UF Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ageldred

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is.

I hope this gets as lively as the manilla envelope thread. We rocked that one.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I'd post something for old time's sake (The Manilla envelope). Anyway, I just wanted to say that I believe "Manilla" should be spelled "Manila." But I still liked that old thread anyway...misspelling and all.

Pharmacy school is killing me. Today Elluminate almost pushed me over the edge... not really... but tonight I refused to study even though there is that big PBD test tomorrow night :scared:

Instead I drank good wine and watched the Top Chef finale... and then I talked to an old friend who is considering pharmacy school and told her how hard it was... she still wants to go though.

My Elluminate was Monday night. It was awful. I am getting ready to drive to campus for the test. I hope I do ok, there is just so much stuff!!

I miss our lively misspelled manila envelope discussions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I miss the old discussions too. We all had such hope for the future and didn't have to worry about horrible Hughes's exam :p . Good luck on the biochem exam!

So far Dr. Palmieri and Dr. Hughes have taken over different parts of what I believe Dr. Sullivan used to teach. Dr. Palmieri gave a pretty easy first exam IMO, but Dr. Hughes' test for Exam II seemed a bit tricky,--but in comparison to prior years' exams, it was not as hard IMO because he gave all multiple choice questions. Also, it seemed like there were questions on the exam that weren't covered in the lecture...hmmmm

Hi everyone!

I'm applying to UF and am hoping to get accepted to the Orlando campus. If this happens, I'm considering commuting (3.5 hours away). I'm just wondering how often you're actually on campus per week. Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I'm applying to UF and am hoping to get accepted to the Orlando campus. If this happens, I'm considering commuting (3.5 hours away). I'm just wondering how often you're actually on campus per week. Thanks!

I am not sure I would go as far as calling that place a campus...

Hi everyone!

I would NOT recommend commuting 3.5 hours away. I think only an hour tops per commute would be recommended.....there are some students in my class that do one hour and that and it still takes a toll on them!

We are on campus about 2 times a week this semester, but it has been up to 4 times a week before. The frequency increases in the 3rd year to about every day from my casual glance at the schedule. Also you may have meetings to come for outside of those 2 times a week with a faculty advisor, or doing something for practicum etc. We had a student that was trying to commute from Ocala to Jax, (about 2 hrs each way) but he moved here after about two weeks because it was too much. And usually we are only on campus for 1-3 hours at a time max, so that would not be worth the trip in my opinion. And if you're driving 7 hours in 1 day....wow that's a lot of wear and tear on your car not to mention the cost of gas and that's a lot of time to waste not being able to study. I would recommend moving to the Orlando area if you get in to that campus.

So far Dr. Palmieri and Dr. Hughes have taken over different parts of what I believe Dr. Sullivan used to teach. Dr. Palmieri gave a pretty easy first exam IMO, but Dr. Hughes' test for Exam II seemed a bit tricky,--but in comparison to prior years' exams, it was not as hard IMO because he gave all multiple choice questions. Also, it seemed like there were questions on the exam that weren't covered in the lecture...hmmmm

I want to triturate Dr. Hughes' sphenoid with a Louisville pestle.

ok no not really. It just makes me feel better to say it. Party like a rockstar you *******! :love:

Where have you been ForcedEntry? Do you study instead of SDN? I try to do anything to procrastinate ;) You used to comment on nearly every thread. Those kids need another sarcastic opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
no mention of favorite rectal rockets this entire semester...by anyone...can you elaborate?

Hey guys, sorry to ask on your class thread, but no one really replied to me on the UF pre-pharm thread. I'm interviewing at the Jacksonville campus on Apr. 25, and from what I hear, they don't really interview very many people, so I'm thinking I've got a good shot of getting in. Anyway, my question is, how many hours do you end up spending on campus each week as a distance student? I'm planning on visiting Jax in a few weeks just to see what it's like. Any other info about the city and the Jax distance campus would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also, one more thing... is the UF program really focused on research or clinical pharmacy at all? Just asking because I heard from some current students there that they want students who want to do research.

Hey guys, sorry to ask on your class thread, but no one really replied to me on the UF pre-pharm thread. I'm interviewing at the Jacksonville campus on Apr. 25, and from what I hear, they don't really interview very many people, so I'm thinking I've got a good shot of getting in.

They usually do three rounds of interviews (Mar, Apr, sometime in the summer), and yes, as long as you don't horribly screw up the interview, you are golden. They just want to see if a person actually exists behind the stats. Be unique and don't stress it.

Anyway, my question is, how many hours do you end up spending on campus each week as a distance student? I'm planning on visiting Jax in a few weeks just to see what it's like. Any other info about the city and the Jax distance campus would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Typically two to three times a week for the first semester. Sometimes for an hour or two, sometimes for half the day, and rarely the full day. The Jax campus is in the hood. The Orlando campus is in BFE. The STP campus is 3 miles from the beach.

Also, one more thing... is the UF program really focused on research or clinical pharmacy at all? Just asking because I heard from some current students there that they want students who want to do research.

The UF program will prepare you for any field. A good analogy to the learning process here is to open your mouth, stick it on a fire hydrant, and take a sip of water.

If you need more specifics, send an email to ageldred. She goes to the Jax campus. I'm at the beach :smuggrin:

thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it.

I'll be a student tour guide at that interview session. Where do you live now?

Just want to say hi to my fellow 2011 class. Hope you guys are enjoying your summer vacation. What is everybody doing for the summer? You probably think I'm a nerd for saying this, but I actually miss school :oops:

Hi, guys!

I will be joining some of you at the Orlando campus this August, and this might be off-topic (sorry).

I've been looking for places to live in Apopka/Ocoee/Altamonte Springs area. It's been hard looking for a place when you don't know exactly how much your budget should be.
So I ask all of you who have been through it, how much of the student loans/financial aid did UF give for housing?

This information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, guys!

I will be joining some of you at the Orlando campus this August, and this might be off-topic (sorry).

I've been looking for places to live in Apopka/Ocoee/Altamonte Springs area. It's been hard looking for a place when you don't know exactly how much your budget should be.
So I ask all of you who have been through it, how much of the student loans/financial aid did UF give for housing?

I've been looking for the same information but I couldn't find what I needed on UF's website. Apparently, the financial aid will come out late July/early August but it would be nice to have an idea for rental purposes.

Hi, guys!

I have a BS degree so I was able to borrow more than 20,000 last year. If you don't have a BS degree then your first year of pharmacy school is still considered undergraduate. ( I know it's weird!!!) If that's the case, I'm afraid you won't be able to borrow much from school, unless you try private loan.
I don't know if you could get into E-learning yet, but there is a discussing board reserved for housing and roommate posting for UF pharm students. That may help.

hello guys, I have no intention of invading this thread but I was hoping to get some information on your first year of pharmacy school. First off, how essential are the textbooks? Also, how often were the webcam and headset used during the first year of the pharmacy program (and does this vary depending on the campus you are attending)? Finally, for those who have tried, how difficult is it to get an intern position after being issued the license?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!