UF IS vs UPenn OOS vs Tufts OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sdcarter1210

Reaction score
Just curious is anyone has opinions! Pretty certain on UF

Members don't see this ad.

I really can’t think of any reasons to go to Penn or Tufts over UF since it’s your in state. I’m not one of the people in the “go to the cheapest school” camp when it’s pretty close, or you can really justify it being a good chunk of money. But this is one of the most drastic I’ve ever seen. The total cost of attendance for UF IS is around $115,000. For Penn OOS it’s Round $360,000 if you borrow everything. If you don’t, you can get by with just over $300,000. Still, you’re going to be borrowing around $200,000 extra AT BEST before interest to go to Penn, and it’s about the same at Tufts.

I love Penn. I can’t see myself at any other school and there are a lot of personal reasons that led me to come here. For example, my entire family is 30 minutes away or less. My girlfriend goes to school in philly and we live together now. We’ve been together for five years. They’d all kill me if they saw this, but: I love them all, but I don’t $200,000 love them. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Like said above, would definitely say UF as well due to tuition. All three are amazing schools, but not having as large of a debt burden will make a huge difference—take it from someone going to a pricey school! I love my school but UF was my instate as well and if I would’ve gotten in, I would’ve went there in a heartbeat. Spent ~3ish years volunteering at UF and the hospitals are absolutely gorgeous. Also love the way their program is set up. I have friends in second year right now getting ready to do their first live surgery and they’ll also be starting clinics in summer.

So I’m a nutshell, you’re going to get as great of an education as you would at Tufts or Penn, so would rec saving yourself a good amount of money and going to UF. Having less of a debt burden will open up a lot more opportunities in the future!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same camp as @ajs513

I'm at Tufts predominantly because of my husband's job, and because I was OOS everywhere (NH). I love it and I'm happy here, but if I could have applied to cheaper schools, I would have.

Go to UF, you'll have a blast and will be able to have a life afterwards.

Congrats!

They’d all kill me if they saw this, but: I love them all, but I don’t $200,000 love them.
I think my family would kill me (or die themselves) if I did love them $200,000 more, because they'd be the ones writing $350,000+ in checks over the next 30 years while I bum around trying to fix broken kittens lol