UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BlackPuma

a friend of mine recently got an interview letter, and she was extremely happy....she wanted me to ask what percentage of pple getting interviews get acceptance, waitlisted and rejected?

she also wanted to know the turn around time after her interview date which is around the 20th of december? UCSF is her first choice, and she is also a nervous wreck during the past week, because she is afraid of not getting accepted and never ever be able to pick up the pieces along the way....

She also wanted to know that at this stage of the game, does her gpa and mcat still play a factor, or has she jumped across those screen points? is her interview the deciding factor now?

she also wants to thank anyone ahead for their response, including me for typing her not legible handwriting (her computer crashed and never recovered).....

aRGGGGH that was annoying typing that for someone else...ok can someone please response, she is getting on my back :p I think she ran through the whole campus and told everyone she got the UCSF interview....YEEEESSSH :rolleyes: take a chill pill girl.....

Members don't see this ad.

ok I just got an angry phone call from you know who....apparently, she wants to clarify, she didn't run through the campus gloating her interview....apparently, "the word leaked out" :rolleyes:

hey watcha, you think your friend is weird? i was at the animal facility where i work when i got the email, and when i found out i almost kissed my rats (poor things!). then i ran up the hall screaming and 'attacked' the cleaning guy (i think i jumped up and down and then hugged him); he did not understand what i was saying, so now he thinks i am in love with him. there is a bunch of other crazy things i did when i found out, i don't want to post them here.
:D :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, I'm not sure anyone can really answer your friend's questions because nobody really knows. A lot of them have already been discussed in previous threads if she feels like doing a search for them. The MSAR might have the info on accept/reject percentages, though.

Check the usnews.com site for percentage of students accepted from those interviewed -- just go to the grad school link, and then I think they have links to med school searches -- that is what she wants to do.

As for GPA and MCAT, I'm fairly certain that at every school, they DO matter even after the interview. Getting the interview shows that UCSF thinks she is academically qualified, but in talking to admission people this last year, I think most schools take the entire package into consideration when making admissions decisions post-interview. However, your friend really should calm down a little. ;) Tell her to be happy with her interview and concentrate on that right now. If UCSF is her top choice, I would advise that she make that known during the interview if possible.

I would guess that UCSF pretty much assumes it's the top choice for all CA residents.

Congratulations to your friend for her interview. Now comes the fun part. :D

There have been previous threads that answer your questions. Here's the basic synopsis:
1) About half of those interviewed are accepted.
2) Turnaround time varies. The earliest she could hear is Jan. 15th, but it is more likely that it will be later.
3) While the whole package is taken into consideration, MCAT and GPA have little bearing at this point. What is more important is how much of an advocate your interviewers are for you at the committee meeting.

Good luck to your friend and tell her just to be herself at the interviews.

Originally posted by none:
•I would guess that UCSF pretty much assumes it's the top choice for all CA residents.•••

Unless of course someone is considering UCLA, Hopkins, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Duke, etc. :rolleyes: Especially when considering that many of these private schools can offer better financial aid packages. Different people have different needs. I think any school that automatically assumes it's a "top choice" is doing itself a disservice.

she read all your replies and she wanted me to tell you guys to say thank you, and that as soon as her computer is fixed she will start TYPING HER OWN MESSAGES, and I will no longer be her secretary :rolleyes:

argh, ok she has another question

are there going to be any students around december 20th? she wants to know if that means there will be two faculty interviews instead of the usual 1 student and 1 faculty...? :D