UF c/o 2014... It Begins!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i do not have a headset. i plan on recording my videos in photobooth and converting to .wmv format. the videos are the only portion of the computer competency assignments that i have not completed.

I thought we needed a microphone headset to complete the Elluminate session? Have you done the Elluminate session yet? If you have, how were you able to complete this without a headset?

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

so.....the saga (and frustration) continues. After purchasing and installing Windows 7 on my mac....the built in iSight camera doesn't work and I don't understand any of the forums where they discuss possible fixes for the problem.

Without the iSight camera, I can't make the movies using Windows Movie Maker....so I decided to buy a Logitech webcam / microphone headset combo set sold at Walmart for about $33 and the webcam works fine, but the microphone headset has male inputs for both the headphones and the microphone.....my mac does not have an input for the microphone......ugh :mad:

Have you been able to complete the videos? What about your headset microphone?

Looks like I will be paying Kinko's about 30 cents / minute in order to complete my Elluminate assignment......so ridiculous.....already dropped about $200 and a whole bunch of unnecessary time on this problem, which current students with a mac say is not a problem during school....

I also have a mac and my microphone/headset has the two inputs as well. I have this http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/sound-cards/audio-advantage-amigo-ii.aspx and it works pretty well.

I thought we needed a microphone headset to complete the Elluminate session? Have you done the Elluminate session yet? If you have, how were you able to complete this without a headset?

Thanks....

You'll need a USB headset if there are no mic inputs on the mac.

p.s. Why are we getting online pharmacy spam in our pharmd/phd listserv? What a joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll need a USB headset if there are no mic inputs on the mac.

p.s. Why are we getting online pharmacy spam in our pharmd/phd listserv? What a joke.

I was wondering the same thing. Of all places to get that kind of spam from, but from the college.... I wanted to block it, but realized that it would block everything!

Does anyone know a good Whole Disk Encryption software? I was looking at a list of them and there are so many. I just want to know which one you guys are using.

Truecrypt is pretty. Thats what I put on my comp. Its free

Hi All!

Welcome to the University of Florida College of Pharmacy!

I am a rising 2PD student who would like to sell my first year textbooks to a St. Petersburg 1PD student. That way we can meet on campus or somewhere local for the purchase.

Here is what I have:

• PHA 5451: Textbook of Biochemistry with Clinical Correlations (6th ed) by T. M. Devlin
  • PHA 5100: Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems (8th ed) by L. V. Allen, et al.
  • PHA 5433: Review of Organic Functional Groups: Introduction to Medicinal Organic Chemistry (4th ed) by T. L. Lemke
  • PHA 5560C: Pathophysiology (8th ed) by C. M. Porth and G. Matfin
  • PHA 5727: Introduction to Healthcare Delivery: A Primer for Pharmacists (4th ed) by R. L. McCarthy and K. W. Schafermeyer
  • PHA 5941C: Clinical Skills for Pharmacists: A Patient-Focused Approach (2nd ed) by K. J. Tietze
  • MCB 5252: Medical Microbiology (6th ed) by P. R. Murray, et al
All of the books are in excellent shape with some minor wear but absolutely no notes or highlighting. I am offering them all for $200 to the first St. Petersburg student who would like to purchase them. Please email me at wizzit(at)ymail.com if you are interested.

Thanks and best of luck during your first year as future pharmacists!

Hi All!

Welcome to the University of Florida College of Pharmacy!

I am a rising 2PD student who would like to sell my first year textbooks to a St. Petersburg 1PD student. That way we can meet on campus or somewhere local for the purchase.

Thanks and best of luck during your first year as future pharmacists!

I have heard a lot of conflicting information about the books, some people sayings we need them, most others saying we don't and the book list says they are all required... Can you give us some insight?

I have heard a lot of conflicting information about the books, some people sayings we need them, most others saying we don't and the book list says they are all required... Can you give us some insight?

Hey Jax! When we went to our QA, there were 3 or 4 students there all of whom said they never used the books. One girl bought them, but never used them. However, the biochemistry book issue has come up a few times, and I think I'm going to get that one. I've never taken biochemistry--my Mom has, and she said it was a little rough (and she's brilliant).

Last edited:

Honestly, it depends on the strength of your academic background and what style of studying you use. Some students never crack open their books while others find them a necessary resource.

I am a "better safe than sorry" kind of gal. I'd rather have all of the books on hand, even if I never use them, just in case. I find the best price on the books, so I'm not out that much money, and then resell the books to the new incoming class to buy my next batch of books. I usually find the best prices at Half.com, but sometimes Amazon has a surprising deal. Shop around. Also, you can split the cost and ownership of the books between yourself and a roommate or friend in your class to save money.

If you are absolutely bound and determined not to buy all of the books, I would definitely recommend that you at least have access to the book for Biochemistry. That class heavily depends on material from the Clinical Correlates and the Chapter Questions from the book in addition to the lectures.

Also, IPHC has regular quizzes that may include questions about the readings from "Introduction to Healthcare Delivery: A Primer for Pharmacists." The Medical Microbiology class has assigned readings that are covered on the test, but not everyone did the reading assignments. Every once in a great while, there are readings for the Dosage Forms class in "Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems."

In addition, if you are weak in a particular subject area, be sure to buy the corresponding book (e.g. Anatomy and Physiology, buy the Pathophysiology book; Chemistry, buy the Medicinal Chemistry book; Microbiology, buy the Medical Microbiology book, etc.)

Finally, be aware that the courses are modified and updated each year, so their requirements may change and my advice may no longer be accurate to your needs.

I know this was a long winded answer but it all boils down to, "do whatever you are comfortable with." I hope this helps! Best of luck!

FYI: I recently started a Facebook page called the 1PD UF COP Survival Guide. This is a site where UF pharmacy students can post their advice or questions on how to survive the first year of pharmacy school. Experienced students can reveal any pitfalls and hurdles that 1PDs should be aware of, while 1PDs can voice their questions and concerns. I hope that together we can build a resource that will help current and future 1PD students not just survive but thrive during their first year of this challenging program. Thank you for your participation!

Here is the link:
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=253&uid=141395529213653#!/group.php?gid=141395529213653&ref=mf

now that this cycle is over and that we're about to start school, i just wanted to congratulate all of the UF matriculants and thank all of the current pharm students who chimed in (plus Jackie for setting up the CPR class/being very knowledgable about the computer competency requirements). good luck to all of you and see you at orientation!

Is anyone going to the welcome back party in Jacksonville?

Last edited:
Well between the numerous facebook groups and discussion forums on e-learning dedicating to answering pharmacy questions I believe this forum is coming to an end. Thanks everyone for all the good advice over the past couple of months and I look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Well between the numerous facebook groups and discussion forums on e-learning dedicating to answering pharmacy questions I believe this forum is coming to an end. Thanks everyone for all the good advice over the past couple of months and I look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Good luck in pharm school everyone. Looking forward to meeting everyone in person. I believe this will be an amazing life changing experience. See you all soon!

Is anyone going to the welcome back party in Jacksonville?

I'm not...although I may go to next year's when I've met everyone. My friend is not going either, we're just going to lay low for this one :)

Unless your like me and like to have your books, in which case you should get the books. I recommend the following.

• PHA 5451: Textbook of Biochemistry with Clinical Correlations (6th ed) by T. M. Devlin :You will need this for the clinical correlates for biochem. About 30% of the test comes from this. Really though you can either buy the book with a friend or usually someone posts a scan of these.
  • PHA 5100: Ansel's Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems (8th ed) by L. V. Allen, et al.
  • You have to read some of this for a few of the tests. You could get away with not buying it though, just steal it off someone else.
  • PHA 5433: Review of Organic Functional Groups: Introduction to Medicinal Organic Chemistry (4th ed) by T. L. Lemke
  • Don't get it.
  • PHA 5560C: Pathophysiology (8th ed) by C. M. Porth and G. Matfin
  • I don't remember ever needing to read this book. The will "assign" readings that no one ever really tests you on. It's a pretty good book though.
  • PHA 5727: Introduction to Healthcare Delivery: A Primer for Pharmacists (4th ed) by R. L. McCarthy and K. W. Schafermeyer
  • PHA 5941C: Clinical Skills for Pharmacists: A Patient-Focused Approach (2nd ed) by K. J. Tietze
  • I remember buying this last minute because I realized I needed it for 1 assignment.
  • MCB 5252: Medical Microbiology (6th ed) by P. R. Murray, et al
  • I didn't buy this, but I sort of wish I had.
Also, remember to check the UF Health Science Library's ebooks section under "accesspharmacy". There are a bunch of textbooks there that you can view online, so if it's there, don't buy it.

Good luck in pharm school everyone. Looking forward to meeting everyone in person. I believe this will be an amazing life changing experience. See you all soon!
Indeed it will change your life. 3 months from now, your friends now will be wondering where you are. When you "drive home" from a late outing you'll accidentally end up at Shands Hospital because hey, you practically live there. And you'll know more than 90% of people about how diseases work etc. You will also start questioning the notion that you are "smart" because everyone around you will either be as smart as you or smarter.

It's a lot of fun though. Make sure to get to know your classmates and don't just hole yourself up in a room somewhere and just study. You will miss a lot of stuff if you aren't talking to your classmates and teaching/learning from each other.

The reason you need to use the IE browser is because some lectures wont load in Firefox,etc.

That being said download Google Crome as you will need it for One class. Dr Mobley has a link of his notes that seem to prefer the Chrome browser.

Youll need to buy/borrow the Intro to Healthcare book. Micro reading is required but Ive heard of students who do well without it. I used my Pathophysiology book to look up some stuff. Biochemistry is good to have because he has test questions based of some reading.

That being said there are lots of "notes on the books" that tend to fly around on the message boards right before an exam.

Im at the Jax campus and have an extra Healthcare book. Ill be at orienation next week volunteering so for $20 you can have it to use/share. Then just sell it on next year. ;)