UF (University of Florida) vs Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tornpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throwaway account to preserve some anonymity. (haha, unlikely)

I’m having a difficult time choosing between University of Florida and Wake Forest. I've heard some advice (basically, I can't go wrong with either), but I wanted to get the perspectives of members at large. Money is a concern, but scholarship funding is making both similar in cost, so I’m thinking through the pros and cons as if both schools’ tuition will be the same. I will be considering everything very carefully at both second look weekends – I want to have an idea of what to look for and think about as I go into April.

Goals: I am interested an eventual fellowship in oncology after finishing a residency in a specialty – current interests are Optho, RadOnc, GynOnc - have also considered Plastics or ENT (go big or go home) and open to HemOnc, but I would like to be doing some procedures – I love being in the OR. I am trying to be as open minded as possible, but I want to put myself in a competitive position. I am interested in working at an academic center as a professor (teaching classes and/or mentoring residents) while conducting some research, but I do not plan to make research the focus of my career.

I would love to match at Duke or UNC for regional reasons (spouse’s job). Realistically, I realize this is highly unlikely. Florida resident, but consider NC to be a second home.

Both Schools
  • Pass/Fail Pre-clinical (yay!!)
  • Solid residency programs in all specialties I’m interested in
  • New buildings
  • Beautiful locations
  • Loved the campuses and the students
  • Non-competitive feel - students are very supportive at both
  • Administration and faculty are amazing!
  • Schools are close to clinical rotation hospitals
  • Spouse can transfer to offices nearby
  • Medical insurance through spouse’s job will carry over to either location
University of Florida
Pros
  • 2-year longitudinal anatomy block – helpful for how I learn
  • I liked the integrated PBL groups
  • Florida weather is fantastic – especially in March – not so much in April
  • Spouse is within a 50-minute drive to work and has a solid position available
  • Family lives in the state – far enough away that I don’t have to visit all the time, but close enough to visit for Christmas
  • No state income tax
  • Technically ranked higher than Wake, but realistically the same tier
  • MBA, MS, and MPH programs available – spouse could get a masters degree as a Florida resident, which would be fairly inexpensive and partly covered by work. The MBA is just one extra year and free.
Cons
  • Cost of living is higher – housing will be more expensive
  • No Costco – the closest one is in Jacksonville
  • Traffic and parking can be a pain during peak hours
  • Higher property taxes and insurance rates, which can significantly increase COL
Wake Forest
Pros
  • 18-month pre-clinical curriculum
  • Very low cost of living – we could purchase two houses - maybe even three - and rent one out to cover expenses
  • Many offices in the surrounding area, but all over an hour away. Spouse would likely be working in Durham, which would be really nice if I match to Duke or UNC (Which is unlikely)
  • Spouse’s firm works with both UNC and Duke medical schools – might help for personal connections
  • Ample hiking and outdoor activities
  • Traffic and parking are not a problem
  • My parents live close by for much of the year – close enough to visit if we really want to, far enough away not to be at our doorstep every week
  • Well respected by Residency PDs (from what I have heard)
  • Costco in Winston-Salem – Costcos are everywhere in NC.
  • Cool logo (I’m grabbing at straws here)
Cons
  • Weather – I love fall, but winter I could live without
  • Spouse would be working over 80 minutes from the school, so we would need to split the difference – it should be noted that I hate driving
  • Spouse can easily transfer, but does not currently have position lined up – position may not be as good of a fit as the position near UF
  • Technically ranked lower than UF, but I think they are basically the same
  • State income tax
  • No MPH option

Summary: Honestly, the only real differences I see between the schools are the 18-month preclinical curriculum at Wake vs. 2-years at UF, the weather, and some minor differences in cost-of-living. I don’t even know if there is a difference in prestige. I'm hoping I'll get some kind of gut reaction at the Second Look weekends. Help a forum member out here!

Members don't see this ad.

This is difficult considering you want to go to UNC or Duke for residency. Since wake is closer building relationships and aways would be easier . It is a coin toss, I would probably go where your SO is happiest at small level of difference between quality of schools and opportunities.

This is difficult considering you want to go to UNC or Duke for residency. Since wake is closer building relationships and aways would be easier . It is a coin toss, I would probably go where your SO is happiest at small level of difference between quality of schools and opportunities.

Thanks for the response! Would your opinion be any different if the residency location was not important?

Thanks for the response! Would your opinion be any different if the residency location was not important?
the COL considerations are very small in the grand scheme of things. Costco etc, its probably a rounding error away from being insignificant at the end of the day in terms of cost savings. That being said, I would look towards the residency programs you are interested in and see which school has the more prominent program. I would personally stay in FL because of spouse and weather. Plus those Mayo FL residencies are probably not bad either.

Members don't see this ad :)
the COL considerations are very small in the grand scheme of things. Costco etc, its probably a rounding error away from being insignificant at the end of the day in terms of cost savings. That being said, I would look towards the residency programs you are interested in and see which school has the more prominent program. I would personally stay in FL because of spouse and weather. Plus those Mayo FL residencies are probably not bad either.

Thanks! Agreed on all the small things. Spouse has an office in Jacksonville, and it's one of our favorite locations, so Mayo is a definite option for residency. What's the best way to determine the prominence of a residency program (since I'm not technically a med student and can't join doximity as far as I know)? I had a friend who went from UF to Mayo for RadOnc, so I had considered that before.

Any opinions on the 18 month vs 2-year preclinical? Is 18-month that much better? Honestly, that's really the only real solid difference I can tell between the two, except the weather.

Thanks! Agreed on all the small things. Spouse has an office in Jacksonville, and it's one of our favorite locations, so Mayo is a definite option for residency. What's the best way to determine the prominence of a residency program (since I'm not technically a med student and can't join doximity as far as I know)? I had a friend who went from UF to Mayo for RadOnc, so I had considered that before.

Any opinions on the 18 month vs 2-year preclinical? Is 18-month that much better? Honestly, that's really the only real solid difference I can tell between the two, except the weather.
18 months is the new standard, frees up some time for clinicals before step to help on step , also opens up more aways rotations and possibly time for research. I would just look up the chair's for the programs and see how well published they are, In your instance I would also look at past match lists to see how prominent those matches are over a 5ish year period to see how well the program performs in placing people.

So based on this weather we're having, I'm definitely leaning toward UF - I find it really difficult to adapt well to extensive cold weather and I keep trying to tell myself it's not a big deal, but if both schools are nearly equal, then I should take it into account. My spouse also heard some really great things about UF this week from a previous grad, so I know it won't hold me back.

BUT - I will also be looking into the specific programs I am interested in and seeing the chairs, etc. Thanks for all of the help - I feel like I at least know what to look for and a place to start looking.

Reactions: 1 user
I might be missing something, but it seems like UF is basically 18 months, too. M1 starts in August; you’re done in March of M2 to study for Step 1 and then on to Clinicals.

Last edited:
I might be missing something, but it seems like UF is basically 18 months, too. M1 starts in August; you’re done in March of M2 to study for Step 1 and then on to Clinicals.

I thought the same.

I'm also making a similar choice! Have you received a scholarship from Wake already? I thought we didn't hear until April, but seeing that people already know they have funds is making me nervous that I won't be receiving anything.

I thought the same.

I'm also making a similar choice! Have you received a scholarship from Wake already? I thought we didn't hear until April, but seeing that people already know they have funds is making me nervous that I won't be receiving anything.

Wake has sent out some merit scholarships, but financial aid packages and need-based scholarships aren't coming out until later. I think.