Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Ucsf

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by JulianCrane, Feb 15, 2007.

1. JulianCrane

JulianCrane The Power of Intention
    10+ Year Member

Hi, I am thinking about doing an elective at UCSF and was wondering if someone could tell me about the hospital, the neighborhood, BART and living options. I don't have a car and don't drive, so how feasible would it be? Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cgscribe

cgscribe Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't go there, but I have an acceptance and have been to SF multiple times. Public transportation can get you anywhere you want to go. I believe the school offers housing options for those doing electives. I'm sure others will be more helpful.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I lived in San Francisco and worked at UCSF for a couple of years. My recommendation is to live in San Francisco while you are there. Its a little pricier than living in Oakland, but you won't have to worry about a long commute on BART, which is quite expensive (>$3 each way), in addition to having to ride the MUNI train. I am assuming you will doing your rotation at Moffitt-Long Hospital (the main campus). If you will be at San Francisco General, you'll probably want to live in the Mission, but you will probably have to strictly rely on a bus to get to work, as there isnt a train that goes over there. I would not live directly near the General, as it is kinda seedy and there is not that much going on. keep in mind you could live near Moffitt Hospital and take the free UCSF Shuttle to one of the satellite campuses (San Francisco General or Mt Zion).

Where to live:
    Here is a map and neighborhood guide, Use it. I would suggest either the inner sunset ( is within walking distance), the outer sunset (its closer to the ocean and as long as the N-line of the MUNI is within walking distance, it will take you about 10 minutes max to get to Parnassus by train), Cole Valley (within walking distance, also with a close N line in case you want to take the train downtown). You could find a number of other places to live, but make sure you have decent access to the N-Judah MUNI line if you want a straight shot to Moffitt. If you live closer to Moffitt, you will have more foggy weather; if you live closer to downtown, it will be sunnier. I lived in Cole Valley and it was a nice trade off because it was close to the hospital, but didn't have near the amount of fog as the inner sunset. There are a lot of good places to eat and a few good bars in this area and the inner sunset, so you really can't go wrong with things to do. Golden Gate Park and Haight Ashbury (which is another neighborhood you could potentially live in) are also within walking distance.

How much to pay:
    You could probably find a sublet on www.craigslist.org for anywhere between $500-900/mo. I suggest using this site or UCSF's housing site (they have a web page with people posting ads for roommates, sublets, etc.) You can also post an ad and see what you can get, as a lot of people don't advertise rooms they are trying to sublet.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free.