Ucsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hermanodequeso

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are peoples' opinions on the UCSF program?

Overall, I thought it was pretty good, but found it interesting how all of the residents commented on the work load. Is is really that much harder than MGH or Hopkins?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

This may be too little and too late for rank lists but I faced a similar dilemma last year regarding finalizing my list. Basically, I wanted to be in California near the coast and get the best possible training at a place that would offer as much opportunity as possible. That list came down to UCSF, UCSD, Stanford, and UCLA. I didn't interview at OHSU and UW because I didn't want to be in bad weather and no beach. I did a sub-I at UCLA and thought is was a great program. I agree with the other posts in the UCLA thread about it being the best in LA. In terms of caseload, I don't think any other program can top it. The strength of their surgical programs are unparalleled and this exposure is great for anesthesia. Still, I felt its reputation outside of LA was lacking, and since I don't plan to live in LA I did not rank it first. I guess the reason I ranked UCSF first was that it was an opportunity that I couldn't deny. It had all of the geographic factors, plus a network and reputation that is nationwide. My advisor trained at Stanford and he told me to rank UCSF 1st. The program director at UCSD mentioned that he felt UCSF was easily the best program on the West Coast and only seriously rivaled by MGH. Finally, as resident this year working in the ER, I treated a woman for a local cellulitis. Her daughter was with her and mentioned that she was a cardiac anesthesiologist at Johns Hopkins (the daughter). She told me I couldn't have chosen a better program. These anecdotes, plus the multiple job offers I've already received from the local groups, have convinced me I made the right choice. The reaction from many attendings here is that training there speaks for itself. As for workload, I just received an orientation e-mail mentioning that there is no call for the 1st two months, and that after that, it is a weekly night float system where you come in in the afternoon (3pm) and work until either a few or no rooms are running depending on which call you are doing. This is for a week every month or so and then you go back to regular days. Approximately 2 weekends off per month. This is for the Moffit-Long University Hospital. ICU is Q3 and I am unsure of the schedule at the SFGH and VA hospital. Overall, I believe the schedule is manageable. An attending I know here said he had ample time to surf and have fun while living in a really awesome place. Please feel free to PM me or e-mail me or post any questions.

hi offshore,

are u happening to be from wake? did u interview at mgh last year? i interviewed at both mgh and brigham and find myself liking brigham more than mgh. i just find it difficult for me to relate to the chairman at mgh. what are your views about these 2 programs as well as johns hopkins.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Sechen
Hope your interviews went well. I am not from Wake. I am from a small archipelago off the coast of North America where we have an active volcano and happened to be bombed by the Empire of Japan around 50 years ago! JK- I'm from Hawaii. Actually I cancelled my interviews at MGH, BW, and JH. Call me crazy but I wanted to be out west near the beach. Didn't you mention something similar in another post? So I guess I can't help you much regarding those schools. A classmate of mine matched at MGH last year and was very stoked as he did a sub-i there. He liked it much nore than BW where he also did a sub-i. As for JH, seems like you really can't go wrong with a place like that. From what you mentioned in your other posts, it sounds like you and I have many similar residency goals. If geography is not a problem and you didn't interview or don't want to be in San Francisco then I would choose either Harvard program or JH. As Dr. Miller (UCSF)said during our interview, "I can't understand why one wouldn't want to get the best possible training at the best possible place." That being said, I would still look strongly at UCLA. It's a great program. And intern year in Hawaii's not too shabby either!

"I can't understand why one wouldn't want to get the best possible training at the best possible place"

I interviewed there last year and didn't bother to rank them. I didn't want to live in San Francisco - my family is in the midwest and the city didn't really agree with me.

UCSF is the best program out West by reputation, but there was nothing about the training there that struck me as being better than say, Wake Forest, Duke, Michigan, Ohio State, or any of the other places that I traveled to.

Sevo--sorry you didn't like it there...:cool: