UCSF vs Keck USC full tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted884622

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think going to Keck won't exclude you from an academic career. Consider that if you take a research-heavy position as an attending, having no (or less) student debt would put less pressure on your grant writing. Go to Keck, start doing research early, match into research-heavy residency.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone,

I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted to UCSF and USC (full tuition). My financial aid package hasn't been completed at UCSF yet, but since they do mostly need-based, I think I'll just end up with a lot of loans from them. I'm a California resident and went to college there too. I hope to stay somewhere in California for residency and practice here too.

I loved my interview days at both places and could honestly see myself happy at either one. I would love to have a change of scenery and go to LA, since I find myself in SF several times a month.

It's really hard for me to turn down full tuition just based on the fact that I could do so many more life enriching activities with the money I don't have to spend paying back loans.

However, I have almost no clue what I want to do regarding specialty or research, or if I really will decide to go the academic route after all. I want to leave as many doors open as possible, so the ranking difference between USC and UCSF is something that concerns me. I do believe that higher ranked schools open doors for people since I went to an elite undergrad and have had a surprisingly successful application cycle.

What do you all think? What would you do in this position? Is ranking really that important for residency?

Totally a personal decision but I would go for UCSF. You only do med school once and brand matters, especially for academia. Its not that USC would close any doors, it just may not open as many as UCSF. Loans suck but most people have them. By the time you start paying them off it just becomes another fixed cost. Again, its a very personal decision, congrats on being in such a fortunate position!

Reactions: 1 users
Totally a personal decision but I would go for UCSF. You only do med school once and brand matters, especially for academia. Its not that USC would close any doors, it just may not open as many as UCSF. Loans suck but most people have them. By the time you start paying them off it just becomes another fixed cost. Again, its a very personal decision, congrats on being in such a fortunate position!

Agreed. UCSF is the better choice here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)