UF St.Petersburg May 15th Interview!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by CambioElMundo, May 15, 2008.

1. CambioElMundo

CambioElMundo Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    Hi! I was wondering if anyone here had an interview at the University of Florida St. Petersburg Campus today? I thought the interview, campus, and staff were great! Let me know, as hopefully all of us will get in! Any thoughts from today? Also, hopefully we can keep each other updated on receiving information from UF! GOOD LUCK!:)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. stylerprodigy

stylerprodigy Gator Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    Good luck Cambio you will get accepted next week trust me!!

4. FLPharm2Be

Resident [Any Field]
    I was there too. I thought it went well, we will have to wait and see how it turns out. :)

5. StringTheorist

Pharmacist
  6. CambioElMundo

Pharmacy Student
    I would just like to say that again, the wait is tough. Especially since I am supposed to put down a deposit elsewhere by Thursday, if i decide to do that. I have not really decided, because as most of you know extra cash is hard to put down, when you are not even sure where you are going yet! AHHH! I hope I get a packet soon! lol

7. fenil2005

fenil2005 Accepted Pharmacy Student

i know how you feel because i also gave away $ 1000 to NOVA to hold my place and now got into LECOM...

8. PharmApp2008

Pharmacy Student
    I paid $700 for South and will be going to UF instead. I just couldn't take the chance of not getting to go. Oh well, I hope it goes to good use there!

9. PharmToBe

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi CambioElMundo,

I was also at the 5/15 interview, and the wait is tough. Good luck to you, I hope we are classmates in the fall.

10. CambioElMundo

Pharmacy Student
    After this difficult admissions process, waiting, and hoping, I am so happy, there are almost no words!
    I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!
    University of Florida-St.Petersburg Class of 2012!!!!:biglove::biglove::biglove::biglove:
    Go Gators! Congrats to my fellow classmates!:clap:
    I will see you all soon! Good Luck to those still waiting! Just have hope!:):D

11. PharmToBe

Pre-Pharmacy
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!:)

12. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed!

Pharmacist
    Wow! Congrats, I guess you saved yourself some money!

13. GatorGirl007

Pre-Pharmacy
    Congrats! I was there on the 15th as well, the 12:30- 3:00 session. I am still waiting. Hope to join you in the class of 2012! :)

14. Sleepizmyfriend

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was also at the 5/15 Afternoon Session interview. Have not heard as of yet, but it's only been a week, after all. Still waiting to hear from Nova (Interviewed 4/2). Was accepted to FAMU mid-April. Keeping my fingers crossed...

15. UFpharmD

UFpharmD pharmD student

Pharmacy Student
    Congrats! We'll be in the same class both at St. Pete!! See you at orientation.

anyone in the St. Pete campus know what they're doing as far as where to live? Are you guys looking for 1 bedrooms or finding a roommate?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. pharmgirl2012

Pharmacy Student
    Congrats everyone! I'm at the St. Pete campus, so I'll see you at orientation.

St. Pete has a lot to offer for apartments. I'm currently looking and have found some very promising ones. There are such a wide variety of options and price ranges.

18. CambioElMundo

Pharmacy Student
    Can any of you guys share about these places?
    I have heard about Beachway Condos and heard they were pretty good.
    I'll let you know if I find any good ones, and it would be great if we all share about our findings! Thanks!

19. medicalCPA

medicalCPA Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Cambio, congratulations on getting into your top choice school. I'm sure you will become a wonderful pharmacist.

20. CambioElMundo

Pharmacy Student
    Many thanks to all of you! I have enjoyed and welcomed your support throughout this process. I am glad that all of us could be there for each other! We made it, and I am glad to say that it was great sharing each of our tribulations, triumphs, and emotions with each other. I appreciate all of the help I have recieved from many of you, and I hope I could help as well. It's awesome because I feel like I know and have read so many people's stories, silently rooting for them to get in. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU IN THE FUTURE, CONGRATS, AND THANK YOU!:)

21. GatorGirl007

Pre-Pharmacy
    I agree, lets help each other out! I will be looking for apartments as well, very soon. It is nice to hear someone has found promising places. :D

22. FLPharm2Be

Resident [Any Field]
    Received my acceptance letter today for the Gainesville campus (interviewed at St. Petes).

23. PharmToBe

Pre-Pharmacy
    I received my packet today for the St Pete campus. :) I am so excited! Congratulations to all those that have received theirs and best of luck to those still waiting. I know it's hard!

24. eric4321

Pharmacist
    Congrats Cambio - what were you waiting for, Christmas??

My wife & I have a guest room and can let people stay here a few days [apartment-hunting, the weds-thurs orientation, whatever] if that helps. Right next to Treasure Island, about a 20 minute drive to campus.

There's no deposit for school but there is an $85 fee for the background check, part of the required paperwork due on July 1.

25. Sleepizmyfriend

Pre-Pharmacy
    Congratulations all! I got my acceptance letter today for the St Pete campus, so I will be seeing you all there in the fall! I didn't realize there was so much paperwork involved though, lol...

26. UFpharmD

UFpharmD pharmD student

Pharmacy Student
    Yay! That's good news. I've been looking on craigslist and I've found a few good places but the problem is that their lease begins ASAP rather than in August. It would be pretty amazing to live in Indian Shores, Redington, or Madeira...right on the beach :love: Are most of you looking for 1 bedrooms?

27. GatorGirl007

Pre-Pharmacy
    I would personally like to live close to the campus, and I have been looking at two bedrooms in hopes of finding a classmate to room with. I am going to go visit the Beach Way Condos, and a few others tomorrow. (That is my favorite online so far) I will let you all know what I see and think about it!

Congratulations to everyone else who has found out! GO GATORS!!! :D

28. Alkylholic

Pharmacy Student
    Congrats to all my neighboring St Pete acceptees. Good luck in your house hunting. Seems like I'm the only one that wanted to go to Jacksonville! lol

29. CambioElMundo

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks Alkyl!

Beachway Condos were the ones I was talking about earlier. They are kind of expensive, but the apparently the students LOVE them. Many students who live on their own, not with parents or family, live there! GOOD LUCK, maybe I will see you out there today, as I am looking too!:)

30. landakerjenna

Pharmacy Student
    I am on waitlist at NOVA :(
    and also in UF
    in UF i have interview next month on 13th
    do u guys think i have any chance of getting in anywere

31. PharmApp2008

Pharmacy Student
    If you have an interview that is a good sign. Just stay positive! Besides, there is always next year to try again if you have to.

32. GatorGirl007

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey Everyone!

Congrats to everyone! =) I am getting very excited, August is closer than we know it. Just to update on what I have seen- it has been difficult to get appointments being that it is a holiday weekend therefore there will be more after Tuesday!

Beach Way Condos- Small, quiet, nice complex. They built the condos in the vision of renting until they are sold and eventually replacing the management with HOA; therefore, they can be bought while you are renting- however you are able to finish your lease. The 2/2 was not quite as large as I had hoped to see. I like space! Washer/dryer hook-up is in the kitchen. Did anyone look at the one bedrooms? I do know that they drop quiet a few of the admin fees and processing fees for COP students- so that was a nice deal, especially since money is a hot topic!

Promenade at Carillon- (further out from school off of Ulmerton) Larger complex, very nice, and good deals going on for the 1 and 2 bedroom. There were an abundant amount of storage closets/cabinets in about every room. The apartments I looked at (1 and 2 bed) were okay, nothing to write home about.

I am not done yet! This week I will be trying to look at a few others. Bal Harbor, Aluna Largo, and The Reserve at Clearwater.

I will let you all know! :) Anyone else look around??

33. eric4321

Pharmacist
    one trick you might try while you're here is to go into a Blockbuster & see if they have phone books [Yellow Pages] free to pick up on the way out. listings in AptFinder are often places that have vacancies for a reason [like, the places are not-so-nice]

personally i don't like Blockbuster but people in the Verizon store told me i might find a phone book in Blockbuster's rack of free stuff & he was right - i picked up 2 of them.

you shouldn't have to go more than 3 or 4 miles from campus to find a good apt. - if you want to be on the beach i'd say Madeira is good because the bridge runs right into Seminole Blvd. at that point you're about 10 min from campus.

if you're not familiar with traffic here, i'd say: don't set yourself on the opposite side of the county [carillon, feather sound, gandy & 4th street] because you will spend way too much time at red lights.

similar warning for Clearwater - if you look at a map it is the skinniest part of the county and the north/south traffic is BAD - like 20 minutes to travel 2 miles in rush hour plus wrecks on all 4 north/south major roads every day.

whatever Mapquest says for travel time, it will be shorter on a sunday and it will be much MUCH longer in morning rush hour. our county is the most densely populated area south of Manhatten. [but the weather is nice] ;)

34. pharmgirl2012

Pharmacy Student
    Hi everyone! The apartments that I have been looking at are off of Gandy b/c it is a central location for my boyfriend and me (he works in Tampa). Hopefully, we won't have to be on campus during rush hour; however, we should be going against it in that location because hopefully everyone in Pinellas is trying to get into Tampa.

35. pharmgirl2012

Pharmacy Student
    Just a heads up that the College sent out an email about many different things including housing.

36. nasrahseya

Pre-Pharmacy
    do you guys mind sharing you stats i am hoping to get into st pete campus next year thanks

37. eric4321

Pharmacist
    nasrahseya,

http://www.cop.ufl.edu/studaff/admission.pdf

Just read thru that & get to know it really well. You're looking for 3.53 or better on UF's prepharmcy GPA, which they explain, and 82% or better PCAT composite. If you do worse than 3.5 gpa you should have better than 82% pcat or vice-versa.

If you do better than both numbers, you have very good chance of being accepted. The other requirements - personal statement, job/volunteering, are also factors but much less than the "numbers". Don't think that having more degrees, more classes etc is going to help a lot - they might help you slightly, that is all. Same with personal statement: it can help you a little or hurt you a little.

The interview can help a little or hurt you a lot. There are threads on that subject already. About 350 people get interviews. Feb/March if you have great numbers, April/May if you are closer to average.

Once 300 or so applicants are accepted, they are ranked. If you are near the bottom of the accepted 300 there's some chance you won't get your 1st campus choice.

Your campus choice has NOTHING to do with getting accepted but if you rank 200-300th [such as by scoring a little below 3.5 and 82%] then you might have to take your 2nd campus choice.

From what I was told, Gainesville gets more requests than they can grant (sometimes 150+ requests for 130 spots), St. Pete and Orlando are almost even, and Jacksonville gets fewer requests and takes some overflow from the other 3.

38. nasrahseya

Pre-Pharmacy
    thanks alot for all the info .... my gpa kinda sucks (3.23) :thumbdown: so I guess I gota work hard on the pcat