UF c/o 2014... It Begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am glad you have till August to get everything together, but I think the CPR class was the biggest stumbling block for most of us with getting the paperwork done, well most of us that didn't get the wrong shot (I mean really, who does that:rolleyes:).

As for another lunch, I am all for that. When do you think you will be moving? We can definitely plan a get together. I know the Orlando group has a Q&A next week, so doing it before the session is too soon, but maybe the second one in July? Any thoughts on that?

The lunch wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped (granted I was over an hour late for a 1 1/2 hour lunch.) I only spoke to the 2 people who sat near me. I think we will need to resort to a bar-b-que either at your place or at a public park that allows bar-b-queing. Bring your own meat and potluck for everything else: sides, chips, soda with a cooler and ice, paper products, and of course dessert, dessert, and more dessert!!!

That will allow for much more mingling.

Members don't see this ad.

http://coplin.cop.ufl.edu/policies/

There is a way to forward it, but as College of Pharmacy, we are not allowed to based on the fact it could lead to HIPAA violations. Which is odd, because as a student there should be no reason we have patient sensitive data on our computers, but the college of Pharmacy has stated we aren't allowed...so we aren't allowed.

I am just hoping that they will allow us to use Outlook, that way I don't have to figure out how to navigate that UF page. It looks nearly impossible. Perhaps, that is a good question to ask... So now I can officially go to the Q&A sessions without looking silly... Although passing notes is a great reason to go, free food isn't great for me, because I have food allergies.

Yes you can use outlook. There are directions on how to set that up, if you need them PM me and I will send them to you.

On a side note what I find really suspicious is that we are required to encrypt our computers because it is a hipaa requirement because our computers may contain patient's PHI. But we are also required to setup our iDevises to receive our UF email. Huh? My iPhone is the least secure electronic device I own. Seems odd to me. Not that I want to encrypt my iPhone.:laugh:

Yes you can use outlook. There are directions on how to set that up, if you need them PM me and I will send them to you.

On a side note what I find really suspicious is that we are required to encrypt our computers because it is a hipaa requirement because our computers may contain patient's PHI. But we are also required to setup our iDevises to receive our UF email. Huh? My iPhone is the least secure electronic device I own. Seems odd to me. Not that I want to encrypt my iPhone.:laugh:

what's even more strange is the fact that they require an iphone/touch/pad but also require windows as the main laptop OS... wait what?

Members don't see this ad :)
that's true, but mine is a bigger inconvenience since I own a macbook as my main machine.

psstt <looks around nervously>... you didn't hear this from me, but just use your macbook...

Of course you will have to use a friend's computer for all the computer admissions junk, but after that you will be good to go. Do not buy a new computer just for the admissions stuff.

psstt <looks around nervously>... you didn't hear this from me, but just use your macbook...

Of course you will have to use a friend's computer for all the computer admissions junk, but after that you will be good to go. Do not buy a new computer just for the admissions stuff.

are you a current UF student? if so what campus are you attending? i'm preparing a PM for you...

Thanks Jackie for organizing the CPR class! Sorry I had to rush off, you were on the phone and I had to get to work.
I am going to be in Jacksonville campus with MT2RX!!! I am very happy that she got accepted! We have to keep each other motivated!
Thanks again Jackie and it was nice to meet everyone!

Congrats to all of us that FINALLY made it in! Thanks Jackie, Howard, Fenderbiz, for all your encouragement. And thanks again Jackie for putting together the CPR class. I'm sorry I couldn't make lunch, but I'm hoping you guys will invite me to another get together in Orlando that I can talk to everyone. My deadline for paperwork is extended to Aug 1st, but yes, I have a leg up on things! If you all hear anything more about this FBOP meeting requirement let me know.

Howard (D), I didn't get a chance to talk to you but I was the only redhead at the CPR class...right in front of you. I would have said something but that CPR chick was hardcore tough on the 'no talking' it seemed (didn't she bitch at you at one point? I almost started laughing!). Orlando was my 1st choice, and my friend's too, but she got into Jacksonville as well, so maybe it was preordained. LOL, the issue is the Orlando campus is all so happy no one bailed!

Lisa

I just figured out that your name is Lisa. I beat you to that one, Fenderbiz! One point for me!!!

that's true, but mine is a bigger inconvenience since I own a macbook as my main machine.

I quote the following from UFCOP website's computer requirements for PharmD under the "Security" tab: "APPLE LAPTOP Owners: To satisfy the whole disk encryption requirement you may use FileVault. This program should be part of your operating system when you purchased your laptop. This will encrypt only your home directory but this will be sufficient, for Apple laptop owners only, to meet encryption requirement."

You CAN OFFICIALLY use a Mac laptop. It does not have to be Windows!!!

http://coplin.cop.ufl.edu/students/resources/requirements/

Also, under the OS tab it says, "Mac's with any software enabling it to run XP, Vista or 7 is acceptable."

I don't know much about Mac's, but I assume that all of them can run Windows nowadays? Or, I guess if yours can't then, you can just get some software to allow it to.

The lunch wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped (granted I was over an hour late for a 1 1/2 hour lunch.) I only spoke to the 2 people who sat near me. I think we will need to resort to a bar-b-que either at your place or at a public park that allows bar-b-queing. Bring your own meat and potluck for everything else: sides, chips, soda with a cooler and ice, paper products, and of course dessert, dessert, and more dessert!!!

That will allow for much more mingling.
Perhaps next time I will tell you that the scheduled event is two hours earlier than it actually is, and therefore you will arrive 45 minutes early and stand around looking bored instead of late...

I wouldn't mind doing something at a park around here but none of them have barbecue. But we could do a potluck picnic. But most people wouldn't want to drive to nearly Kissimmee for that.

That is truly odd. I hope they don't see this and try to find some way to encrypt our iDevices as well.

Where are the directions to send it to outlook?

Yes, Orlando. I anxiously await your PM.

YAY Orlando!!! Will you be at the Q&A Friday?

Thanks Jackie for organizing the CPR class! Sorry I had to rush off, you were on the phone and I had to get to work.
I am going to be in Jacksonville campus with MT2RX!!! I am very happy that she got accepted! We have to keep each other motivated!
Thanks again Jackie and it was nice to meet everyone!

I am sorry I was on the phone, my husband and I were dicussing logistics about getting the kids home, those conversations always take longer than they should!!! I am glad you are going there together. It always helps to know people there.

I just figured out that your name is Lisa. I beat you to that one, Fenderbiz! One point for me!!!

I knew that Friday...in fact I knew that before then...but Friday I had a name and a face together...:smuggrin: So I believe I win that point!!!

Lols, you guys are hysterical!:rofl:I'd be up for a potluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are the directions to send it to outlook?
YAY Orlando!!! Will you be at the Q&A Friday?

The directions are under e-Learning - "Administrative Site for Orlando Campus" - Course Material - "Accessing Gatorlink Mail form Outlook Express"

I also attached them to this post. Hopefully not a terms of service violation, I don't think it's confidential information. :laugh:

I will not be at the QA session, sorry. But the people who will be there will take good care of you. :laugh:

Attachments

• Accessing Gatorlink Mail from Outlook Express.doc
    29 KB · Views: 234
Has anybody bought the malpractice insurance yet? How much did it cost? Apparently, mine only costs 29 dollars. Doesn't look like to me.

Has anybody bought the malpractice insurance yet? How much did it cost? Apparently, mine only costs 29 dollars. Doesn't look like to me.

My husband (a practicing clinical pharmacist) has his malpractice insurance through them as well, and his is under $120 a year. So that price doesn't surprise me.

I quote the following from UFCOP website's computer requirements for PharmD under the "Security" tab: "APPLE LAPTOP Owners: To satisfy the whole disk encryption requirement you may use FileVault. This program should be part of your operating system when you purchased your laptop. This will encrypt only your home directory but this will be sufficient, for Apple laptop owners only, to meet encryption requirement."

You CAN OFFICIALLY use a Mac laptop. It does not have to be Windows!!!

http://coplin.cop.ufl.edu/students/resources/requirements/

Also, under the OS tab it says, "Mac's with any software enabling it to run XP, Vista or 7 is acceptable."

I don't know much about Mac's, but I assume that all of them can run Windows nowadays? Or, I guess if yours can't then, you can just get some software to allow it to.

All Mac's can run the Windows operating system....that came with the Intel chip a few years back........

However, you have to obtain a copy of bootcamp(?) which can be downloaded from the internet(?) which allows you to create a partition of your hard drive........

Then, you have to obtain a copy of Windows XP, Windows Vista or 7 and load it on this partitioned hard drive......

But, as a mac user for about 20 years, it's somewhat against my religion to use my mac to run windows.......:laugh:

Congrats to all of you!

While the random questions about before school tasks should be posted here for the benefit of others...if you have any specific questions (not just now...but in August when classes open) feel free to PM me. I am a rising 2PD at the Jax campus. ;)

Congrats to all of you!

While the random questions about before school tasks should be posted here for the benefit of others...if you have any specific questions (not just now...but in August when classes open) feel free to PM me. I am a rising 2PD at the Jax campus. ;)

Thanks for the help!!!

I do have one question, how much work is it to set up all the stuff we need to do on the iPhone/iPod Touch... I am trying to figure out if I should switch to the iPhone now, or wait until my contract is up with verizon in the middle of the school year, thus having to set up the device again.

The directions are under e-Learning - "Administrative Site for Orlando Campus" - Course Material - "Accessing Gatorlink Mail form Outlook Express"

I also attached them to this post. Hopefully not a terms of service violation, I don't think it's confidential information. :laugh:

I will not be at the QA session, sorry. But the people who will be there will take good care of you. :laugh:

Set up...and surprisingly easy!!! My outlook did it all on its own with supplied email address and password.

Thanks for the help!!!

I do have one question, how much work is it to set up all the stuff we need to do on the iPhone/iPod Touch... I am trying to figure out if I should switch to the iPhone now, or wait until my contract is up with verizon in the middle of the school year, thus having to set up the device again.

The itouch....

Well first of all, Im pretty sure the apps you buy you would have to purchase again. Besides that the instructions can be viewed forever as far as I can tell so you can always just redo it. Mostly my itouch is a paperweight until we use it to take quizes in the spring semester. Im sure we used it before that but maybe it was a once in a while thing.

Id compare the cost of repurchasing the apps versus breaking your contract. If I remember correctly setting up everything didnt take very long at all. Maybe a half hour to an hour...including downloading times.

If youre on the itouch/iphone fence Id say get the iphone...if you can afford it. Being able to be online anywhere is very helpful. If you are minimizing expenses just do the itouch then buy the iphone for rotations. Thats what Im going to do. Then Ill just resell my itouch.

The itouch....

Well first of all, Im pretty sure the apps you buy you would have to purchase again. Besides that the instructions can be viewed forever as far as I can tell so you can always just redo it. Mostly my itouch is a paperweight until we use it to take quizes in the spring semester. Im sure we used it before that but maybe it was a once in a while thing.

Id compare the cost of repurchasing the apps versus breaking your contract. If I remember correctly setting up everything didnt take very long at all. Maybe a half hour to an hour...including downloading times.

If youre on the itouch/iphone fence Id say get the iphone...if you can afford it. Being able to be online anywhere is very helpful. If you are minimizing expenses just do the itouch then buy the iphone for rotations. Thats what Im going to do. Then Ill just resell my itouch.

What are the apps we need so can look at the prices? I am leaning toward the iPhone for many reasons, plus we are getting my daughter a cell phone so if I wait till november to get the iPhone then I have to pay activation at Verizon and a new battery (have an old phone for her) plus transfer to AT&T...so in the end it is probably about a difference of $75 or so dollars...so pending the apps price it might be better to switch. I didn't think of the cost of the apps too...

Anyway, let me know what the apps are so I can price shop.... Your help is greatly appreciated since I am having a terrible time making this decision.

What are the apps we need so can look at the prices? I am leaning toward the iPhone for many reasons, plus we are getting my daughter a cell phone so if I wait till november to get the iPhone then I have to pay activation at Verizon and a new battery (have an old phone for her) plus transfer to AT&T...so in the end it is probably about a difference of $75 or so dollars...so pending the apps price it might be better to switch. I didn't think of the cost of the apps too...

Anyway, let me know what the apps are so I can price shop.... Your help is greatly appreciated since I am having a terrible time making this decision.

I am sure that your daughter can wait until November to get her phone. We are only talking about 6 months or less...but in daughter years, that is about 12 years, so I guess that is a long time!

I know we need Epocrates and I think that is free. I bought a used iTouch (actually four of them...when I started looking into buying a used one, I sort of got into the buying and reselling business...I have only sold one so far.) Anyway, one of the used iTouches I bought has Epocrates on it which shocked me since I thought it was only for pharmacists. I just got the free version.

Go to http://www.epocrates.com/products/iphone/ and you can see what we need to get. There are 4 versions and they range in price from free to $199 per year. On the one hand, I would think you could just transfer your account from one iTouch/iPhone to another...as long as your username and password are "paid for for the year" ... or have it on multiple devices...but...on the other hand, if that were true, then we could just pay for one and we could all share the same username and password, so I am sure that won't work.

Regardless, we MAY not need Epocrates until we do rotations...I'm not sure. But, I must say, jeepers! Since it may cost as much as the iTouch itself!!! Hopefully, we just need the free one!

Just jailbreak your iphone or itouch and you can all the apps for free

I am sure that your daughter can wait until November to get her phone. We are only talking about 6 months or less...but in daughter years, that is about 12 years, so I guess that is a long time!

Regardless, we MAY not need Epocrates until we do rotations...I'm not sure. But, I must say, jeepers! Since it may cost as much as the iTouch itself!!! Hopefully, we just need the free one!

As for the daughter and the cell phone, it is not only because she wants it, but because she will be taking the bus next year and I will have a locator on the phone, so essentially it will be a pre-teen electronic leash disguised as something she is asking for so I can track that she got to school etc...

As for Epocrates, I know the version we need we have to buy, the 1PD's were talking about it during interviews. And as the other poster said, there are multiple apps we have to BUY, meaning pay for, so unfortunately that is a factor.

For all going to the Orlando Q&A session, some people had brought up meeting for lunch before hand. Thanks to a helpful rising 2PD I found out that there is civilization not too far from the campus in the form of a Chili's.

Anyone interested in meeting us there for lunch please feel free. It is about 10 minutes from the Apopka campus. If you know you will be there send me an email so I can get a big enough table/area, [email protected]

West Apopka-Chili's
1634 West Orange Blossom Trail
Apopka, FL 32712

mine was about 120$. I have another healthcare license and they said I have to buy insurance for both if I keep my other license :mad:

Mine was $29 also.

That's what i paid.....

I called them since I have a tech certification, but not a license/registration, which is something that is required in the state of Florida and I don't plan to get it since I am a pharmacy student. Well they won't give me a straight answer and the wording on the site is odd because it states certification/license, but you have to have the license to work in Florida...UGH!!! Why can't it just be easy! Anyone else know what to do have this problem???

Just jailbreak your iphone or itouch and you can all the apps for free

PharmTech8241 unfortunately, I can neither confirm nor deny that I would jailbreak an iTouch, nor that I have received written instructions from an acquantance on how to do so and it is extremely quick and easy.

Whether one could google it or watch videos on youtube can also neither be confirmed nor denied.

However, to plaigarize the UFCOP website:

Your computer activity is tracked by HSC IT services
We STRONGLY discourage Pharmacy students from using Peer 2 Peer software on their laptops, please refer to the bullet above

HSC is Health Science Center. So, I would suggest using bit torrents or peer 2 peer or jailbreaking from your home or other internet provider rather than on UF's campus.

Also, if you have a second computer, I would leave any such software off of your laptop, if you only have the one computer, then, you can have it on your laptop since you will be using it for medicinal purposes only.

Pay for apps... boy is that funny! Reminds me of people who pay for electricity, cable, and internet access...just tap into the neighbors!!!

For all going to the Orlando Q&A session, some people had brought up meeting for lunch before hand. Thanks to a helpful rising 2PD I found out that there is civilization not too far from the campus in the form of a Chili's.

Anyone interested in meeting us there for lunch please feel free. It is about 10 minutes from the Apopka campus. If you know you will be there send me an email so I can get a big enough table/area, [email protected]

West Apopka-Chili's
1634 West Orange Blossom Trail
Apopka, FL 32712

Chili's opens at 10:45 am and we will be meeting at 11:00 am

As for the daughter and the cell phone, it is not only because she wants it, but because she will be taking the bus next year and I will have a locator on the phone, so essentially it will be a pre-teen electronic leash disguised as something she is asking for so I can track that she got to school etc...

As for Epocrates, I know the version we need we have to buy, the 1PD's were talking about it during interviews. And as the other poster said, there are multiple apps we have to BUY, meaning pay for, so unfortunately that is a factor.

Well done on the cell phone tracking. I actually haven't heard of that. Good way to catch the spouse having an affair... in fact... catch them in the act!!! ... or not.

Anyway, what version of Epocrates do we need?

http://www.epocrates.com/products/i...s-IpodTouch2&gclid=COvN7aGypaICFQLEsgod7yqXyg

I would guess either the $99 or the $199 version since you said it isn't free and the $159 version doesn't offer us much.

Well done on the cell phone tracking. I actually haven't heard of that. Good way to catch the spouse having an affair... in fact... catch them in the act!!! ... or not.

Anyway, what version of Epocrates do we need?

http://www.epocrates.com/products/i...s-IpodTouch2&gclid=COvN7aGypaICFQLEsgod7yqXyg

I would guess either the $99 or the $199 version since you said it isn't free and the $159 version doesn't offer us much.

Well some students at the interview date said it wasn't free, but I talked to another rising 2PD and he said his version was the free one. He also said they may change the requirements for our group so I should ask at the Q&A on Friday.

Well some students at the interview date said it wasn't free, but I talked to another rising 2PD and he said his version was the free one. He also said they may change the requirements for our group so I should ask at the Q&A on Friday.

be sure to let us country folk at the gainesville campus know too!

I finished all my paperwork!! Well, it was all cake but immunizations and the cpr class were holding me up! Got my tdap today though and I'm officially done and mailing it tomorrow :clap: My question is though, can i just put all the paperwork in one envelope or does each have to be sent seperately? I know that my immunizations need to be sent to health center and admissions but can everything else just be jumbled together?

I think i was cutting it a little close, but its still before the July 1.. hopefully this procrastination doesn't follow me to school in the fall :/ How's everyone else doing on their paperwork/immunizations? I had to go to three health departments to find one that had a tdap in stock!

I just put everything in one big envelope...I was in such a rush to get it mailed out I didn't notice the immunization mailing address...oops...lol...looks like I'll be mailing out a copy of the immunization info to the correct address...I would just mail the immunization stuff to where it said it should be mailed

I finished all my paperwork!! Well, it was all cake but immunizations and the cpr class were holding me up! Got my tdap today though and I'm officially done and mailing it tomorrow :clap: My question is though, can i just put all the paperwork in one envelope or does each have to be sent seperately? I know that my immunizations need to be sent to health center and admissions but can everything else just be jumbled together?

I think i was cutting it a little close, but its still before the July 1.. hopefully this procrastination doesn't follow me to school in the fall :/ How's everyone else doing on their paperwork/immunizations? I had to go to three health departments to find one that had a tdap in stock!

My paperwork will be done tomorrow. I think we need to send the items to the requested departments, but if you have several things going to one office, such as student affairs office, then I think those can all go together. I will be paperclipping the items together that go together (such as internship application and copy of social security card) so it has some sort of order.

thanks guys! I am SO excited to have this weight off my hands, I've been stressed that paperwork is going to mess up my admissions so I just want it all in :)

I was just double checking where everything is supposed to go...

Where does the copy of the health insurance card go?

I am assuming it goes to Office of Student affairs...but I didn't find where it said that. Though I think my eyes are just seeing a jumble of letters now that I have been staring at all this paperwork.

Last edited:
In the conditional admit letter it says:

4. Mail or fax the Mandatory Immunization Health History Form to the Student Health Care Center (SHCC). Mailing address and fax #'s are listed on the bottom of the form.
5. Mail a copy of the Mandatory Immunization Health History Form to: College of Pharmacy, Office for Student Affairs, PO Box 100495, Gainesville, FL 32610-0495. Do not fax it. You may keep the original for your records.

So you'll have to send the immunization forms to both addresses they gave us

Just to let you know...AT&T offers UF students a 15% discount on both their calling plan and iphone service :) You can either do it online or show your ID card at the store.

be sure to let us country folk at the gainesville campus know too!

The Orlando people are the country folk...the Orlando campus is in the remote reaches of a place called Apopka. GVille is a thriving city compared to the part of Apopka where the Orlando campus is.

Did anyone else pre-order the new Iphone? I was able to get it through the first day, luckily. Some idiots are paying near $1k for the early pre-orders on ebay because Apple keeps pushing back the ship date.

Did anyone else pre-order the new Iphone? I was able to get it through the first day, luckily. Some idiots are paying near $1k for the early pre-orders on ebay because Apple keeps pushing back the ship date.

Yes I was able to get through on AT&Ts website on the 1st day. I can't wait! I just hope my order doesn't get delayed because of all the "issues".

BTW Who got football tickets? check your GatorMail if you entered the UF student tix lottery.

I won the lottery!
Its going to be a great year with the recruiting class we got.

I got in the lottery, as well. I'm in Jacksonville, though, and we have to pick up the tickets from Tuesday to Thursday. Does anyone have any tips on accomplishing this? :confused:

I'm in need of some advice...

I am interested in getting the Iphone, however, I am on Tmobile right now and I really do not want to change my carrier. I was thinking about getting an unlocked and jailbroken iphone, but I was wondering if I would still be able to get all the apps I need for school on an unlocked iphone. I'm not really tech savvy, so I'm unsure as to if this is a good idea or not. Any advice would be helpful! :)

I'm in need of some advice...

I am interested in getting the Iphone, however, I am on Tmobile right now and I really do not want to change my carrier. I was thinking about getting an unlocked and jailbroken iphone, but I was wondering if I would still be able to get all the apps I need for school on an unlocked iphone. I'm not really tech savvy, so I'm unsure as to if this is a good idea or not. Any advice would be helpful! :)

I'm not sure. A current student would be ideal to help you with that. I believe that you can get any apps on a jailbroken phone, although you may have to pay for some (most?) if you can't find them for free.

Another solution which most people seem not to like is simply to have two. Your jailbroken iPhone ... and a used 1st generation iTouch which you can keep unjailbroken. You could probably get one for around $100.

Why don't you want to switch carriers? If you have time on your contract, you could just buy your way out of that...or wait it out.