UF or Miami????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXchick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, especially Florida kids. I need your help. I was accepted to UM back in April and have been preparing to go there, but got a phone call today from UF with an acceptance. Is it possible to switch this late? What do you all think? Please give me advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can switch now. Personally I think that UF is the better school (better facilities and professors) but you probably will get better clinical training at UM's Jackson Memorial Hospital. Cost however is a huge difference and I don't think that the extra money for UM is justified one bit. I would withdraw from UM and go to UF if I were you.

You can switch all the way up to the first day of orientation. Once you attend orientation, you are obligated to go to that school. Personally, I think UM is the better school in terms of clinical experience, which is what I value the most. You have to decide what is the best school for you. It seems to me that you already made that choice since you are questioning if it is too late to switch. If you want to go to UF please withdraw from UM as soon as you can. Alot of people are dying to get into UM, and they want to hear from them as soon as possible. Good luck with whatever decision you make. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds to me like it comes down to a money issue. For me, it would be hard to justify spending a lot of more money on one particular school over another and would choose UF. But if my financial situation were different and money were no object, I'd probably go to Miami.

This is a tough decision. However, I think that there are several factors you must consider. In terms of money, UF is more appealing. Both schools have great faculty. At UM you will have tremendous clinical exposure that you simply cannot get at Shands. I think the question might boil down to a quality of life issue. Gainseville and Miami are VERY different locations. Where do you think you will be the happiest? Do you want to live in a large city or a college town? Either way, you can't make a wrong decision. Both schools are great. congratulations :clap:

Go to UF with meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

But seriously, you can't beat the money issue, and I think UF has a slight edge over UM as far as reputation goes. (no flames, please ;)) It is true that the clinical experience at Miami is good....but it's still good at Shands, and I don't think I can say that a little better clinical exp is worth 100K PLUS interest....try to look into the future. The cost of living is also cheaper at UF.

Originally, UM was my number one choice because my family would only be an hour away, but looking back, if I got into both schools, I would still choose UF b/c of the money factor.

I never visited UM, but I can tell you that UF had the happiest students out of all the schools I visited. They have all these pluses like that brain institute, a unique curriculum that is VERY responsive to student requests, and they have a cooperative class. Also, if it means anything to you, they just redid the lecture halls. ;) Everyone was so nice that I met during my interviews, and I'm not just talking about tour guides....my student host was awesome (we still talk), my big sib already contacted me and offered to give me her old tests so I don't have to buy them, and lots of people from the class of 2006 have sent me emails just to say hi! I'm not used to seeing everyone so happy!

Just come to UF with me! It'll be fun! :D There are still people looking for roommates and tons of brand new apartments to choose form (and they are SO cheap!)

I just got in about 2 weeks ago, and it was so easy to make arrangements for everything.....except for that biochem class I'm starting next week in NY for UF....don't choose UF if you don't have that biochem requirement! :rolleyes: But I still love UF and I'm so excited to go in August.

You can PM me if you have any questions on how to get settled in fast :) I already got an apartment, and I know someone is trying to release her one bedroom apartment right now..and did I mention it's walking distance to class? No parking and no tickets! Sweet! :D I'm living in the same complex--williamsburg village.

Happy choosing & congrats!

Foxy

Foxy: breathe girl!:p

Thanks everyone for your help. I am definetely going to UF, and am way excited. I have a lot of paperwork and phone calling to do, but it will be worth it to go to my number 1 choice school! Again, thanks for everyone's help and I'll see some of you in August!

Originally posted by TXchick
Thanks everyone for your help. I am definetely going to UF, and am way excited. I have a lot of paperwork and phone calling to do, but it will be worth it to go to my number 1 choice school! Again, thanks for everyone's help and I'll see some of you in August!

good choice ;)

The first thing you should do is email denise flinchum from the admissions office to be added to the roommate email list. Buddy (from SDN) was nice enough to email me all of the emails I missed, so if you PM me your email, I'll pass on the favor. ;)

And don't worry, I haven't sent back one form yet (except for accepting the acceptance offer).

PM me if you need anything. :)

Foxy

p.s. here's Denise's email: [email protected]