and go once in a while.

I'd probably go with UCSF here. I agree with your view on UCSF > Cornell and NYC > SF, but SF and NYC are similar enough that most of your day to day will be dominated by the medical school experience.

Thank you all for the insight! It seems like the overwhelming consensus is on UCSF (which I agree with). I was wondering whether anyone has input into the value of P/F clerkships without AOA (UCSF) vs Honors/P/F clinical and AOA (Cornell).

Do you think there will be significant differences in the overall stress and competitive atmosphere of these schools? Are there any cons to P/F clerkships (differentiation)? This might have been discussed before but I guess I’m not completely sure yet what the benefits of P/F clerkships look like. TIA!

Based on your post, UCSF. Also FWIW I've lived in SF all my life and love it. I think it's an awesome place to live as a young adult. It does have its problems, but they are no more significant than those of other big cities

Thank you all for the insight! It seems like the overwhelming consensus is on UCSF (which I agree with). I was wondering whether anyone has input into the value of P/F clerkships without AOA (UCSF) vs Honors/P/F clinical and AOA (Cornell).

Do you think there will be significant differences in the overall stress and competitive atmosphere of these schools? Are there any cons to P/F clerkships (differentiation)? This might have been discussed before but I guess I’m not completely sure yet what the benefits of P/F clerkships look like. TIA!
P/F clerkships + no AOA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> H/P/F clerkship + AOA

UCSF is clearly the superior school in every aspect (unless you want to match rad onc at MSKCC or ortho at HSS in which case Cornell). UCSF's clinical training, research, and prestige are all unmatched by any school other than HMS and Hopkins. And don't forget the abundance of top ranking home residency programs in practically every field.

I do personally think NYC >> SF but we're talking about SF here not rural Nebraska.

Also you have no idea how stressful H/HP/P/F clerkships are when your grade is basically based off of 1. How good you are at sucking up 2. attractiveness (seriously) 3. Luck.

Looks like a no brainer to me honestly.

UCSF is clearly the superior school in every aspect (unless you want to match rad onc at MSKCC or ortho at HSS in which case Cornell). UCSF's clinical training, research, and prestige are all unmatched by any school other than HMS and Hopkins. And don't forget the abundance of top ranking home residency programs in practically every field.

I do personally think NYC >> SF but we're talking about SF here not rural Nebraska.

Also you have no idea how stressful H/HP/P/F clerkships are when your grade is basically based off of 1. How good you are at sucking up 2. attractiveness (seriously) 3. Luck.

Looks like a no brainer to me honestly.
I think UCSF clinical training is better than Harvard, more focused on primary care.

did you end up getting FA packages from both schools? if so, how do they compare?
I have yet to receive Cornell's FA package. I'll make a more detailed comment in the next couple of weeks, but I'll say UCSF's FA would leave me in about 20k loans for the 4 years. Not a bad deal if you ask me!

I have yet to receive Cornell's FA package. I'll make a more detailed comment in the next couple of weeks, but I'll say UCSF's FA would leave me in about 20k loans for the 4 years. Not a bad deal if you ask me!

Total loan burden is 20k? Your decision is already made then, even if Cornell comes through with full CoA, you seem to like UCSF more and 20k is nothing.