UF peeps - when do we get financial aid info??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like every other school has gotten their info except us!!! When do we find out about loans?? Do we have to wait for orientation?

Also - I heard some other 2013'ers state they were assigned "bigs" already - I haven't heard anything about that. Anyone else not have a "big" yet?

I feel so out of the loop .....

Members don't see this ad.

I HATE that we have to wait so long to hear about financial aid! I don't think we're supposed to hear until the first week of August.

As far as the "bigs" go, I have mine already, but I think that's just because I knew her before school. I think everyone else hears at orientation? Or maybe just before?

See you in a few weeks!

Hey! Everyone has a big already, you just may not have heard from yours yet because a lot of us are out of the state or country. You'll receive your "box" from your big during the first week or so of classes. It contains lots of things to help you through your first year like study guides and helpful ways to remember things (especially good for anatomy). Also, I remember that some of the people in my class didn't have our financial aid information until after classes started, but most of our class got theirs before or during orientation week. Welcome to UF and I can't wait to meet you all during FOLE!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe that you guys are still waiting on financial aid? When do classes at UF start?? It takes at least two weeks to process the loan through the lender and get your promissory notes signed. Have they told you anything?

Our orientation is Aug 10th and classes start Aug 17th. I am taking 2 courses over the summer, b/c I'm a joint MPH/DVM student and I was told my aid would alays be later than the rest of the DVM students. *sigh*. But I don't know when that is (the rest of you).

It's just the system, nothing we can do. Everyone's scared about $$, me included. If it didn't work, there wouldn't be 88 students every year doing this for the first time, so try not to stress. Eaiser said than done, I know. But remember there's 87 other people right there with you.

Last edited:
Alright, my turn to completely flip out now. UF's fin aid info came this morning in an email. My cost of attendance is MORE than what I qualify for?

Can ANYONE here, no matter what school give me some information on fin aid if your are married?? They have my expected family contribution as $33,000. I definitely do not have that lying aorund in the bank. And they are basing it on me having a full time job on last year's tax returns- where I made $50K.
I emailed the guy in charge, but sometimes his responses are less than straightforward and I have a hard time reading inbetween the lines.

Help! :eek:

Unfortunately for my state of mind, I read your post and immediately went to ISIS to look at my own account. I haven't yet received an email. All there was on my account was the UF Vet School Grant: ~$1000. Estimated cost of attendance: ~$37,000. Expected student contribution: ~$7,000. Gross Financial need: ~$30,000.

Below all that, there was some mumbo-jumbo about the "combined aggregate stafford loans...." Does anyone know what that is???

Last edited:
Philo,
You might have to make up the difference with Sallie Mae or another private-type loan. If you own a home you might want to look into student loans through the bank you have your mortgage with. They might give a good rate since you already have a loan with them.

I haven't gotten that e-mail yet, but now I'm nervous. I don't think it's uncommon for people to make up the difference with private loans, unfortunately.

Hold on - I just took a look at my ISIS page, and it's obviously incomplete. None of the loans are listed there.

Note that the "gross financial need" is defined as the maximum amount of "need based aid". The rest I assume is unsubsidized loans, just like everyone else has.

I would also be interested in knowing why they are taking into account last year's returns with my income from last year on it. I think I'm going to stop by the financial aid office on Monday and see if I can get some answers. Until then, I don't think the info on the ISIS page is complete.

Alright, my turn to completely flip out now. UF's fin aid info came this morning in an email. My cost of attendance is MORE than what I qualify for?

I don't think that's too uncommon, though, within a few thousand dollars. I think last year based on UCD's numbers, I would have had about a $5,500 shortfall between their expected cost of living/attendance for me (including all expenses, not just tuition and fees) and the aid package they had put together. I think meadow is right, people often take out GradPlus or private loans to cover the difference. Some people might be able to make it on just what's given, though, by living frugally.

It does sound like many of you have incomplete aid packages, though (the amount of aid they give should be well over the cost of tuition and fees), so maybe try not to stress yet?

Good luck guys!

Yeah, there is ZERO loan information on the financial aid page of the website. Just the vet school grant is listed. I know there's a big section on financial aid on the first day of orientation, so I'm going to wait and see what happens then.

I haven't gotten my info yet either, although I know some people who have. I am about to contact Mike, but I guess I will wait a couple more days, I think the system glitched yesterday so it may take a bit to fix.:confused:

OK - loan info is in, check your ISIS page folks. I got the full subsidized amount and the difference is made up in unsubsidized. Here's the issue - according to my budget, my "cost of living" is about $6,000 more than the listed cost of living for UF. Gradplus loans only let you borrow up to the cost of living minus your other loans. How are people covering the rest? What companies are you using?

I'm in the same position Meadow.. I assume the rest has to be made up with a private loan. I tried to contact Mike (our financial aid guy) but he was less than helpful. He just told me that everything would be talked about at orientation.

In the meantime, I'm working on finding a small private loan with an ok interest rate.. :(

Good luck!