UF of FSU for pre vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm a senior in high school right now and am looking to attend NCSU, UGA, UF, or FSU in the fall. I've already been accepted into my desired majors and programs at FSU and UF, but have not received decisions from UGA or NCSU. If I get accepted to UGA, I will most likely be attending there in the fall, but FSU and UF are tied for second. Which pre-vet program is better?
I figured UF's program would be ahead of FSU because there is a vet school at UF.
If anyone could give me any insight or information on any of this I'd appreciate it.
Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

For pre-vet stuff, just go where you'll enjoy yourself the most, where you think you'll succeed best, and if applicable, where is cheapest.
I went to Purdue for my undergrad and the biggest benefit I had was being able to volunteer in their teaching hospital.

For pre-vet stuff, just go where you'll enjoy yourself the most, where you think you'll succeed best, and if applicable, where is cheapest.
I went to Purdue for my undergrad and the biggest benefit I had was being able to volunteer in their teaching hospital.
I really love both the schools which is why I'm finding it so hard to narrow it down. I was thinking UF was a better choice because of the teaching hospital and vet school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really love both the schools which is why I'm finding it so hard to narrow it down. I was thinking UF was a better choice because of the teaching hospital and vet school.
It doesn't matter. At UF, you'll also be competing with a bunch of pre-vet students for the same opportunities. Undergrad is what you make of it.

Save money and do well. Stay in-state to save said money. There is no school with the 'best' pre-vet program, since all a "pre-vet program" is would be the pre-reqs we have to take. Schools with animal science/zoology majors will have more animal-related opportunities (anatomy, nutrition, farms, etc). Schools without those programs will probably still have your pre-reqs, but you might need to take nutrition online if the vet schools you apply to require it. That's my "Which undergrad school is best?" spiel, lol.

It's also worth noting that, unless you're going somewhere like Texas A&M that specifically forbids this, community colleges are great for getting the bulk of your freshman/sophomore level courses out of the way easily and cheaply. So long as you do well in these classes, I can't imagine any vet school admissions committee looking down on your application because you were smart enough to save money.

Reactions: 1 user
It's also worth noting that, unless you're going somewhere like Texas A&M that specifically forbids this, community colleges are great for getting the bulk of your freshman/sophomore level courses out of the way easily and cheaply. So long as you do well in these classes, I can't imagine any vet school admissions committee looking down on your application because you were smart enough to save money.

From my own experience, A&M does not forbid taking many classes through a community college. On their website they make a distinction for the few courses that do need to be taken at a four year school like Biochem and Microbio, among others (however, the requirements do seem to change a bit each year).

I took 25 credits of prereqs (including Organic Chem and Physics) through a comm college in Texas, and was accepted at A&M this cycle (granted I had already earned a BA from a private uni). Maybe there is a limit on the number of CC classes you can take of which I'm not aware, but 25 credits doesn't seem like a minimal number to me. The only school I applied to (erroneously, I'll admit) that didn't accept the Organic CC credit was Oklahoma.

Obviously, applicants should check with their schools specifically before assuming the credits will be accepted. I've talked to a few people who have run into trouble before because of that. That said, A&M does take CC credit - you just have to be careful about which courses.

Yep, you're right. I guess I just remembered seeing that several of the prereqs I'd taken wouldn't qualify and sort of wrote the whole thing off. It doesn't appear that any school has a problem with non-science electives coming from a community college, at least not from a quick glance at the AAVMC prereq chart.

Yep, you're right. I guess I just remembered seeing that several of the prereqs I'd taken wouldn't qualify and sort of wrote the whole thing off. It doesn't appear that any school has a problem with non-science electives coming from a community college, at least not from a quick glance at the AAVMC prereq chart.

Yeah, I kind of did the opposite thing... assumed that because A&M allowed Orgo from a cc that OK would too. Dunno how I missed that one, but I did, so that's going to be a major piece of advice I give to new prevets in the future. Fortunately it didn't really affect me due to other options, but would have been quite a bummer if it had.

I agree with most everyone go where you will enjoy and is the cheapest and know it is early to be deciding on a vet school but if Florida is at the top of your list (I assume it is your IS based on your undergrad selections) then you may want to look at the pre reqs for FL. I believe they require some animal science classes for acceptance or did several years ago. If FSU does not have these can you get them via on line or go somewhere that you can get them.

I say definitely go for what is cheapest it's better to start saving money in undergrad because vet school is going to cost a fortune and if they are around the same price for you then choose the one you think you will be happiest at. Also as others say, attending a school with a vet school for undergrad does not give you any more of an advantage compared to someone who attended a school without a vet school. For me personally I choose to attend UCF because I loved the campus and received the most in scholarships from them compared to FSU and UF. I didn't have any issues trying to get veterinary or research experience and I am happy to say that I have been accepted to UF CVM for the fall. The only downfall was I have to take animal science and nutrition through another institution online because UCF doesn't offer them, but it really isn't a big deal.