UF c/o 2014... It Begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Getting the 8gb itouch would be pushing it. Its actually more like 5.5gb after all the initial apple hardware is put on it. I currently have the ipad and have only used 3 gb's so far. With those 3gb's I have been able to put 300 songs, 700 pics, 1 hour of video and about 15 apps...so if you are'nt going to put much more than that on your itouch you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

At the Q & A session at St. Pete, we were told that as soon as they determine what the official computer requirements we will get our next list of "to do" items. This list supposedly takes about 8 hours (for the average person) to complete......

These items include making videos of ourselves.....one is supposed to be a formal video and the other more casual......

Does any one know why they make us do this?

I was under the impression that the computer requirements were finalized. It states on the computer requirements that they are finalized for the incoming fall 2010 students.

As for the assignments, the email I got Tuesday, said that we would get our assignments this week.

And the video we were told about, we were told it was graded by our peers.

I was under the impression that the computer requirements were finalized. It states on the computer requirements that they are finalized for the incoming fall 2010 students.

As for the assignments, the email I got Tuesday, said that we would get our assignments this week.

And the video we were told about, we were told it was graded by our peers.

I am sorry I wasn't very clear about that....it's not the computer requirements, but the changes to the e-learning system that they wanted to finish before sending our list of to do items.....

.....it's graded by our peers (that's interesting), but what's the purpose of the videos?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry I wasn't very clear about that....it's not the computer requirements, but the changes to the e-learning system that they wanted to finish before sending our list of to do items.....

.....it's graded by our peers (that's interesting), but what's the purpose of the videos?

The purpose as far as we were told was to get familiar with the technology of the webcam. Which according to the first years we talked to, they stated you make a five minute video for one class and that is it. So truly no purpose as far as I can tell.

I heard about the e-learning stuff, but they didn't talk about it at our Q&A.

The purpose as far as we were told was to get familiar with the technology of the webcam. Which according to the first years we talked to, they stated you make a five minute video for one class and that is it. So truly no purpose as far as I can tell.

I heard about the e-learning stuff, but they didn't talk about it at our Q&A.

Word

ROCK VIDEO!:soexcited:
Or, would everyone prefer a bassoon solo? LOL!

Last edited:
So who has started on our assignments?

I hope I am not the only one that didn't type up a new document for the Turn It In assignment, I used a previously made study guide for Anatomy.

So who has started on our assignments?

I hope I am not the only one that didn't type up a new document for the Turn It In assignment, I used a previously made study guide for Anatomy.

:confused:

did you receive an e-mail detailing assignments? i don't believe i did unless you're talking about the computer competency.

:confused:

did you receive an e-mail detailing assignments? i don't believe i did unless you're talking about the computer competency.

Yes it is the computer competency assignments, those and the polo are all I know that needs to be done right now.

Is anyone else having problems getting their UF email to hook up to their iDevice (in my case the iPhone)... I have tried several times today and it isn't working.

Nevermind got it working!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Was there an e-mail sent out regarding the polo shirts? If I wouldn't have read about it on here, I would have completely forgotten about it :idea:

Was there an e-mail sent out regarding the polo shirts? If I wouldn't have read about it on here, I would have completely forgotten about it :idea:

I got it from the Student Affairs person at my campus. I don't know if every campus sent it out.

thank you! did the e-mail say what we would need the polos for? i'm trying to figure out how many to get.

thank you! did the e-mail say what we would need the polos for? i'm trying to figure out how many to get.

It didn't say what we need them for, but it did say the polos are true mens sizes so remember that when ordering them.

It didn't say what we need them for, but it did say the polos are true mens sizes so remember that when ordering them.

I believe we need the polo shirt for our off campus practicum. I am going to order one in each color. I usually wear an XS (female size), so I guess I will order the XS in the men size, which means it will be really big on me.

We are taking a road trip to Wisconsin in August right before orientation...should be fun. I haven't been to Toronto either...hope you have lots of fun!! Did you go alone or with family?

I went with family, it was a lot of fun...just got back to Florida a few days ago. Stopped in Niagara Falls for a few days and managed to drown my cell phone under the falls (had to get a new one yesterday). It was a great couple of weeks but it is good to be home. Now I have to start packing my things for the move to Gainesville. Only one more month until I call that city home, well, at least for four years. So much to do...so little time.

I believe we need the polo shirt for our off campus practicum. I am going to order one in each color. I usually wear an XS (female size), so I guess I will order the XS in the men size, which means it will be really big on me.

You will hardly ever wear them, I strongly suggest only ordering one.

I went with family, it was a lot of fun...just got back to Florida a few days ago. Stopped in Niagara Falls for a few days and managed to drown my cell phone under the falls (had to get a new one yesterday). It was a great couple of weeks but it is good to be home. Now I have to start packing my things for the move to Gainesville. Only one more month until I call that city home, well, at least for four years. So much to do...so little time.

That is unfortunate about your phone...it wasn't an iPhone was it? If so you aren't the only one on the board that has had bad luck travelling with the iPhone. Sounds like you had a good time otherwise. Hopefully our cross country trek goes as well, with a two year old it should be difficult...

You will hardly ever wear them, I strongly suggest only ordering one.

When will we be wearing these polos?

Thanks...I see your point, blue it is!:p

Great choice!

I can't figure out how to upload photos taken on the iphone directly to the "assignment" portion of the website. this means I can't complete the epocrates or response assignment. also, what exactly are we supposed to take a screenshot of in the response software? thanks. i'm on a mac btw.

I can't figure out how to upload photos taken on the iphone directly to the "assignment" portion of the website. this means I can't complete the epocrates or response assignment. also, what exactly are we supposed to take a screenshot of in the response software? thanks. i'm on a mac btw.

The response ware shot needs to look like the one on page 11 of the instruction booklet we got. As for how to do it on a Mac, I don't know. But I just connected my iPhone and went into the devices on my computer through the browse function then pulled up the picture that way (didn't upload photo to laptop).

The response ware shot needs to look like the one on page 11 of the instruction booklet we got. As for how to do it on a Mac, I don't know. But I just connected my iPhone and went into the devices on my computer through the browse function then pulled up the picture that way (didn't upload photo to laptop).

which instruction booklet are you referring to?

which instruction booklet are you referring to?

https://elearning2.courses.ufl.edu/...om Polling Software on iDevice - Instructions

It is on this page listed as Responseware student guide. If you can't get there through the link (which I had to log on to get) then it is under assignment 11 under the resourses in the computer orientation, called Installing Classroom Polling software on iDevice. The link for the responseware student guide is on that page. Hope that was more helpful.

https://elearning2.courses.ufl.edu/...om Polling Software on iDevice - Instructions

It is on this page listed as Responseware student guide. If you can't get there through the link (which I had to log on to get) then it is under assignment 11 under the resourses in the computer orientation, called Installing Classroom Polling software on iDevice. The link for the responseware student guide is on that page. Hope that was more helpful.

ah ok great! now i just need to figure out how to upload these images into the assignments from my iphone. thanks!

Nevermind....I had a question, but found the answer......

Do any mac users know how to create the required informal and business videos with the required .wmv extension using photobooth?

I can take a video using photobooth but the extension is .mov which is a quicktime file......all of my friends own macs and am not really sure where else to do the videos.....

Thanks for any help....

Have you been able to solve this problem? I am having the same problem, I have the screen shots in my photo library but can't seem to figure out how to get them from the iPod touch to my computer.

I have tried e-mailing the photos using the iPod touch, but nothing comes through on the other end (i.e. the emails aren't sent).....so frustrating.

Problem Solved.....I was just impatient I guess

Last edited:
I am really starting to wonder if I need to go through the hassle of partitioning the hard drive on my mac and loading Windows XP just to get through the list of computer competency requirements......

Current UF students with a Mac......

Have you every had any problems completing assignments using your mac while a student (after completing the list of computer competency assignments)?

I am really starting to wonder if I need to go through the hassle of partitioning the hard drive on my mac and loading Windows XP just to get through the list of computer competency requirements......

Current UF students with a Mac......

Have you every had any problems completing assignments using your mac while a student (after completing the list of computer competency assignments)?

+1 i'd like to know this as well.

Have you been able to solve this problem? I am having the same problem, I have the screen shots in my photo library but can't seem to figure out how to get them from the iPod touch to my computer.

I have tried e-mailing the photos using the iPod touch, but nothing comes through on the other end (i.e. the emails aren't sent).....so frustrating.

Problem Solved.....I was just impatient I guess

did you ever figure out how to upload these screen shots?

For the students who signed up for today Elluminate session, how did you guys like it? I thought it was pretty cool. I got all dressed up and whatnot thinking we were going to use the web cam and than we didn't. lol!

did you ever figure out how to upload these screen shots?

Once you setup your e-mail account on the iPod, you can e-mail each of the photos to your e-mail account and then submit them directly.

I had done that, but was just a tad bit impatient.....the e-mails were in my inbox about 30 minutes after I originally e-mailed them from my iPod.

I then re-named the files and submitted them.....

Have any of you checked your gradebook for our computer competency assignments?

I have 6 grades so far and 5 of the 6 grades have parentheses around them and I am not really sure what this means......I know one of them (the screenshot) has to be re-submitted for the third time, but I'm not really sure about the other four.

(I know it says that "grades written in parentheses are not included in grade calculation" but according to the resources section they are supposed to be included.....)

For the students who signed up for today Elluminate session, how did you guys like it? I thought it was pretty cool. I got all dressed up and whatnot thinking we were going to use the web cam and than we didn't. lol!

So, what is the elluminate session all about?

Hey guys quick questions to those who have been completing their assignment on line... How long did it take before a grade showed up? Also how do you get tho the actual Elluminate session the day you picked!? THANKS in advance...

Do any mac users know how to create the required informal and business videos with the required .wmv extension using photobooth?

I can take a video using photobooth but the extension is .mov which is a quicktime file......all of my friends own macs and am not really sure where else to do the videos.....

Thanks for any help....

hey, did you ever figure this out?

yeah....not really....I got tired of trying to track down friends with PC's or places like the library or Kinko's to use a PC for a few minutes....

I caved in and purchased Windows 7 (hasn't arrived yet) and will partition my hard drive using Bootcamp when it arrives.....(I really didn't want to spend more money, but it was worth it to keep my sanity)

If I could have just used my mac and safari (or firefox) I would be done with this list of computer requirements already (would have been done in a very short period of time actually).....it's a bit ridiculous to tell you the truth.....quicktime is freely available for both PC and Mac, so they should allow a .mov file

I should have added that there is a free program called media convert (?) that runs on a PC.....you could create a .mov file using Photobooth (or some other program) and then e-mail it to a PC computer and then use this program to convert it to a .wmv file.

However, there may be problems with the audio conversion. If you have watched any of the video submissions so far...there are some that have no sound (at least on my computer) and I suspect that these were created on a Mac.....

(Since I didn't want to deal with any of this hassle, I decided to buy Windows 7 to exchange one hassle for another.....see above posting)

yeah....not really....I got tired of trying to track down friends with PC's or places like the library or Kinko's to use a PC for a few minutes....

I caved in and purchased Windows 7 (hasn't arrived yet) and will partition my hard drive using Bootcamp when it arrives.....(I really didn't want to spend more money, but it was worth it to keep my sanity)

If I could have just used my mac and safari (or firefox) I would be done with this list of computer requirements already (would have been done in a very short period of time actually).....it's a bit ridiculous to tell you the truth.....quicktime is freely available for both PC and Mac, so they should allow a .mov file

yeah, i'd wish they'd get with the times. its causing a ton of frustration on my part.

yeah, i'd wish they'd get with the times. its causing a ton of frustration on my part.

Yeah...ordering our shirts by mail with a money order is a little archaic.
As far as the computer stuff goes, they just want to standardize everything, so I understand. It can be annoying, though.

so.....the saga (and frustration) continues. After purchasing and installing Windows 7 on my mac....the built in iSight camera doesn't work and I don't understand any of the forums where they discuss possible fixes for the problem.

Without the iSight camera, I can't make the movies using Windows Movie Maker....so I decided to buy a Logitech webcam / microphone headset combo set sold at Walmart for about $33 and the webcam works fine, but the microphone headset has male inputs for both the headphones and the microphone.....my mac does not have an input for the microphone......ugh :mad:

Have you been able to complete the videos? What about your headset microphone?

Looks like I will be paying Kinko's about 30 cents / minute in order to complete my Elluminate assignment......so ridiculous.....already dropped about $200 and a whole bunch of unnecessary time on this problem, which current students with a mac say is not a problem during school....

so.....the saga (and frustration) continues. After purchasing and installing Windows 7 on my mac....the built in iSight camera doesn't work and I don't understand any of the forums where they discuss possible fixes for the problem.

Without the iSight camera, I can't make the movies using Windows Movie Maker....so I decided to buy a Logitech webcam / microphone headset combo set sold at Walmart for about $33 and the webcam works fine, but the microphone headset has male inputs for both the headphones and the microphone.....my mac does not have an input for the microphone......ugh :mad:

Have you been able to complete the videos? What about your headset microphone?

Looks like I will be paying Kinko's about 30 cents / minute in order to complete my Elluminate assignment......so ridiculous.....already dropped about $200 and a whole bunch of unnecessary time on this problem, which current students with a mac say is not a problem during school....

i do not have a headset. i plan on recording my videos in photobooth and converting to .wmv format. the videos are the only portion of the computer competency assignments that i have not completed.