Ucsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meggs

Dpr@v@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
About University of California @ San Francisco...

How many will the accept? How many do they interview? What are the chances in that school? I ask 'cause beign a state school it probably gets more applications than private ones....

Any info about this school will help a lot..... Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have an idea about the practical exam administered by UCSF? what do they ask for? and what are the other things they look for?
itsme

Hi,
UCSF has around 24 seats ,the reqts r NDBE 1 and TOEFL.but the only hassle is the technical test.they have some written test too,i am not sure how hard it is.but it is specified in the application.
dexterity tests usually have cavity preparations and crown preparations.thatz what i heard from 1 of my friends who is doing IDP there.there is a personal interview too but thatz the typical stuffl rgding hobbies ,experiences in dentistry etc same as everywhere.
i know getting in is tough ,but chaces r better compared to U Penn .there is no clause like the ethnic diversity one they have in U Penn.
so let's all do our best and hope we will make it somewhere......i know it's not an easy task...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dentek2
......i know getting in is tough ,but chaces r better compared to U Penn .there is no clause like the ethnic diversity one they have in U Penn............

Again, what's the ethnic diversity clause? I don't know anyone else in this process (other than you guys), so I'm not familiar with diversity thing.....
What am I supossed to expect?????
By the way, I'm a Latin female.

the ethnic diversity clause is something like this,
suppose there are 2 candidates ,1st one from a country whose students have already been accepted to the PASS program and the 2nd , from a country who doesn't have any students attending the program.
so even if candidate 1 has better credentials than 2, the chances of acceptance are more for the 2nd candidate as long as his credentials are acceptable.all they want to do is give an equal chance to people with lesser representation in the school.so that there will be students from diverse backgrounds.
and 1 thing more,UCSF doesnot have this policy , it applies only to U Penn.
hope u understood,Meggs

Thanks dentek2. With the amount of diversity in CA, I don't think UCSF needs such clause, they're already in San Fco!!!!

Which other schools hold an ethnic diversity clause?

Originally posted by meggs
Thanks dentek2. With the amount of diversity in CA, I don't think UCSF needs such clause, they're already in San Fco!!!!

I beg to differ. At the rate its going, very shortly they will name the IDP ( INTERNATIONAL DENTAL PROGRAM) to IDP ( INDIAN DENTAL PROGRAM).

Originally posted by Henna
I beg to differ. At the rate its going, very shortly they will name the IDP ( INTERNATIONAL DENTAL PROGRAM) to IDP ( INDIAN DENTAL PROGRAM).
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wonder where do latins stand a better chance? other than Nova of course, but.... where else?

:) Its alway better to be in the minority, you stand a good chance almost everywhere, did you apply to UPENN yet ?

Originally posted by Henna
:) Its alway better to be in the minority, you stand a good chance almost everywhere, did you apply to UPENN yet ?

Thanks Henna for cheering me up!!! Although I will like to get accepted by my resume, rather than by to look good on statistics. But......

Even tough my numbers are not the UPenn "style", I still will go ahead and apply, since my biggest desire is to go to East Coast 2 year program. Thanks again.

;)

Definately apply to UPenn.. I felt that there were no such "ethnic clause" during my interview, it's all a big urban myth! (I am not an Indian!)

The feel of the interview was that they were looking for someone who would actually benefit from the PASS program. They wanted to seek out candidates who were academically and mentally prepared to go back to the basics and be students again. In other words, they were seeking candidates who could survive their program (which sounded pretty intense). It's no walk in the park, right? Financial stress, family stress and academic stress... they will all affect your performance at the school... your discipline and your motivation will be important. The admission committee wanted to see that, I guess. So many people I met at the interview were only interested in showing off what they had done or their Board scores. They weren't talking about why they felt they were the right candidate for PASS.

meggs, you should definately apply and see what happens! When you get an offer of an interview, go with a smile. Be confident (they are very nice people) and be honest with yourself and speak why you want PASS to pick you. They've interviewed so many students so far, I guess they will be able to pick someone repeating standardized answer over and over again...
From what I've read so far, your posts sound like you have a fair chance!! Go to it and good luck.

2ed

THANKS YOU GUYS!!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!
Thanks for cheering me up!!!

Thanks God I have no family stress, so that should aliviate me a bit.

Thanks Henna and 2nd edition!.

I hope 2nd edition turns out to be just like the show Early Edition, predicting things!. :D

hi henna
i got a letter from ucsf stateing that they have still not recived my course by course eval...and also that the course by course eval should state that i have completed dentistry in india ..... i am confused........i m already giving my dregree certifcate which states that i have completed dentistry in india ........isnt ece eval for the eqivalnce here in the us
when ever i call uscsf that lady incharge she is never there ....
secondly
she states that she has not recived my courseby course eval ...whihcis not possible as all the other univ whihc i ahd asked it to be mailed to have already recived it .......

pl give me some advise i do not know what to do

hey!
guys this ethnic diversity isn't it racial decrimination????
thats ill leagal!!!

ubd

Originally posted by kosha
hi henna
i got a letter from ucsf stateing that they have still not recived my course by course eval...and also that the course by course eval should state that i have completed dentistry in india ..... i am confused........i m already giving my dregree certifcate which states that i have completed dentistry in india ........isnt ece eval for the eqivalnce here in the us
when ever i call uscsf that lady incharge she is never there ....
secondly
she states that she has not recived my courseby course eval ...whihcis not possible as all the other univ whihc i ahd asked it to be mailed to have already recived it .......

pl give me some advise i do not know what to do
Call them and varify the address. If I am not wrong ECE does mention where you got your degree from.