1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UDM questions for current students

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by iSmile5, Dec 13, 2008.

1. iSmile5

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hello,
    So next week I have an interview at UDM and I was just wondering about a few things. If you are a current student and could answer any of them I would greatly appreciate it!

1. I know UDM is a catholic institution but how much does it actually come into play? Specifically, I am Jewish, is this going to be a problem? Am I going to feel out of place if I attend this school? Are things focused around religion?

2. How are the 4 years set up? When do you start seeing patients? What does a typical D3 or D4 day look like?

3. Does everybody commute/is there enough parking?

I believe that is all for now :)

-iSmile5

2. MKD1960

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm not a current student, but I've interviewed and been accepted at both UDM and U of Mich. UDM moved to a awesome new facility recently and is located in one building in an urban area. You can commute from suburbs such as Royal OaK in about 20-25 minutes. I have friends that attend and they say that UDM is a top-notch dental school with a caring faculty. They focus on dentistry not religion. Their clinical experience is outstanding and there is no shortage of patients. At this point I am probably going to UDM over U of Mich. Hope that helps.

3. DentAZ

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am a student and let me go through your questions one by one.

1. You absolutely won't feel out of place at UDM being Jewish. I don't think religion has anything to do with admissions, at least from what I can see. Nothing is really focused on religion. However, a professor won't be reprimanded, it seems, for talking about God.

2. 1st year is didactic, as well as 2nd year. However, you will be working on each other in your first semester doing impressions, etc. So you begin your clinical experience quickly. 3rd year is when you begin seeing "real" patients, and the same for 4th year. You will see patients most of the day, from what I understand.

3. Everyone commutes. Some people 10 minutes, most 25 minutes, and some over an hour. You choose. There is ample parking, for sure. A lot of people carpool together.