UF vs. Carver College of Med (Iowa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdoc6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm debating which school to go to:

UF:
Alma Mater/in-state tuition
great Florida weather + beaches not too far away
reputable program
Shands hospital
my PI rates the UF program as one of the best for the medical education (he got his M.D from Johns Hopkins)...but he also is faculty at UF COM so I don't know how biased his statement was

(cons):
use grades/class bell-curve
students have strong gunner mentality
Gainesville=boring
not much diversity in student body

Iowa:
top notch/new facilities/beautiful buildings
EVERYONE at CCOM is super friendly...they even paid part of my interview trip expenses
very collaborative learning environment/have "learning communities"
top hospital (UIHC)
tests weekly
students seemed very happy
student success is the primary concern of all faculty/staff

(cons):
COLD COLD COLD/4 month winters
tornadoes
Iowa City=potentially boring (but 3hr drive to Chicago and many outdoor type activities)
far from home

I'm leaning towards Iowa but would like some feedback on both schools...which would be best in terms of clinical experiences/research opportunities/resources (basically anything that isn't based on personal performance-i.e. USMLE scores) that I can utilize if I'm shooting for a surgery residency in Cali or a top residency program in general

Members don't see this ad.

UF:
reputable program
Shands hospital
my PI rates the UF program as one of the best for the medical education (he got his M.D from Johns Hopkins)...but he also is faculty at UF COM so I don't know how biased his statement was

(cons):
Gainesville=boring

Iowa:
EVERYONE at CCOM is super friendly...they even paid part of my interview trip expenses
top hospital (UIHC)
tests weekly

(cons):
tornadoes
Iowa City=potentially boring (but 3hr drive to Chicago and many outdoor type activities)
far from home

I'm leaning towards Iowa but would like some feedback on both schools...which would be best in terms of clinical experiences/research opportunities/resources (basically anything that isn't based on personal performance-i.e. USMLE scores) that I can utilize if I'm shooting for a surgery residency in Cali or a top residency program in general

I don't know much about UF or Gainesville, but Iowa City is actually a pretty fun place to live when you are young. It is a vibrant college town with plenty of restaurants, bars and tons of people your age. (I would imagine Gainesville is similar)

Yes, it's cold, but it's not as cold as Minnesota (where I now live...) and tornadoes don't happen that often. I think you will have plenty of research opportunities at both schools, though I personally know Iowa has a thriving research program with a big new building.

UF:
reputable program
Shands hospital

(cons):
Gainesville=boring

Iowa:
top hospital (UIHC)
tests weekly

(cons):
tornadoes
far from home

I'm in a similar situation as you. However, my instate is Iowa and the Florida school I'm looking at is UMiami. Having lived in Iowa for about 10 years now, the weather aspect is a VERY strong driving force in my decisions. The winters are way longer than 4 months and I have been asking myself why anyone would force themselves to live in this. (Keep in mind that I used to really love snow when I first moved here.)

It's true that Iowa has rly great facilities and killer nightlife, but when it is literally so cold that it is possible to get frostbite on the walk to class, and when there is snow on the ground 100+ days a year, it just doesn't seem to be worth it.

From your situation, maybe you would enjoy a change for a little bit. But I'm sure it will start to wear on you nearing the end of your 4 years here.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses! very helpful...i really would like to try living out of state for awhile and liked the atmosphere at Iowa much better...i guess my decision will be easier once the financial aid info of each school is given..

A physician I shadowed at UF got his MD at Carver in Iowa and is now on staff at UF. Off the record, he said everything about Carver, from the facilities to the teaching methods put UF's to shame. UF is good for sure, but coming from him, I can tell you that statement goes a long way and would certainly impact me if I were deciding between those two schools.

I would go to Iowa. Don't ruin your memories of undergrad at UF with medical school.

GO GATORS! :)

What is the name of the doctor you shadowed and in which area of medicine? I might shoot him an e-mail and ask a few questions.. do you know if he is on faculty as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.