UF v. USF - maybe we can help each other!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davika0

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am soooooo torn between UF & USF :scared:
and May 15th is fast approching
I'd really like to hear how other people made the decision between them and what factors you chose to be most important.

For me -
USF PROS - clinical diversity, on the beach, better city, Mr. Larkin
USF CONS - unranked, so young - can be a good thing but can also come off as lacking in tradition or class

UF PROS - great well respected program, loved the physicians I met there, I think it might draw a few more of the best FL resident candidates
UF CONS - kinda homogenous clinicals, have to go to Jacksonville for some rotations, Gainesville is not much of a city

PLEASE - let me know how you made/are making this decision!

Members don't see this ad.

I was also wondering which would be a better fit for me - USF or UF. UF is certainly a much much more nationally recognized med school than USF, as you mentioned. However, USF is certainly headed in the right direction from what I saw there, and yes Mr. Larkin is a reason why I liked it so much there when I interviewed :D !! I think I would rather go to UF because there are more opportunities and better facilities, from what I saw. I'm also only waitlisted at USF so I can't really choose to go there yet. Keep me informed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in exactly the same boat as you ( Ihad the Miami / USF decision to make) but I can tell you why I'm headed to USF in the fall...

I chose USF mainly because of its clinicals. I absolutely LOVED the idea of having so many different, and amazing, hospitals to rotate through. Moffit Cancer Ctr, Tampa general, All Children's, etc.... Theres a lot of variety to chose from in Tampa. In gainesville you've got to chose from Shands and Shands, from what I understand.

I like Tampa and what it has to offer. The beach is close, there's SO many GREAT things to do in the city, and affordable housing.

There are a lot of research opportunities at both universities, so you're even there. I dabbled in some cancer research in undergrad so I was drawn to Moffitt cancer center for that reason.

Maybe you should start a poll, but I personally would go with UF. As you've both said, UF has a much better reputation outside of florida than does USF, and I'd even wager to say the same is true inside of florida.

As for individual facts, I do think UF's clinical rotations and preceptorships are rather weak. Shands is a great hopsital, but the buck basically stops there. Tampa is also a much more vibrant city than Gainsville.

Academically speaking, you'll probably be getting the same level of education. Professors are great everywhere, and from what I've gathered, it's not different at UF (and I can't vouch for USF, but I'm sure it's the same). In the end, the decision is up to you. If you want to practice outside of florida, UF all the way. If you are happy staying in Florida, you'd have to think about it some more.

The University of Florida isn't going to 'open any doors' for you in Ohio over USF. Residency directors in far away states who have two neurons will recognize USF and UF as both state schools in florida who have very similar student bodies.

Go to USF because tampa is better than gainesville.

hey davika,

i'm on south florida's waitlist, but i know exactly how you feel about being torn between the two. i was leaning towards USF, but now it looks like UF. in terms of the cities/towns, gville is weaker than tampa, but remember that USF is north of the city and it will be a pain during your clinical years to travel around the city with their traffic. gville is what you make of it though and i enjoy it. you can do tons of outdoor activities (cycling, canoing, disc golf, and of course gator football games) here, but you're over an hour away from the beach. Larkin is excellent, but we really won't be seeing much of him once August comes around.

both will give fine educations and we will be competent physicians....i do feel that UF will give us a better opportunity to get a nice residency outside of the state if that's important to you. yes, we will have opportunities with USF, but my naive opinion is that UF is more respected. don't know if this has really helped, but hopefully it did.

PS: what better way to relieve med school stress than to go tailgate on a saturday and root on the gators with 80,000 other people....saturdays here are great

I would go to UF if I were you. Go to the better respected program. I don't think going to Jacksonville is a con, but if you really hate the city then you should factor that into your decision. Shands-gainesville is a busy hospital. It is not like jackson in miami, but I think it creates a good learning environment. You are not stuck doing scut work all day. The state of the art equipment and teaching on the wards is supposed to be great. I personally am excited about attending UF.

Gainesville, while not a great city, does offer a nice college life. Lots of bars and hang out spots and clubs. It is very homogeneous though : ( But I am turning down Manhattan for them so I do not think it will be unbearable.

I think UF has the best med school in Florida, but if city life matters to you go to tampa. Residents in the N.E. might say... hey its just another school in florida, but I think UF is one of the more respected South Eastern School, up there with Emory in terms of residencies... thats just my humble opinion.

movingonup said:
I would go to UF if I were you. Go to the better respected program. I don't think going to Jacksonville is a con, but if you really hate the city then you should factor that into your decision. Shands-gainesville is a busy hospital. It is not like jackson in miami, but I think it creates a good learning environment. You are not stuck doing scut work all day. The state of the art equipment and teaching on the wards is supposed to be great. I personally am excited about attending UF.

Gainesville, while not a great city, does offer a nice college life. Lots of bars and hang out spots and clubs. It is very homogeneous though : ( But I am turning down Manhattan for them so I do not think it will be unbearable.

I think UF has the best med school in Florida, but if city life matters to you go to tampa. Residents in the N.E. might say... hey its just another school in florida, but I think UF is one of the more respected South Eastern School, up there with Emory in terms of residencies... thats just my humble opinion.

Hey moving,
Are you still on the Miami waitlist??

Just wondering if anyone is planning on turning down USF soon....Mr Larkin told me I'm high on the list and the waiting is killing me!

Dont go to UF.......The people in charge there are crazy. In my opinion they dont care at all about the students at all. They only care how high they are ranked and how much money is being brought in through research. USF seems to care more about the individual students and I feel I would enjoy it more. Screw UF.

Although Gainesville is a lot of fun. Lots of girls here and there and everywhere.............

mosfet said:
Hey moving,
Are you still on the Miami waitlist??

nope, not any more. Do not have any plans on attending the school at UM so good luck

HuGeSLuT said:
Dont go to UF.......The people in charge there are crazy. In my opinion they dont care at all about the students at all. They only care how high they are ranked and how much money is being brought in through research. USF seems to care more about the individual students and I feel I would enjoy it more. Screw UF.

Although Gainesville is a lot of fun. Lots of girls here and there and everywhere.............

Just wondering if the fact you were put on the waitlist and didn't get in even though you thought you were a lock has anything to do with your opinion.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=118024

A little biased are we?

Members don't see this ad :)
USF. No question. Talk to random students at either campus for five minutes and you'll see why. USF students get way more support from the school's staff, Tampa is way cooler than Gainesville, and the education is pretty much the same.

I personally and going to head to UF next year. I was having a tough time choosing between staying here and heading to a private school...but I'm 99.9% sure I'll still be a Gator next year! I was dreading staying in Gainesville for 4 more years...but now I'm actually getting a little excited about it. If you're a college football fan...you can't beat 4 more years of Gator football games. As for Gainesville vs. Tampa...they are just different, Gainesville is a hard core college town and Tampa is a bigger city.

I know a bunch of students in med school at UF and they definately don't walk around acting like they have a gun pointed to their heads. I know lots of med students that have very active social lives and are very laid back. I guess it just depends on what crowd you like to hang with. Also, I just think UF is getting better every year...their match list has certainly gotten better every year and a fair number of people matched in some very well respected out of state programs.

Also, I was just talking about the subject of the admissions staff here the other day with one of my friends...and you have to remember that you barely have any contact with them once you start school...it's the professors and dean of education that matters most.

Anyway, good luck with your decision, and I really don't think you can go wrong either way!!!

I REALLY appreciate everyones' perspectives! Keep 'em coming.
And FYI, I am not planning on leaving FL for residency, I really want to be near my family (about the same distance from both).

Some factors that are important to me:

1. class composition (I want talented individuals from diverse backgrounds that know how to work hard and have a good time)
2. a really caring and invested support group of professors and administration
3. really strong academic years that provide great preparatoin for step 1
4. really diverse and hands on clinical years
5. a really interesting city that I won't get tired of in 4 years

If anyone has an opinion on how UF and USF compare in these areas, I'd love to hear it!

davika0 said:
5. a really interesting city that I won't get tired of in 4 years

UF might not exactly take the cake with that one. Gainsville is on the boring side I would say. I spent a few summers there and while there is stuff to do in terms of going out and such, there aren't too many city-like draws like museums, pro sports teams, etc... That's the disadvantage of living in a smaller city.

i graduated UF and the only reason i am not going back for med school is to try something new and live in a new city...

yes, Mr. Larkin is great...

However, i def. would go w/ UF for a few reasons:

Location: gainesville is not that bad. its a college town with a LOT to do thanks to UF's facilities (gyms, libraries, intermural sports, music, arts, etc..). there are a lot of pool parties, fun bars/clubs, etc... its not that bad
I dont know too much about Tampa, (Ybor city just outside is pretty cool as well as beaches) but i dont think its that great of a city.

Facilities: as for USF, although it is cool to work in different city/area hospitals, the transportation might be a pain (traffic, shuttles, parking, or whatever the scenario is). I really like Shands (UF) and their facilities. they have ample research opportunities, nice classrooms, nice library, and other great set-ups.

Universities: Again, I am biased towards UF, but i think the school, its facilities, and the students are great. realllly nice little college town w/ a great campus and student body. very diverse.

for your concerns- as for florida-1) i think the class comp is great. a lot of cool, diverse talented people...2) the faculty i have worked w/ are great..caring, helpful, compassionate, hard working 3) yes, they have a great academic program that will prepare you adequately for USMLE 4) tons of clinical opportunities begining week 1...opportunities to travel to other countries during summer, rotations etc...5)yes, tampa is a city, will have some advantages to a small town, but gville is not that bad. from my experience, college towns are great.

sorry if this is soo long. i must say i am biased to UF since i went there and i know people, but i love it there and it is incrediblly hard for me to leave. either way, both schools are great choices. good luck and have fun!

facted said:
UF might not exactly take the cake with that one. Gainsville is on the boring side I would say. I spent a few summers there and while there is stuff to do in terms of going out and such, there aren't too many city-like draws like museums, pro sports teams, etc... That's the disadvantage of living in a smaller city.

While there are alot of benefits to living in a city--there are also a lot of drawbacks. Museums get old, sports games are pricey (along with everything else) and simple things, such as getting groceries, can be an excursion. Im most likely going to Gainesville, and im looking forward to simple things like parking at grocery stores, and everything I need centered in the same shopping center. After med school im most likely going to move back up north, but for med school when Ill be pretty occupied Im pretty happy living in the convinience of a small town.

As for Tampa, its not much of a city anyway--I think it bring many of the inconviniences of city life (traffic etc.), without many of the perks. As for cities such as NY--Id be frustrated there because you dont have the same time and freedom to explore as you would as an undergrad or after med school. Im choosing FL for the peace and quiet. It will be so nice to see the sun in winter and be able to enjoy the outdoors most of the year. To get my fix of city life Ill probably budget in a couple trips back up here.

maswe12: I completely agree with your comments, but davika's 5th request is a city that wouldn't be boring after 4 years...

I'm one of the few people with the UF vs. USF dillemma who's leaning towards USF. I'm not looking to start a fight, but I'll list my reasons to aid in this discussion.

1. clinical facilities - I've worked at Shands. Yes, it is a great hospital, but it's also a tertiary care hospital. People come from the entire southeast to Shands, and there are lots of patients whose local doctors couldn't figure out the problem. I think this would be great for certain types of residency programs, but for medical school I prefer more "bread and butter" stuff, and I think TGH and the other USF teaching sites will have more of this. Also, I do not like the idea of uprooting my life for 3 months during 3rd year to go to Jacksonville. I feel away-rotations should be elective, not mandatory.

2. perception of students (current and future) - UF has the best reputation in the state, and for that reason the most competitive students will presumably try to go there. Well, combine that with the A-F grading and I think things could get ugly. I know several members of the 2008 class at UF that will be uber-gunners. I know because I'm an undergrad with them now. I don't want to spend another 4 years with some of these people. At USF everyone just seems more relaxed. The group testing would encourage people to work well together, and less grading tiers is a good thing in my opinion. For lack of a better word, the USF students just seemed happier.

3. location - simply put, I don't think I can take another 4 years of Gainesville. and I'm not a big-city person. it's just that G'ville combines all the worst parts of a city (traffic, yuppie-ism, commercialization) with the bad parts of a small town (lack of pro sports, few specialty stores [i'm into cooking and struggle to find certain ingredients, yes i know this is stupid for most of ya'll, but to me it's important], very culturally segragated). Tampa's not perfect either, but New Tampa is certainly one of the better parts to be in.

4. family - I have grandparents in Tampa, who could all die at any time, so it'd be nice to see them once a week or so, which I couldn't do in G'ville.

5. grading - less tiers is better

6. administration - Dr. Gessner is the only UF figure I'm familiar with, and I've heard mixed things about him. Drs. Spector and Wallach are geniunely good people. Med schools are like big families, and I know that at USF the "paterfamilias" are people who geniunely care about the well-being of their students.

7. extracurriculars - UF would definately be better in this regard, but USF is good enough for what I'm into. their football team stinks, but they play in a beautiful stadium and tickets are free. USF is growing into more than a commuter school, and as they do the intramurals and clubs are growing too.

Ok, I've written plenty. Note I didn't mention research - that's because I'm not into research. If I were, this would be a much harder choice since UF is still the top research school in the state (although Genshaft is certainly trying to give UF a run for their money). Hopefully some current students from each school start chiming in to confirm or refute some of our conceptions.

facted said:
maswe12: I completely agree with your comments, but davika's 5th request is a city that wouldn't be boring after 4 years...

Yeah I know...i just wanted to bring up that city life has its drawbacks. I just feel that Tampa doesnt have much more to offer than G-Ville other than the beach. it seems to have the same diversions as G-ville but spread all over the place.

I think that both of the schools (UF and USF) are equally good...just follow your heart. Which "felt" right?

probably a little biased yes. but i stand by my conviction that I willl not attend UF and I should have applied to USF.......peace

Basically I just think whether you choose to go to UF or USF is a personal preference. I interviewed at both schools and know students at both schools and I don't see you people can claim that the students are more or less happy or more or less gunnerish at either school. It's all a matter of who you choose to hang out with or who you know at either school. I also don't see what's the big downside to Jacksonville. I'm sure by my third year...I'll be excited to get out of Gainesville and do some rotationas in Jax. Also, I heard Jax has incredible volume and diversity....so if you're worried about not getting great clinical training in Gainesville...you could always do more rotations at Shands Jax which Im sure is just as good or better than Tampa general. Just some more points to consider!!! Good luck with your decision!!!

Maswe12 - I understand your points on city life, I don't want to deal with parking issues and traffic anymore than I have to. I also am not sure of what I really need in a city, so even though Gainesville is a bit slower, I'm not sure I'd get bored or not enjoy it because I think getting into Gator athletics and enjoying the surrounding nature would be fun, although I do like to shop and take in plays and movies and try different kinds of bars and restaurants, and it seems Tampa might win there.

Indebt4life - I do think it'll come down to which feels right... problem is during my interview days I was focusing on lots of things that weren't taking in the feel of the place. I am trying to plan trips to both schools next week to sit in on classes and meet with some students and do all the "feeling" I can stand, hopefully one will be a clear winner at that point!

Lhickz22 - as far as Jacksonville goes, I would love to be there, it is a great city with more clinical diversity... the reason its a negative is because if I am living in one place I think it'll be a pain to go someplace else for months at a time. I'm not sure how living situations work, but it seems like it could mean paying 2 rents and being away from all the other activities that you usually enjoy.

If anyone has any advice before my visits, I'd really appreciate it - what questions ahould I ask? Who should I be sure to talk to? What should I explore about the cities?

THANKS AGAIN for all the great advice everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the diversity is like at USF. At my interview I was one of only 2 people that I know of who went to out of state universities. I would hate to go to a homogenous place with all USF, UF, and Miami graduates. I've been reading about how homogenous UF is too, and I just wonder how they compare.

mikedc813 said:
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the diversity is like at USF. At my interview I was one of only 2 people that I know of who went to out of state universities. I would hate to go to a homogenous place with all USF, UF, and Miami graduates. I've been reading about how homogenous UF is too, and I just wonder how they compare.

I emailed Mr. Larkin about this and he sent me the spread sheets with all the undergrad universities for the past three years (PM me your email and I'll send them to you). The short answer is about 30% of the class went to undergrad out of state. the proportion of UF grads is growing, and is about 1/3 of the accepted students right now, they've made up about a quarter of the class the last few years. There are around 20 USF grads and 8 UM grads. This is an important factor for me, too, coming from an undergrad experience where all my friends are from different parts of the country. What do you think about these numbers? If this too much?

You should make a list like MLW did for USF, and do it for both schools or maybe come up with categories that are important to you and give the school you like better the point. I did this and realized the only reason I wanted to go to a certain school over UF was the reputation---after that my decision was a whole lot easier.

As for Jax...they provide some housing...so you only need to pay rent if you dont want to live where they put you up. I really like the idea of doing rotations at Jax, and I believe there are some electives you can do in Orlando and other areas around florida--in addition to the external electives they allow.

When you are looking at the cities, look at transportation and crime rates--all cities have their fair share of cool places, but you dont want to feel trapped by inadequate transportation or in a dangerous area where you are afraid to walk.

Im a bit worried about the homogeny at UF, but its not that bad. Theres alot more to diversity then the schools we went to so I think Ill get over it. My biggest problem is having to go there is that I hate the gators...Im sure there will be a decent amount of canes fans there to commiserate with.

Is money playing into anyone's decision between UF and USF? What I mean is, are there any financial considerations people are making in their trying to decide? Cost of living? Housing? Differences in the financial aid awarded?

Cost of living is about the same I would think, but housing I'm not sure on. G'ville has some really cheap stuff, but New Tampa I'm not very well informed about. And I've only received one of the financial aid packages, so I'm hoping the other shows up soon so I can see if there are any differences.

hey, i heard that if you are a FL resident, its one of the easiest states to get into your state school, is that true? Because the numbers of applicants vs. the number of spots open at these schools doesnt make it seem so easy.

Im thinking of moving to FL if that is the case, cuz i have a 28 mcat and im getting killed applying around connecticut. If some of you guys could PM me with your stats it could help me get a feel for the competition level.. thanks

JayMiranti said:
hey, i heard that if you are a FL resident, its one of the easiest states to get into your state school, is that true? Because the numbers of applicants vs. the number of spots open at these schools doesnt make it seem so easy.

Im thinking of moving to FL if that is the case, cuz i have a 28 mcat and im getting killed applying around connecticut. If some of you guys could PM me with your stats it could help me get a feel for the competition level.. thanks

Nope that is incorrect... There are 1500 applicants for about 377 spots. Look at the aamc data on their web site. Getting into florida schools as a state resident is just as hard as most other states.

yeah i mean numbers dont lie, i am starting to believe that it is not the best place to move to, numbers wise, NY actually looks like a lot less competitive market. How did FL get this stigma of an easy state to apply from?

So I went on my visits to UF & USF this week... lots more info, still no decision. Some thoughts:

what USF thinks about UF - the students are boderline cut-throat and Gainesville sucks, in addition USF loves their clinicals and claim that the attendings are extremely supportive

what UF thinks about USF - why would you want to go to USF if you get into UF cause UF is obviously the best school in Florida and has the best rep? And who cares if Gainesville is not too much of a city, you won't have time to enjoy Tampa anyway.

what professors joke about at USF - that the students are hung over

what professors joke about at UF - that the students have no free time

My Comparisons -

admissions
~UF - greeted with a hug and by name, she was glad I had my host to show me aorund, said to come back by the office if I needed anything or had any questions, a very warm welcome.
~USF - Mr. Larkin really made me feel important, introduced me to Dr. Spector (dean) and the dean of curriculum. Gave me contact info for some students (unfortunately the numbers were old and not active)

preceptorship
~UF - 2.5 weeks after Thanksgiving, lots of say about where in Florida, students wish it was more time
~USF - 1 day a week with one all first year, one each half second year - 1 of the 3 will be distant (45-60 minute drive)

lectures
~UF - I went to pharm and EKG class with second years, professors were clinicians, EKG guy wrote the book and put so much effort into his powerpoints. I went to a genetics course with the first years - the first half was a prominant researcher giving background on CF and the second half was a 14yo boy from his gene therapy study and his mother answering questions about living with CF (very cool!). Then I sat in for two phis presentations, the students made lots of jokes in the powerpoints, people laughed and had a good time (didn't seem cut-throat). On another note, they claim to be the only school in Florida with a pharm class which they say is a significant portion of step 1 and a big reason why they do so well.
~USF - sat in on M1 classes (M2s have already taken their step 1s and are done till July, UF takes them in June). First was a neuro class on sleep, very interesting, guy in front of me played internet chess and talked on im the whole time (it is cool that there are internet hookups at the desks, there are not at UF but the building is wireless). A figure showed how penile erection cycled through the night and a guy asked a funny question about what the units were (perhaps a bit too much laughter about penile erection, a bit imature? In addition, when showed tapes of individuals with night terrors they laughed uproariously, felt a bit insensitive.) Next came an ethics class on unruly patients that only about 25% of the class stayed for.

students
~UF - complicated. I stayed with an amazing host for my interview that welcomed me back this time and everyone she introduced me to was so cool and welcoming and many other students came up and introduced themselves and talked about how much they loved UF. However, the second years think the first year class is too competitive and uptight and one M1 even admitted to having 10-12 gunners in her class (yikes). They are young and tight, they know each other. Another note - when an email was sent to 1st and 2nd years asking for someone to volunteer to take me to class, no one responded, luckily I had my host but that's not a very good sign.
~USF - harder to gauge, I did not stay with a host and therefore sat in the classes without much interaction (only one girl introduced herself to me). However, when I approached some third years to ask questions they were extremely friendly and happy about USF and their clinicals. I get the feeling the class is less tight, spend less time together, but they certianly feel more laid back which is nice.

clinicals
~UF - didn't get to talk to a 3rd year but the M2s are excited and don't seem to mind going to Jacksonville. I heard one third year complain about how Shands in Jax had only 2 good programs (OB&ER) but the children's hospital in Jax is phenomenal. They love Shands, love the Harell center (do scripted practicals on tape), feel good about their preparation for the practical part of the USMLE, have a free clinic in town where they can see their own patients starting first year, etc.
~USF - The students are very excited about the diversity of clinical facilities and feel that the increased driving is worth it... the dean of curriculum told me the best part about USF was the diverse patient base. Most of the 3rd & 4th years are spent at Tampa General which is on an island on the water right past downtown (beautiful environment!)

area
~UF - They say a bar a night has a free ladies night (impressive), the downtown district is getting revived and looks like it'll really be a cool place to hang out, they love football games, and feel that there is more to do in Gainesville than med students have time for. Cheap apartments are easy enough to find, some are grad student specific for $800 for two bedrooms, there are some cheap houses if people are looking to invest but they are a bit rundown.
~USF - Tampa is great, shopping, museums, water, Ybor city, clubs, bars, professional sports... its also small enough to know your way around and feel comfortable very quickly. There are lots of apartments around the school (kinda pricy and lots of undergrads), New Tampa to the north is conveniant for the first two years and lots of students move to south Tampa (Hyde park area) for the second two, Davis island has adorable little houses and renting can be reasonable but buying out there starts at half a million.

Concerns -
*which students will I fit in better with? Uf is younger and tighter but also more competitive and less laid back.
*where do I want to live? I love Tampa and wonder if I'll be happy in Gainesville for four years
*where will I have the least hassle? the driving in tampa, the externships to Jax at UF, the traffic in both
*does the reputation difference matter to me? I don't want to go out of state for residency so it shouldn't make a difference but will it get old if some people assume I went to USF cause I didn't get into UF?
*what will my oppurtunities be afterward? so many students at each school stay where they are. I know I don't want to be in Gainesville for more than 4 years so will I be able to get to Tampa after that? Only 5 people on UFs match list this year stayed in Florida at places other than UF (3 at USF), is that because that's where they want to be or because USF likes to keep their own?

ARGHHHHHH!!! I am leaving for a cruise Monday and plan to drink myself into epiphany on some tropical beach. If anyone has any thoughts on how to process all this information, I'd love to hear it! (Sorry this was so long!)

I think its time for eenie meenie minie moe...
If you arent happy with what you get then you should go to the other one.

It sounds like you like both schools enough to not rule one out by now. If you're in such a bind then you can't go wrong with choosing one over the other, so just go with your gut and see where that leads you...

From what I have seen and heard the quality of education at both schools is faily similiar. The match lists for the past couple of years are about the same (with the exeption that more UF students stay at UF and more USF students stay at USF, if that makes sense). Not to sound preachy or anything , but ultimately Davika0 it comes down to "know thyself". You seem to be having a truly difficult time with this decision and this is understandable. My advice would be to take this week and go through that list I am sure you made about what you want from med school. See which school, USF or UF fills more of the requirements. WHen yoiu make your decision, let it stand and then move on, because if you don't this is one of those things that you will be spending the rest of your summer railing yourself for. "Did I make the right decisuion?..... Well I should have chose USF because of ...." The best of luck to you. :luck: :luck:

I'm back from my cruise (phenomenal) and drum role please...

I'm gonna be a GATOR.

I tried to pick the class I thought I would fit in best with, and although I still have reservations about Gainesville, I just keep telling myself I can do anything for four years.

Thanks so much everyone who offered advice! I really appreciated the support. A few people implied they thought they knew where I was leaning from my posts, I can honestly say I didn't, I'd be interested to hear if you were right.

And to all you future gators out there... congrats and see you in a few months!
~Katie :rolleyes:

davika0 said:
I'm back from my cruise (phenomenal) and drum role please...

I'm gonna be a GATOR.

I tried to pick the class I thought I would fit in best with, and although I still have reservations about Gainesville, I just keep telling myself I can do anything for four years.

Thanks so much everyone who offered advice! I really appreciated the support. A few people implied they thought they knew where I was leaning from my posts, I can honestly say I didn't, I'd be interested to hear if you were right.

And to all you future gators out there... congrats and see you in a few months!
~Katie :rolleyes:

I won't throw in an opinion, but any choice that you've spent this much time thinking about is the right choice. Good luck at UF!

Yay you finally decided davika! Best of luck at UF....you can't go wrong with either school. :thumbup:

hey davika,

congrats on your decision!!! look forward to seeing you in gator country this august

Congrats on making your decision Katie. I am sure you will be very happy and you will get a great education there. :)

Sorry you get to miss out on being my classmate, your loss... ;)

Best of luck with everything!

This has been quite a read as I am now too faced with this very UF/USF dilemma...

Instinctually, UF seems right, but there's a tiny voice in the back of my head saying USF isn't bad at all. But so many "go with your instincts" push me to UF, where I was deeply impressed with the facilities, students, and for the most part, staff. I remember I couldn't stop gushing about it when I was there, but I wonder if at USF (my first interview) I wasn't just a bit dazed and didn't fully take it all in.