UCSF vs. Pritzker (75% tuition scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HammurabisCode

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I’m super grateful to even be in this position to chose between so many great options. I did not foresee anything like this when the cycle first opened up. A big consideration in my decision is my partner (soon to be fiancé). They are located in the Bay Area for law school and most likely after.

UCSF( COA~260k)
Pros:
T5 program with abundant research opportunities.
Strong mission fit( same is true for Pritzker)
Shorter preclinical
P/f clinicals (I foresee this to be huge)
No AOA
Proximity to my partner (we will be living together)

Cons:
Cost. I also have undergrad debt, so this worries me.
Older facilities? Idk I just hear everyone say this

Pritzker (75% tuition scholarship, total COA~180k)
Pros:
Cohesive and supportive student body

True p/f for the first two years

Also strong research and mission fit

Generous scholarship offer

Cons:
Not exactly sure about the safety of the area

2 year preclinical (will make it a bit more difficult for me to explore things I’m interested in)

Cold winters (I’m kinda getting sick of the cold lol)

AOA

Further away from my partner with the potential of 4+ years of distance

Ultimately, I think both schools are amazing and am so glad I was accepted to them. I want to minimize my debt while also being able to start planning my future with my partner.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh also, I forgot to say, I’m still waiting to hear back from WashU, but St. Louis doesn’t have as strong of a big law presence as SF and Chicago.

80k in price and being with your fiancé close by, I would say UCSF for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Support network (fiancé), better weather, true P/F, and T5 for an $80k difference is not too bad in my opinion. Not having to worry about AOA is also a huge bonus. UCSF!!

Reactions: 2 users
UCSF! Better school, SO nearby, better weather, better curriculum, negligible cost difference in the grand scheme of things.

Definitely UCSF. Being with your partner is HUGE. Tell UCSF about your scholarship and see if you can leverage it at all. Congrats on a very successful cycle!

If your partner is open to taking a Chicago job, I'd go Pritzker for the cost savings and because it's also an amazing school with very happy students and a reasonable CoL. If your partner is important to you and is deadset on staying in the bay, you'll likely be happier at UCSF.