UF Masters of Medical science -- good route to take to get into an MD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CubanGatorGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from the Univeristy of Florida in August of 2015 with a BS in Nutrional Sciences. Between then and now I have been retaking a few courses to boost my GPA because my goal was to go to a DO school because I had a horrible GPA (when I graduated it was sGPA 3.0 cGPA 2.9). I am starting to not like the idea of going to a DO school due to the fact that so many doors close as a DO student because of the natural bias towards MDs. Now I want to go to an MD and am trying to find ways to correct my mistakes as a undergrad. I have been looking at Master's programs and I have come across a non-thesis masters of medical science at UF.

Would this be a good route to take to get into an MD program? The program is fairly new but it is essentially lots of microbiology courses. The idea is to really focus and get a high graduate GPA but I am not sure if with an undergrad GPA like mine if it's even worth it? Do schools combine the two or are they considered separate GPAs?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

They can. But your GPA is really low. Even if you get a 4.0 MD schools will be tough. Especially since the home institution is quite competitive. I would go DO.

I did something similar. Had a 3.3 Went to a MS in Medical Science, got a 3.9, made a 32 on the MCAT...and had to apply twice. Only MD school I got in was the program where I got my MS. Which I was obviously thrilled with, but taking a MS won't make you a shoe in. Especially with that undergrad GPA. I think you would waste a lot of time and money. Retake courses and apply DO. Don't worry about the bias stuff, that's only an issue if you let it become one. If your motivated and work hard, things will work out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep at it then.

And in case anyone looks at this thread in the future, UF has an online non-thesis masters of medical science program. It is fairly new.

Perhaps get into a Master's program that you can extend into a PhD program. This will give you plenty of opportunity to re-establish a graduate GPA and if it takes you a couple of years to get into medical school, you will at least have a Masters or a PhD to show for it.

If you are really gunning for MD, I would go the route of an SMP. A non-thesis masters will do very little to help your cause, as the difficulty of programs like this vary dramatically (ie. some can be incredibly easy and thus unimpressive). SMP's are of known, measurable difficulty because you are being pitted against current M1s in real medical school classes. But be careful, a non-stellar performance (you need to be notably above average) in an SMP will sink your application chances at both MD and DO.

May I suggest the USF in class SMP. I know many successful Florida applicants who used it. You could also look into the more prestigious (but more competitive) SMPs like Columbia, Hopkins, Gtown, or even ones like tulane and Cincinnati.

Have you taken the MCAT?

Perhaps get into a Master's program that you can extend into a PhD program. This will give you plenty of opportunity to re-establish a graduate GPA and if it takes you a couple of years to get into medical school, you will at least have a Masters or a PhD to show for it.
Graduate grades do not remediate a weak undergraduate performance (for MD schools).
DO schools may view this differently.
SMP's are viewed somewhat more akin to a post-bac, even though the grades are not averaged into undergrad scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Graduate grades do not remediate a weak undergraduate performance (for MD schools).
DO schools may view this differently.
SMP's are viewed somewhat more akin to a post-bac, even though the grades are not averaged into undergrad scores.

Between an SMP and undergraduate post bac classes, which one would be preferred?

OP, that SMP is not as well known as some others so there are many schools not familiar with it. I heard the Florida schools are more familiar with that one so you'd def have some luck with Fl schools. If you're willing to do an SMP why not pursue one of the more well known ones with better linkage?

Also try to get your cGPA and sGPA above a 3.0 before you start any SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Between an SMP and undergraduate post bac classes, which one would be preferred?
If the gpa is below usual screening points (e.g. <3.0, 3.1 or 3.2) a post bac can do double duty. It will enhance the undergrad gpa, and contribute to a positive trend. Some SMP's still have cache, though. A strong performance at one of these may more directly influence historically receptive schools.

Reactions: 2 users
I lean towards SMPs because they mimic med school coursework, and if given at a med school, the Faculty get to know you and this helps you slip in the back door. SMPs are auditions for med school, so to speak.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep at it then.

And in case anyone looks at this thread in the future, UF has an online non-thesis masters of medical science program. It is fairly new.

An online non-thesis masters will do absolutely 0 for your medical school application. Honestly I think your only realistic chance is to do grade lelacement and go DO. Your extreme long shot for MD will include: 1. Taking th MCAT and killing it. Like 515+. And then doing a true SMP and killing that too.

Don't just jump into an SMP because if you do poorly then you are SOL for DO and MD. Make sure you get the MCAT score first and then think about the SMP. SMPs are definitely not a walk in the park.