1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UF is not THAT cheap anymore.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by trukini, Dec 3, 2008.

1. trukini

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I hear a lot of go to UF is the cheapest for FL residents. But really, the estimated debt is almost 200K. Still cheaper than say Nova, Temple, Pitts, and others but it is not what it used to be. Considering you have to spend four years in a one-dimensional repetitive town, the price advantage is not as obvious as it used to be.
    I know it is a great college city and all the other great stuff about sports and outdoors... still it is not match to the big cities, period. and for many, it is the major issue with the school..

Do you still see it as the obvious choice among: Nova, Pitts, Temple, Tufts and NYU?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Short answer - Yes

4. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

I have friends that go to UF (undergrad) and pay $400/month for their apt!!! I used to live in SD and I couldn't find anything under $800 (hell hole). Now I live in Tampa and there isn't anything under $650 that's decent. You are really going to pay for a better city..if I get into UF, that's an easy YES!

5. trukini

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    400?!

Unless you want to live 4 years in a crappy place full of frat guys screaming all night for every new hair they find in their bodies...

I have lived in Gainesville. for 2 years. I know.

I know it is cheaper than the other cities. But as stated by the school and probably right the average debt will be close to 200K. Lets keep the big picture in mind. Some people might be more frugal and make it with less.. or the inverse... but 200K is avg.

Pitts and Nova are about 260K.... I feel like those 60k are not such a big reward compared to the opportunity of living in a better city...

Do you see my point?