UF Orlando ...roomate? apartment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hansoness

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be going to to the UF orlando campus this fall and I was wondering if anybody knew of any safe apartments around the area...I am currently not in Florida and its hard to tell just by looking at what they tell you on places like apartment ratings... Also, roomate or no? I always hear horror stories about people and their roomates...so I just wanted to get some input.. I don't know anybody going to UF so, I would have to rely on posting for a roomate on the uf cop orland website...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm going to the Gainesville campus in August but right now I live in Orlando. The UF campus here is actually in Apopka so you have a big choice of what area of Orlando you want to live in. I really recommend looking at archstone properties. I live in archstone altamonte now and have had a really great experience and trust me I'm picky after four years of crappy college apartments at FSU!

Do not pick any apartment that will make you take I-4 for more than a few miles if you can help it. Unless you're good at reading a couple of chapters while you drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
HEy - I am going to the Orlando campus too and I will be living in Ocoee. It's about 20 mins to the campus. At my interview I asked a lot of the current students and they all suggested to live in that area.

More specifically I am living in Villa Tuscany Apartments. Other nice complexes I looked at closely that are in the same area are Hawthorne Groves(one, 2, 3 bedroom apts) and Vizcaya Lakes (most reasonable- only one and 2 bedroom apts).

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to personal message me!

I'll be going to to the UF orlando campus this fall and I was wondering if anybody knew of any safe apartments around the area...I am currently not in Florida and its hard to tell just by looking at what they tell you on places like apartment ratings... Also, roomate or no? I always hear horror stories about people and their roomates...so I just wanted to get some input.. I don't know anybody going to UF so, I would have to rely on posting for a roomate on the uf cop orland website...:confused:

Also- on the roommate thing--- I've have horrible horror years with randon roommates- but that was in Gainesville with girls that partied A LOT ...

i ended up meeting 2 girls at my interview that seem to be very nice - so we are going to room together

I figure it will give someone else to study with and ask questions if I need help!

I think for the most part Pharmacy students will be dedicated and not too wild (lol well I hope!) But if you post of the website for a roommate just state what type of person you are or what type of roommate you are looking for clearly- I hope our classmates will all be good people and I feel sure you could find a good responsible roommate. and roommates= saving money because you will be splitting utilities, rent, etc.

Hope all this helps and gives you a little insight!

where do u post if you need a roomate at a particualr campus at UF?

where do u post if you need a roomate at a particualr campus at UF?

You'll have a logon to Blackboard or Web CT (whichever they are using in the fall). There's a section for those looking for roommates, carpools, etc.

Imperial frog: I'll definitley take the I-4 thing into consideration...I for one can say that multitasking while driving is not my forte..

Master dix: About how much are rent for Archstone properties, if you don't mind me asking? Altamonte a relatively low crime area?

I grew up in Orlando - utilizing I-4 or the 408 in the morning is a mistake...

Ocoee is a nice place to live... definitely quieter than some of the spots towards downtown.

Just a thought - but wouldn't something in Apopka be a lot closer?

~above~

I just finished apartment hunting today. Search 436 (Semoron) just northeast of campus within a 15-20 minute radius.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...91,-81.483021&spn=0.086014,0.185566&z=13&om=1

Pay attention to the star ratings and number of ratings. Before you start though, I would suggest visiting Barrington at Mirror Lake. It's most certainly the cheapest place when it comes to studios. And I know a few of my classmates live there. The place is gorgeous and very well kept.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...83021&spn=0.085996,0.185566&z=13&iwloc=B&om=1
Studios(520sq ft) are ~$590-620.
Larger 1 bedroom/1bath (630-815sq ft) range from $680-815.
Two Bedrooms/One bath (1005 sq ft) are about $850-900
Two bed/two bath (1050 sq ft) = $1050
3 beds/2 bath (1360 sq ft) = $1175

I just got a studio for $589 a month. :thumbup: Message me if you do go to Barrington so you can refer me. :oops: /shameless plug

Another place I found was Park at Vineridge (520 Terraceview Cove Altamonte Springs 32714) with 1 bedrooms @ $699. The lady there said a few other pharmacy students already live there. It's more expensive though. :(

For those who will be attending UF-Orlando Campus I have a home with rooms available for rent. There will be an open house during summer- contact me for dates and additional information.

- Brand new home in Apopka with rooms for rent.

Located in a beautiful, safe, and quiet golf course community, just 15 minutes from Orlando campus. Fully furnished home with new mattress and furniture. Tenant is only responsible for monthly rent of $600.00. Rent includes all: utilities, water/garbage/sewer, local phone calls, wireless high speed internet, in room digital cable, full kitchen, washer/dryer, 24-hr security system and home association fees. Tenant will have their own bedroom/bathroom. Female pharmacy students currently rooming. If interested, please e-mail: [email protected].

I grew up in Orlando - utilizing I-4 or the 408 in the morning is a mistake...

Ocoee is a nice place to live... definitely quieter than some of the spots towards downtown.

Just a thought - but wouldn't something in Apopka be a lot closer?

~above~
Yes, Apopka would be closer...but I never really hear anyone living in that area as far as pharmacy school students go?...It's usually Ocoee or Altamonte..so I was just assuming that those are one of the better places to live :S

I just finished apartment hunting today. Search 436 (Semoron) just northeast of campus within a 15-20 minute radius.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...91,-81.483021&spn=0.086014,0.185566&z=13&om=1

Pay attention to the star ratings and number of ratings. Before you start though, I would suggest visiting Barrington at Mirror Lake. It's most certainly the cheapest place when it comes to studios. And I know a few of my classmates live there. The place is gorgeous and very well kept.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...83021&spn=0.085996,0.185566&z=13&iwloc=B&om=1
Studios(520sq ft) are ~$590-620.
Larger 1 bedroom/1bath (630-815sq ft) range from $680-815.
Two Bedrooms/One bath (1005 sq ft) are about $850-900
Two bed/two bath (1050 sq ft) = $1050
3 beds/2 bath (1360 sq ft) = $1175

I just got a studio for $589 a month. :thumbup: Message me if you do go to Barrington so you can refer me. :oops: /shameless plug

Another place I found was Park at Vineridge (520 Terraceview Cove Altamonte Springs 32714) with 1 bedrooms @ $699. The lady there said a few other pharmacy students already live there. It's more expensive though. :(

Thanks for the info on the apartments..I looked at the website for Park at Vineridge and It looks very nice. I will definitely tell them who referred me when I do decide to visit it :D ...but since I'm at Arkansas right now..my parents will have to do a preview for me first...I'm just acquiring a list of apartments for them to view...

I would suggest apartments in Mount Dora. It is a really nice town with great shopping and it is north of Apopka but it is rather rural, so traffic would not be a problem.

I went to UCF for undergrad and I went to Mount Dora almost once a week.

North of Apopka there really is not much traffic, and the area is quite rural.

I would recommend staying NORTH of Apopka going on 441.

Semoran Boulevard (436) is to be avoided as well. A lot of traffic lights AND traffic at the same time.