UF Gainesville review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docscience

AZCOM (Junior Member)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed at UF-Gainesville two weeks ago. Here is my 2 cents scutwork.com style:

Schedule: With the new rules, every program is going to be a bit "easier" with no overnight calls/etc. But the residents here seemed a bit overworked and hectic. I can't comment much more on the schedule as they said they would definitely follow the new guidelines. I think schedules are a moot point as they are going to be very different when we are interns.

Teaching: I went to one morning report, and it was good. What else can an interviewee pick up at a one day interview? The residents were all competent and presented well. The chief led the discussion and attendings piped in with good comments.

Atmosphere: First the residents...they were all really laid back and fun. We went out to dinner the night before and they told stories of other interviewees, each other, and other fun stuff. A downside for me is the fact that it is in Gainesville. Lots of football spirit and coeds though. However, it seems to be a very small town with little to do except participate in the college festivities/cultural programs thrown by the university/etc. The weather is great Florida weather, though it does get fairly cold lows in the winter. At the end of the program, there was a presentation on Gainesville and all the fun things to do...there is tailgaiting, a nice park, and you are 2 hrs from orlando, tampa, and jacksonville.

Conclusion: I think it is a top-mid tier program with great teaching. They have a new cancer building/ER (a bit of a walk to admit new pts). They also have a new VA opening. If you are looking for a guaranteed fellowship within the system, look no further than UF-Gainesville...everyone seems to get the hookup. Research is abundant.

I hope you guys get a better feel for the program through this review. Please IM if I can be of any other help.

Also, please review more programs so we can all be a bit of a help to each other!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at UF-Gainesville two weeks ago. Here is my 2 cents scutwork.com style:

Schedule: With the new rules, every program is going to be a bit "easier" with no overnight calls/etc. But the residents here seemed a bit overworked and hectic. I can't comment much more on the schedule as they said they would definitely follow the new guidelines. I think schedules are a moot point as they are going to be very different when we are interns.

Teaching: I went to one morning report, and it was good. What else can an interviewee pick up at a one day interview? The residents were all competent and presented well. The chief led the discussion and attendings piped in with good comments.

Atmosphere: First the residents...they were all really laid back and fun. We went out to dinner the night before and they told stories of other interviewees, each other, and other fun stuff. A downside for me is the fact that it is in Gainesville. Lots of football spirit and coeds though. However, it seems to be a very small town with little to do except participate in the college festivities/cultural programs thrown by the university/etc. The weather is great Florida weather, though it does get fairly cold lows in the winter. At the end of the program, there was a presentation on Gainesville and all the fun things to do...there is tailgaiting, a nice park, and you are 2 hrs from orlando, tampa, and jacksonville.

Conclusion: I think it is a top-mid tier program with great teaching. They have a new cancer building/ER (a bit of a walk to admit new pts). They also have a new VA opening. If you are looking for a guaranteed fellowship within the system, look no further than UF-Gainesville...everyone seems to get the hookup. Research is abundant.

I hope you guys get a better feel for the program through this review. Please IM if I can be of any other help.

Also, please review more programs so we can all be a bit of a help to each other!

Thanks for starting the review. Im an intern here, so anyone can personal message me for any specific questions. You are right, there is a lot of teaching here, I respect the residents and they seem to be good products of the training. Facilities are modern, clean, and accessible. The most hectic schedules would be GI/Liver service, Cardiology, and Heme/Onc where you admit daily. Chief's are responsive to suggestions, and several changes have already been made at our requests. Hope you all consider our program highly.