UF or USF??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madhatter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to chose where would you rather go?? who has the nicest med students, and where would you get the best education, while still having a run time???

Members don't see this ad.

do a search because there are a few threads already discussing this topic

i think the general consensus on SDN at least is that USF has a more laid back and less competitive atmosphere

Madhatter said:
If you had to chose where would you rather go?? who has the nicest med students, and where would you get the best education, while still having a run time???

If your planning to go to medical school in 2008, choose USF. Less competition would be great at UF.

Members don't see this ad :)
DelAGator said:
If your planning to go to medical school in 2008, choose USF. Less competition would be great at UF.

Less competition will not be happening anytime soon. UF is full of competition, both to get into the med school and also once you're in the med school.

DelAGator said:
agreed!

and i love ur av.

Madhatter said:

I picked UF. I think you will find nice students at both schools. I'm not there yet, but I'm not too concerned about the "competition" factor. I think you will find some competition at any med school. More at UF than USF? Maybe, but it's not like UF is full of gunners or anything. Although that is apparently its reputation over in Tampa.

Where will you get the best education? Who knows? Both are good schools and you will get out what you put in. The USFers really seem to like their clinical years, but I've also read a few threads about administration issues with the preclinical years. (do a search, I know nothing about it) UF went out of their way to tell us interviewees how high their Step I scores are. Does that mean it's a better school? Probably not. UF probably has a slightly better national reputation, but that doesn't mean it's deserved or that reputation is important.

I think you will have a fun time at either school. (or a "run" time, if that's what you are into)

Probably the only meaningful way to choose between them is whether you would rather be in Tampa or Gainesville.

Competition is intense at either school. The USF atmosphere here is laid back and we all get along with each other well enough - work hard and play hard, cliched but I think it sums up the atmosphere pretty well. Maybe the competitive atmosphere is more pronounced at UF, but I don't know.

Still...make no mistake: once the high test averages come back, it's a different story :laugh:

Atmosphere word count: 3 (or 4 ;) )